Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 15:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Couple more questions

This may be answered as I finish the book, but..

In CAD you started by having 2 CM meals a day and 1 RM. It said no snacking. After 1 week you changed plans based on how much weight you lost that first week.

CALP states "In the same way, if you want a snack, you are free to enjoy any of the Craving-Reducing foods you desire, as well." pg 120 2001 edition. It also states to stay on the basic plan for 2 weeks, then at that time start doing the different options.

Would the CALP be a better plan as it is newer, or is it mostly for 40+ like the cover seems to imply? Is either plan better or are they just a little different? Also is snacking really allowed on CALP?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 19:02
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

IMHO, I don't really believe snacking is allowed on CALP past the same one snack that is on plan A in CAD.

IMHO, I really think CALP wasn't written that well on the diet part but rather expands on the diet to tailor the program to the 40+ crowd and to the triggers that might sabotage the chemistry behind the diet.

You have to remember that CAD is a complete book about the basic plan. In CALP they spend two pages saying follow the basic plan but never specify exactly what the basic plan is beyond craving reducing meals and snacks and a reward meal.

In CAD, however, they go quite thoroughly into the basic plan and the science behind the plan and reactions of the carbohydrate addict (CA) and why the CA should eat no more than 4 times total a day.

I've attended many of the Hellers lectures and seen many of their appearances and each time they reiterate that a CA should eat no more than 4 times total per day. And the reason is that not only do CA's react to carbohydrates with a release of normal than usual insulin levels but that higher insulin relases are also triggered when you eat more frequently, even when eating low carb foods...the reaction some Atkinsers encounter as well.

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Sat, Jan-17-04 at 19:06.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 19:14

Plan: CAD
Stats: 148/127.5/124 Female 5ft
BF:28%/25%/20
Progress: 85%
Talking oops

Zuleikaa , I wish I would have known about the differences before ordering my CALP book. I liked the CAD because it was alittle less strict and I thought I would be able to followit better . I couldn't find it online (ebay) so I ordered CALP, I am also getting The Zone with the same purchase. It will be fun to read that again...well maybe not fun. It is rather combersome.

I bought the CALP program book. I thught it was like a journal for CALP but it is about emotional eating etc. I don't really eat for those reasons. I eat mostly because of cravings and boredom...I haven't started the book yet but I will probably go through it anyway.

You really wanted to know all that didn't you?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 19:20
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

For the zone, get Mastering the Zone. It's easier to follow and has more of the actual diet. The first is more of the science and kind of goes of fin different directions and is scattered.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:16

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

I have both the CAD book and the CALP.. The CALP book does allow snacking, but they don't really say how many times you can snack. They sort of say, it is best if you try not to snack, but if you must make sure that you include both LC veggies and protein. However, they did say when you first start the diet if you are hungry to go ahead and have some protein with LC veggies. They said they would rather see you do that then to eat carbs. Do this only if you feel that you might blow it when you first start out. They do have a time rule for snacking too. Once you eat, you are not suppose to eat anything again for at least 90 minutes.

My personal opinion is once you start CAD/CALP after you have been on it for 3-4 days, you will find that you don't really have the urge to snack. Your body sort of gets into balance and you are not hungry. At least this is what happens to me and I think to most of us doing CAD.

Good Luck. This is a wonderful plan to follow.