Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 21:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Atkins Diet Goes on a Diet"

Atkins Diet Goes on a Diet

Atkins Educator Recommends Limiting Saturated Fat to 20%

By Jeanie Lerche Davis, WebMD Medical News
Reviewed By Michael Smith, MD on Wednesday, January 21, 2004

link to article

Jan. 21, 2004 -- For years, many people have thought of the Atkins diet as an all-you-can-eat meat, eggs, and cheese buffet.

But in seminars across the country, health professionals are hearing a different tune. An Atkins educator has reportedly said that only 20% of a dieter's calories should come from saturated fat, according to a recent New York Times story.

After all these years, is the Atkins organization reacting to criticisms that the diet advocates too much saturated fat? WebMD spoke with an Atkins advisor and other experts in nutrition and heart disease.

"Nothing has changed," Stuart Trager, MD, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council, tells WebMD. "Our message is still the same. Atkins is, and always has been, about controlling carbohydrates -- teaching people to eat nutrient-dense whole foods and avoid refined carbohydrates like white flour and sugar."

Atkins never did -- and still does not -- prescribe amounts of fats or protein, Trager explains. "Instead, we teach people to be aware of and control carbohydrate consumption. When we eat a variety of protein sources and fats to satiate hunger, we eat less because the food tastes good and is filling. Without portion restriction, this has been shown to result in weight loss."

Do the Math

The "20% number" in the Times article was derived from meal plans and recipes in Atkins books, he says. In fact, during the diet's induction phase, people typically consume up to 60% of calories from fat.

If 60% is divided into thirds -- to reflect the variety of monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, and saturated fats that Atkins espouses -- the magic number pops up: 20% of calories would be from saturated fat.

"It's important and worth recognizing that both steak and eggs are a balance of fats," Trager tells WebMD. "In a porterhouse steak, saturated fat makes up 17% of total fat. In an egg, including the yolk, saturated fat is only 18% of total fat."

Read the Books

The Atkins diet is vastly misunderstood, says Trager. "Atkins has never been, as the media and opponents would have people believe, a red-meat diet," says Trager. "We need to spend less time criticizing individual nutrition strategies and more attention in defeating obesity. Weight loss solutions aren't one-size-fits-all."

The problem is, "An awful lot of people who follow these high-protein/low-carb plans haven't read the books," says Cindy Moore, MS, RD, director of nutrition therapy at The Cleveland Clinic. She is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

"What they've gleaned from magazines or newspapers or pictures is what they think the diet is -- a double cheeseburger without the bun, with extra bacon and cheese," Moore tells WebMD.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 21:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/246.5/230 Male 74 inches
BF:??/19/12
Progress: 73%
Default Wow, What is going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
The problem is, "An awful lot of people who follow these high-protein/low-carb plans haven't read the books," says Cindy Moore, MS, RD, director of nutrition therapy at The Cleveland Clinic. She is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

"What they've gleaned from magazines or newspapers or pictures is what they think the diet is -- a double cheeseburger without the bun, with extra bacon and cheese," Moore tells WebMD.

Am I reading this right? Is she actually defending low carb diets? She's right btw, most people just eat a bunch of meat and call it Atkins, then wonder why it doesn't work.

Later,
wsgts
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 21:48
OOOOOOOOOH YEAH!

Plan: High Fat/IF
Stats: 215/170/160 Male 5 feet 10 inches
BF:27%/12%/8%
Progress: 82%

«The problem is, "An awful lot of people who follow these high-protein/low-carb plans haven't read the books," says Cindy Moore, MS, RD, director of nutrition therapy at The Cleveland Clinic. She is also a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association.

"What they've gleaned from magazines or newspapers or pictures is what they think the diet is -- a double cheeseburger without the bun, with extra bacon and cheese," Moore tells WebMD»

Well, if they haven't read the book, they've got no one to blame but themselves if it doesn't work their way..
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-28-04, 22:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You know that, and I know that, but they'll blame the diet anyway!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 07:45

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
What they've gleaned from magazines or newspapers or pictures is what they think the diet is -- a double cheeseburger without the bun, with extra bacon and cheese," Moore tells WebMD»

Actually that would probably work for weight loss. Except that eventually most people would get tired of double cheeseburgers and hopefully read the book in order to get some ideas about what else they could eat.

Well..... I hope
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 10:00

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

i don't think it would work for health reasons .. just reading an erroneous article or two will not tell them about the vegetables they can eat or the importance of vitamins etc.

I really don't understand why anyone would make such a drastic change to their diet without reading up on it first. I mean heck even when i did that stupid cabbage soup diet i read the xeroxed sheet about it i got from someone at the hospital lol

Last edited by odyssey : Thu, Jan-29-04 at 10:04.