Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 07:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 198/177/167
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default 2 months+, now gaining weight

For the past three days I have been GAINING weight. Every day, it goes up. I'm going to be close to hysterical. I usually gain a little over the weekend but it comes back off. TOM is OVER and that's NOT it. I now weigh 2.4 pounds MORE than last Monday and 1.2 pounds MORE than TWO weeks ago.

Is there any point to staying on this? It's not like I cheat all weekend. I do LC even if I am out at restaurants. Oh, I had A LITE BEER on Saturday. Should that make me gain 3 pounds? No, I don't think so! Even my calories aren't too bad; I know I couldn't have eaten 10,500 calories more than I needed in the past three days.

I am very discouraged. I was down almost 16 pounds and now it's back up to 12. I've been LCing since the beginning of JULY and this is NOT COOL.

I also hurt my back on Saturday and have been taking it easy. But I don't usually work out on the weekends, so basically I just took yesterday off - one day not walking shouldn't do that. Would vicodin and muscle relaxants make me gain 3 pounds? If so, I may need to ignore the pain (OW!) because the depression that is hitting me now with the weight going up daily is bad. I never get this depressed, but then I never see the weight keep going up, day after freakin day.

Help?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 07:39

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Sroo, drinking alcohol....any alcohol even if it's "lite" dehydrates your system.

Your body is most likely retaining water from the beer you drank.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 07:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/157.5/140
BF:
Progress: 54%

The medications could be causing your problem. I had to take some muscle relaxers and pain medication a few months ago, and it caused me to "gain" 6 pounds. I dropped 8 pounds the week after I quit taking the medication. In other words, your body is probably just hanging on to some water.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 10:28
Registered Member

Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Sroo2...

Don't throw in the towel, whatever you do. I know it is frustrating, I've been there. I stopped LCing about 3 years ago when I saw little progress and then started to go up. It made me think that this WOE was NOT for me, that my body simply didn't respond to a plan like this. I went on to low-fat diet, and without strenuous exercise, over the past 2 years I put back on abot 30 lbs.

I haven't had major success this time either so far. But what I can say is that I have sabotaged my efforts at least a dozen times since June, and now I'm UP 6 pounds. This prompted me to restart from day 1 (See my post if you like). I am serious about making sure that I'm at least doing it correctly this time without the indulgences. At least until I get closer to goal and have some room to spare.

Hang in there, begin again if you need to, or just pick up the pieces and make the necessary changes. This week you should drink as much water as you can and fill up on fiberous veggies. Maybe getting your system cleaned out really well will get you back on the losing track.

I hope so!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 10:41

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Sroo2
in the grand scheme of things its only a few pounds!
Have you ever heard the saying " the more attention you put on something the bigger it gets" ?

Sometimes I think the more you worry about your weight the harder it is to take off. Be proud of the weight you have lost and remind yourself that it took time to put on, so it will take abit of time to also take it off.

dont know if that helps, but be gentle with yourself, your weight will disappear... I also heard that rather than saying you 'lost' weight, you should say you 'gave' it away!!

hang in there!
d
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 12:10

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default And...

Don't forget that when you are injured, the body hangs on to water. It uses this water to heal itself (to grow new cells, wash away refuse from the damaged ones, etc.) Don't begrudge it what it needs to do its job.

-G.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 13:18

Stats: 278/198/150 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 63%

I think you realize by now we have all been there. The weight goes up for no apparent reason - no cheats, no nothing to cause it. But as you rightly point out - you have to eat 3500 calories extra to gain a pound. So if you didn't eat those calories you could not have gained weight and it is just water. When that happens to me I drink a ton of water (at least 1 glass/hour - usually 2) and in a day or two it comes off. Good luck and keep drinking that water
Catmom