Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/178/180 Male 68''
BF:?/13%/10%
Progress: 102%
Default I crave Frozen Drinks...Any Suggestions

After almost 11 months of this WOE, I really miss going to my favorite coffee place, and getting my daily fix of a great frozen drink.

I love frozen drinks. Of all foods, what I miss most are these amazing frozen drinks called "Ice Blendeds" from The Coffee Bean, an L.A. institution-they are similar to Starbucks frozen mocha drinks, but they are much better (IMHO).They sell the mix, and they have a "no sugar added" version, but it is still about 25-30 grams of carbs per serving. I love fruit smoothies, but obviously, these won't work. I can not figure out how to create a great frozen drink that I will like that will be a reasonable # of carbs.

I thought about buying unsweetened cocoa, but I do not want to use heavy cream instead of milk. I have tried blending Crystal Lite, unsuccessfully.

If any of you have ideas, please help. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 23:18

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 223/207/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

I haven't tried this, but what about plain yogurt, cream/milk, DaVinci syrup, and ice blended together? I bet you could add folgers instant coffee crystals for coffee flavor,

Mmmm, I might have to try that

Last edited by Jessica : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 23:19.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:18

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I have fruit smoothies from time to time, although I've never counted the carbs. I'm sure its pretty high, but on OWL you can have 1/2 cup cream, so after almost five months, I justify slipping from Induction to OWL sometimes...lol. Anyway...I take 1/2 cup heavy cream, two packets of Splenda and four or five strawberries, about another 1/4 to 1/2 cup water depending on how thick I want the smoothie to be, add several cubes of ice and blend away. Its delicious!!!!

I would think another way would be to make Koolaid with splenda and freeze it until its partially frozen, blend and drink...or mix the Koolaid slush with a little cream to thicken it.

Jake has some great ideas for frozen icecream, so you could make a milkshake of some sort with berries as well.

L
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 06:30

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 236/207/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

What I have tried is the atkins shakes and stick them in the freezer until they are semi frozen, slushy like and throw them in your blender for a few seconds and then drink them, its like an ice cold milkshake. They also have the cafe au lait flavor drink. The other thing I have tried also is the same thing but with a bottle of crystal light and its like a fruit slushy..YUMMY I enjoyed these little treats.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 08:54
Registered Member

Stats: 160/141/132 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

This morning I had a cup of soya milk with one scoop of strawberry protein powder and lots of ice and whizzed it up in the blender with some splenda. IT was very refreshing! I've also made it with Swiss Miss hot drink mix and a decaf coffee, which has about 6 grams of carbs I think, plus the soya would make it around 10 maybe.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:48

Stats: 225/207.5/170 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 32%

Fishfish, I TOTALLY get what you're saying. I'm a 110% Black Forest, with whip, easy ice addict. Coffee Bean is, nay WAS my morning pal. I'd get one almost every single day. It is/was delicious and kept me full till around lunch time, but the sugar, carbs are incredibly high (I cheated a bit and had one yesterday after about 3 weeks of no cheating at all).

I had every intent of just having a nice healthy smoothie (at 86, yes, 86 carb grams) but decided if I was really going to waste my carbs, I'd do it on the coffee. My point, well I don't really have one, I can't seem to find a substitute for those days where you feel like you just need your good coffee. I guess I'd just give in occassionally rather than have a complete blow out and eat everything bad in sight (which is what I would probably do, if I deprived myself completely). Good luck in finding a great substitute!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 10:59

Stats: 286/286/165 Female 66 inches
BF:46%/46%/22.5 or <
Progress: 0%
Default Here's a couple of coffee drinks

Here's what I made this morning (thanks to nana):

1 scoop Keto chocolate fudge shake mix
1/4 cup half'n'half (or cream)
3/4 cup double-strength coffee
6-8 ice cubes

Throw it all in the blender for about 30 seconds.

On other mornings, I make this:
(for two)
1/4 cup whatever flavor SF DaVinci syrup floats your boat
3/4 cup half'n'half or cream
1-1/4 cup double-strength coffee
6-8 ice cubes (or more)

Throw it all in the blender for about 30 seconds.
My basic ratio is:
1 part flavoring
3 parts cream-type product
5 parts double-strength coffee
Adjust to your own taste

The first recipe is thicker than the second. It just depends on what you're going for.

HTH, Shari
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:01

Stats: 165/165/135 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I saw a suggestion *somewhere*around here that has my name written all over it.

LC chocolate shake + good strong coffee + ice ...blend into a LC frappucino yum
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:20

Thanks for all of your replies. I appreciate the ideas....Regarding the Atkins shakes, I have tried this, and I just hate the taste of those things. I tried the Crystal Lite idea also, but so far, I have not had success with the consistency. I will try the other suggestions, although I am wary of using a lot of heavy cream or half and half due to the richness and the calories.

FYI, especially Bina and others in SoCal, I went to The Coffee Bean, and the 16 oz. Mocha blended w/out sugar has 21 carb grams; so maybe an occasional indulgence, and just drinking about half might be OK - I guess it depends on what your own individual limits are.

I have indulged in Carbolite to get my frozen fix, but I do not like the g.i. effects, and I am not crazy about eating such processed, engineered foods.

Thanks for all of your suggestions; even though this seems trivial, I would love to figure out something that satisfies this craving w/out blowing out my carb count.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:34
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

You can get 0 carb protien shake mixes that taste alot better then Atkins. I like EAS premade. You might also try only using 1 scoop of the Atkins shake, that's about the only way I can do it. Just use cold coffee or instant for flavoring. If your not lactose intolerent use cream, if you are then use a low carb soy milk. Unsweetened plain yogurt, basicaly just experiment with throwing things in the blender

After induction you can even throw in some le carb icecream, cold coffee and have a milk shake of sorts.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:56

Stats: 194/164/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

My kids enjoy frozen drinks that we make in something called a "slush mug" -- you can find them at stores like walmart. You freeze the plastic insert to the mug and after it's solidly frozen, you add your favorite drink and stir until whatever liquid is in it comes out with the consistency of a 7/11 Slurpee drink.

I've added decaf coffee, splenda and a little cream to one of them and it came out delicious. Also, I've frozen Kool-Aid and splenda drinks, herbal teas with lemon and splenda and lemonade made with splenda.

Pam
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 11:56

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: 185/183/160 Female 5'5
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 8%

I also live in the general area fishfish and I LOVE the NSA Blended mochas. I indulge on occasion. Not all of the carbs are "sugar". 20 carbs is just that. 20 carbs. Carb fear is as bad as the "Fat" fear the American people have. So have one as a treat once in a while.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:17

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

I too love frozen coffee drinks and have yet to find a recipe that is exactly what I want. However I do have some suggestions of things to try. Try is the operative word. Make small amounts and experiment with combinations until you find something acceptable.

Try Whey Low instead of artificial sweeteners. It has net carbs of 1 per teaspoon versus 4 for sugar and it tastes like sugar-really. I generally use a combination of Whey Low with Splenda and/or flavorings made with Splenda.

Try adding Thicken Thin Not Sugar to improve the mouth feel of the drink.

Get a blender that can really crush ice so you get a nice texture.

Try tofu, cream diluted with water, 1/2 & 1/2 or coconut milk for the "diary" in the drink. Look at labels as different brands have really different carb counts.

Try various flavorings to see which you like the best (chocolate, vanilla, caramel, others).

Start with really good coffee (best if decaf)-strong to compensate for the ice.

Good luck and keep trying. Eventually we will find a combination that is great.

I have tried the Atkins shake mix and to me it has an uncooked starch taste that is not pleasant.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 11:40

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Oh goodness. I used to be a daily Starbucks addict. I loved caramel frappuccinos and the mocha ones were just the best. This is a little creation I have come up with that comes pretty close.

8.5 oz of cold water
1 cup of crushed ice
1 tablespoon of heavy cream
3 teaspoons of instant coffee (I only add this when I need a kick)
1 Tablespoon of SF chocolate Syrup
2 heaping scoops of Atkins chocolate shake Mix
1 pkt of splenda (only if I am adding the coffee otherwise it is sweet enough)

Blend together in the blender until it is like a milk shake and then add another Tablespoon of the SF choc syrup on top and a tablespoon of cool whip or homemade whipped cream with the whipping cream and splenda. It is really good. I love these things.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 13:02

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is nice to see that there so many people as obsessed with this as I am.

CoolAzChic, your recipe looks really good to me, I am going to try it.