Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 10:12

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default Eating before or after exercise

ok , firstly sorry for this question which I am sure you have discussed many times -I am a newbie just started BFL 4 weeks ago, but I am following the Atkins diet.

I have a query regarding the following point from an article I read:

Eating before exercise - Always wait until after exercising to eat. This makes your workout or exercise session more efficient and raises your metabolism. Eating after your metabolism is up causes food to be used more quickly by your body and replenishes your muscles.

I have been reading so many articles and talking to different trainers, and they all recommend to eat something high in protein before exercise then eat something carby after 45 minutes from your exercise finish!!!

there are so many theories about this, and I am not sure who or what is the best solution!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 13:21

Plan: Sugarbusters
Stats: 215/155/145 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 86%

If I am running more than an hour, I try to have a light snack. I try to have it well before running. If its under an hour, I wait.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 13:57

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default exercise and eating

kghamilton: thanks for your answer, I didn't meant to ask what is more comfortable, I wanted to know from maximizing muscle building point of view is it better to eat before or after the meal !!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 14:02

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

Here's what I've read on this board:

Cardio- Cardio burns fat best on an empty stomach. It is best to do cardio first thing in the morning. If you do cardio later in the day, do not eat for two hours before and one hour after.

Weights- You need fuel to get the energy to lift weights. Eat a carby snack 45 minutes before your workout for this energy. Try to then eat immediately after your weight training, within 45 minutes. It's best to ingest a great deal of protein to send to the muscles. Some carbs are also good at this time. Avoid fat, as it will interfere with the deliverance of the other nutrients. I drink an Isopure shake (40g protein, 0g carb, 0g fat) and eat half an apple (8g carb).

Hope that helps and that that info is correct.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 16:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

It might depend on your short-term goals. To lose weight, avoid carbs and pack in the protein. To gain muscle, eat enough carbs to keep your energy levels high and lots of protein.

On an empty stomach I find it difficult to run well. I generally am forced to drop to a jogging rate. After a run I know my body needs some carbs to replenish what was burned during exercise.

Fats and protein take forever to digest and move out of the stomach. I would take some carbs shortly before the run and some more immediately after the run. That might be the only carbs I eat that day. Fats suppress appetite and protein is needed to repair muscle injury from running. So breakfast is a cheese omelet. If I run at lunch I'll have carbs before and after: Vegetable salad, perhaps. For dinner it's salmon with nuts for desert.

This is a guess, but for building muscle I might eat protein before and after a workout. As a weight lifter 25 years ago, I would munch protein pills all through the workout.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 16:18

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

Sandy, they are probably recommending carbs post workout to get an insulin spike, usually via dextrose or fruit juice. Following lowcarb, you don't want to do that. You should have a low carb protein shake right after your workout though. You don't have to wait 45 minutes to have it.

Everything that Angela put, I agree with with 100%, one addition in regards to protein and lifting, that is in synch somewhat with what the trainer said. I've read you should have a decent portion of protein around 3 hours before you lift. This will give your body the fuel to get the workout done.

I have found I can do cardio on an empty stomach, but no way can I lift on an empty stomach. Just my own experience. Good luck!