Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 23:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/141/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 87%
Unhappy Discouraged and Are my goals realistic on Atkins?

I am feeling a little discouraged tonight.

I have been doing Atkins for a while now. I love this WOE ... but ....

I have never been able to get to goal. I got down to 132 (size 6) last summer by eating over 80% fat only. It was almost a fat fast (not quite). I got tired of it of course. Eating induction style (20 carbs or less and sticking with the other induction rules) I can't get below 135 and that is with exercise.

I walk 30 minutes a day and do 1 hour of Pilates about 5 days a week. I can't get rid of this slight doughy handles.

Is my goal of 130 lbs. as a medium-build 5'8" female unrealistic? The only time I have been 130 is when I was 14 (and grew from 5'2" to 5'8" within one year and again when I was eating seriously restrictive low-fat diet right after college (and lost 30 lbs at that time).

I got rid of the scale and decided to go by measurements recently but my measurements have not gone down a bit.

I fell off the wagon (eating way too many of the good foods) after a move a couple months ago and am now back on and keeping good track of everything I eat with a database program I wrote for myself. I got back up to size 10.

For the past several weeks I have been eating small 200 cal meals (about 6 a day) and keeping my fat above 70%. I eat no more than 20 grams of carbs a day and drink between 70 - 100 oz of water a day.

I am starting to think about it too much. Over-analyzing what I am eating ... trying to find the right combination that gets rid of my last bit of doughiness.

I am not sure what I am asking ... I am just feeling discouraged. Thinking maybe I should switch back to the Zone. But it is so complicated and I love foods with fat. It is hard to stay motivated to keep up the exercise and the WOE when I feel like I am getting nowhere. Am I being too impatient?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 23:28

BF:
Default Oh and ... Off the "sauce"

Oh ... wanted to add ... I posted that I was having problems not drinking so many Diet Rites ... I am now down to 1 or max of 2 a day.

Could that be causing a problem? So far that is the only sweetner I have a day. I have lost in the past while drinking diet rite so I don't think that could be the problem. tho ... maybe my body is changing and artificial sweetners are stalling me?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 23:28

Stats: 256/198/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 48%

I personally feel that 130 is too thin for someone of your height. I think your body is trying to tell you something.
Rather than focus on numbers, why don't you focus on size. If you're feeling a bit doughy, then exercise more to firm everything up.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-07-04, 23:34

BF:

Thanks Sweet Pea. I think maybe you are right ... stopped weighing myself. I have been exercising quite a bit (as much as I can fit in working 10 hour days and being a single mom (at the moment) to my 4-year-old.

I have been fitting in walking during my half-hour lunch and make sure I do a Pilates tape each evening. I am seeing slow progress (more strength and flexibility) but I guess I am being too impatient.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 00:04

Stats: 265/247.5/145 Female 5'4.25"
BF:50%/46%/15%
Progress: 15%

Medium frame and 135 for a person your height, yeah, that is rather unrealistic. But don't think you are alone in how you feel. I get discouraged too. I want my body to be fit and perfect. But you have to remember, you have a little extra skin from being heavier at one point. It is going to take time and effort on your part to get it toned. Stop the dieting, go into maintance and live a little. Your work out schedule seems fine. Just add some weight training in your mix, (alternate pilates and circuit training) and you should see results. I personally recommend the Beach body series. They really do work, http://www.beachbody.com
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 00:07

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi there! Oh yeah--130 pounds on a medium-sized 5'8" frame would put you right up there with a wraith! A size 6 doesn't quite fit that height, either--should be around size 8-10.

Here's a copy and paste from the Recommended Weight Tables for Women (with a little formatting):
Height 5'08":
18-24 Yrs., 147 lbs.
25-34 Yrs., 155 lbs.
35-44 Yrs., 159 lbs.
45-54 Yrs., 168 lbs.
55-64 Yrs., 167 lbs.

At 130 pounds, you'd be pretty under-weight.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 00:30

BF:

Thanks for the info ladies. Anything above 140 and I feel too heavy.

Vanity ... which one of the series on Beach Body do you use? My home at the moment is really small so Pilates has been the perfect solution since it doesn't require a lot of space. Just room enough for my mat.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 08:14
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

130 is prolly too low... but bet. 135 and 140 may be realistic. Of course, it's kind of useless to debate numbers, because each person is different. I think the fact that you chose a goal weight from age 14 is indicative of what is wrong with your thinking - you aren't 14 anymore! You are older, you've had a child - if you set unrealistic expectations, it's no wonder you are frustrated.

Here is what I suggest you think about -

1. When you ate badly, you went back up to a size 10. So keep eating right, without frustration, just because that's what's good for you. You may be able to do something in between strict induction and bingeing - see what adding some healthy carbs does for you.

2. Most of us have a "problem area". If you have love handles, but are otherwise a healthy weight, maybe you can change your exercise routine, or simply learn how to dress to accentuate your better attributes. A weight training routine might do the trick.

At 135, you must be awfully thin, and I can't imagine having to be as tough on yourself as you are.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 09:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am 5'4'' at the most and a small frame. My goal is to 125 lbs but if I made it to 130 I would be happy. I think that 130 lbs for a medium frame at 5'8'' is a bit thin. I am not a fan of skinny. I think that you should find out what you should weigh at your heighth and age. However, I believe that your body has already told you that answer.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 09:10

Stats: 235/214/160 Female 5' 8"
BF:40
Progress: 28%

I'm slightly taller then you and am aiming for a healthy weight of 155. Depending on your bone structure, you can go from 138 to 158. Based on the body mass index, you are already below your ideal weight. I used to weigh 130 ~ 5' 8" and was always considered too skinny. Now that I'm 25 years older, I'd be happy with 155.

also noted that you have a four year old. The soft doughy skin that you talk about are probably from having a child, not from excess weight.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 09:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'm 5'8" too. I think I managed to get to 125 pounds once as an adult. I have a very small frame. It was about impossible for me to maintain that weight though. 130 pounds might be unrealistic for you, depends on your age. As you get older it gets harder to be that skinny, unless you are that skinny naturally.

If you're exercising, eating low calorie and low carb and your weight and measurements won't budge, and you're giving it enough time (like months, not weeks), then perhaps your body is trying to tell you something.

On the other hand, it could indicate a thyroid problem too.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 09:47

Plan: Atkins, low cal
Stats: 150/116/117 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 103%

Let me tell you- I am down to 111 pounds myself. And I am 5'3". That's small. But I still look in the mirror and see pockets of fat, and little imperfections. Now more than ever, in fact. But you know what? As a woman, you are SUPPOSED to have a little fat around the middle. it's healthy. Remember, supermodels with flat stomachs-not real. Airbrushed.

Easier said than done, I know, not worrying about the minor imperfections. But try to focus on the big picture! I have been trying to do that lately, and it is helpful. Do not freak out about a little extra there, because chances are, no one else sees it but you.

I always have to remind myself that people aren't looking at me, saying "wow, look at that little bit of fat on her stomach there..." haha
  #13   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 09:59

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

We are always the hardest on ourselves. I was helping my mother try on clothes for a wedding, and she was grabbing these figure hiding things. I told her she'd lost 40 pounds, start acting like it. And she found a dress she loved.

She doesn't have the perfect figure. I don't have the perfect figure. I was thrilled to get down to a 10, but there was a lady in the fitting room trying on 8's...and I started thinking...what would I have to do? I'm planning to exercise more, and I really like the way I eat, I'm tall with wide shoulders, long arms and legs...how much do I want to suffer to get to a size 8?

I'm in Atkins because it means no suffering! I'm not going to obsess.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 11:06

Stats: 275/187/165 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I, too, am 5'8" tall and I am hoping for 165 by my next birthday (in April). About 12 years ago I went on a drastic diet called a "protein sparing modified fast" under doctors care. I ate 12 oz. of protein daily and lots of fluids, took prenatal vitamins and exercised like a fool. I finished at 175 lbs and a size 10!! I had never been a size 10 in my life. I was all muscle. And I was miserable! Got a divorce, a boyfriend, and started eating again. It took 10 years to gain it all back, but I did it!!! (sarcasm intended)
Got rid of the boyfriend, got my life back, now am married to a wonderful guy.
I have embarked on a whole new WOE with Atkins. I have lost about 20 lbs in 7 1/2 weeks with lots to go. I feel great. I exercise 3X per week. And I plan to be successful!
What I am trying to say is that your perception of yourself is very important but it must be realistic. If 130 does not create boney protrusions then perhaps it is right for you. But don't let yourself get too skinny. It is not healthy and surely is not attractive.
Good luck!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, May-08-04, 11:33

Plan: Jenny Craig
Stats: 240.4/194/165 Female 5'6" - large frame
BF:soft/round/cuddly
Progress: 62%

Check out my post on "why a refeed works in thoery".......I think you need to up your calories to at least twice as much using mostly high fat content foods (cheese excluded) and you can also up your carbs to between 30-40gs in the form of more veggies. Give it a week and see how it works. I went through the exact same thing as you until I came up with this theory, tested it and am now moving on easy weightloss street.