Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 07:59
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Rude comments questions or stares at the thanksgiving table?

I survived thanksgiving but I decided to stick with my LCing. A friend of the family was there and just watching what I ate the whole time (salad and turkey)
Nothing else was low carb and I was fine with that. Desserts I brought my own.

She finally asked me why I was eating this way, I told her because it was better for me healthier etc.

She seemed to get very offended said she was diagnosed with PCOS and they put her on some fanatic low carb diet but she just prefers to take her pills and eat what she wants because there comes a point where you are at a thanksgiving table and you cant eat like a normal person... she just went on and on.

Honestly I was quite happy with my turkey and salad I tried telling her that and I was practically accused of lying becuase I said I really didnt want the rice or potatoes or anything.

Deserts were tempting but nothing I couldnt resist. I have had them all before and knew what I was missing. I enjoyed my LC ice cream and chocolate just fine.

Did anyone else get any nasty comments from people at the thanksgiving table?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 08:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

No rude questions or comments. In fact, my fiance's family was quite accommodating.

That didn't stop them from discussing the long term "non-"viability of the diet. I chose not to get into any discussions regarding the value of fat or the long term (greater than a year to them) effects. Instead, I decided to let them believe how they wanted and fight those battles later on when my results speak for themselves.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 08:08

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

OMG! Almost exact same thing happened to me! (check out my journal for full story!) I just had turkey and then I brought a pumpkin bake and had that. I could have had corn or carrots and rutabagas but I simply didnt want them! The rude comments came from my aunt though who is only a few years older and is *perfect*. Always been skinny and petite and now Im skinnier than her and weigh less and me and my mom think shes just jealous hehe. While Im not happy at my weight and very self conscience and trying to GAIN some back it makes me feel better to finally have beaten her at something. Thats so awful
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 08:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Did anyone else get any nasty comments from people at the thanksgiving table?

Nope. They were all too busy stuffing themselves with all the great low carb food I had prepared.
Seriously, it was just my family this year and they are all quite used to how I eat. I just asked my DH if he felt like he had missed anything yesterday and he said, "Heck no!". I included one high carb item (homemade yeast rolls) and a few highER carb items such as baked yams and cranberry compote for the rest of the family and everyone was quite happy with the meal. My kids were so full, they didn't even want dessert.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 08:41
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Your friend is jealous!!

It bugs the HECK out of me when people condemn those of us who choose to SOLVE the problem instead of popping pills as a band-aid solution.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 09:13
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

I got some questioning looks, but everyone kept their comments to themselves, thank goodness. I was just waiting for the *it's a holiday, can't you just enjoy yourself..blah blah) I enjoyed myself just fine with the cheesy cocktail meatballs I brought for an appetizer, fresh veggies, plenty of turkey, cheesy cauliflower and the dessert I made (which they all enjoyed as well ) There were 2 things I avoided, knowing that if I tried *just a little* it would trigger a snarf fest, alcohol and the baked brie my sister makes. I could eat the WHOLE thing it is THAT good.

I am SO proud of myself!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 09:22
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I for the most part didn't run across any resistance... I did partake in some german potato salad.. and about 2 small spoons of stuffing But the topic of my weight loss since everyone saw me did come up... my uncle is dating a woman who is a doctor... she had nothing nice to say about the long term affects of the diet... I told her she should read the newer additions of the book.. and how now there are steps to adding back healthy carbs.. and how you can now subract fiber... Told her that i have never eaten more veggies in my life..

She did say.. well i guess if thats the case then fine.. but you're basically working your way back to a healthy diet (which you should have been doing all along)
Some people have alot of nerve ya know??
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 09:26

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

People cannot understand that those of us who are low carbing have a have the defense mechanism called "willpower". I made mashed potatoes for dinner and did not touch them,well, with the help of my mashed cauliflower. Oh, I also made cheesecake that Arie had posted on the recipe site. I ate damn well, y'all...maybe too well.

Black57
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 09:37
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I was the cook, and the table was filled with family, so they could like it or lump it

Everyone had turkey of course. That turned out great. And the gravey was LC. It was giblet free because some idiot *raises her hand* didn't find the giblet bag until finishing carving the turkey to put away :P It did have turkey neck and chicken broth though

The biscuits were ok once you put butter and LC jam on it. The cranberry sauce, also LC, was a tad tart but good, and the pumpkin nut bake turned out exactly like pumpkin pie

The mushroom stuffing turned out nasty. I made stovetop for the non LC'ers and the baby. And for dessert LC pie with LeCarb homeade Vanilla

Next time maybe take an LC dish with you to share around the table. You don't have to tell anyone it's LC or anything. I highly recomend the pumpkin nut bake.

As for the friend who went nuts ranting, just smile and say "Really? I prefer not to drug myself with pills just so I can eat like a pig when instead I can feel great and improve my health by eating great foods like this turkey."
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 10:09

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

I ate whatever I wanted-it was delicious, now back to low carb.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 10:14

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

No problems here, but I'm the cook! Made regular stuffing for the family but also made the pumpkin bake, aspargus, whipped turnips (with two white meat sweet potatoes added - yum) cole slaw with apples and walnuts (added cinnamon too and WOW, it was great), homemade sf cranberry sauce plus canned for who ever wanted. Everyone loved the pumpkin bake, especially the non low carbers.

Made great low carb cookies plus bought a small box of SF candy for desert. Mom brought regular cookies and a box of candy for everyone else. Didn't miss pie, the pumpkin bake was so similar. We didn't have the cookies and coffee for several hours we were so stuffed from the dinner.

I went up one pound, considering the amount of food I consumed (low carb but still....) I'm very happy.

On to the leftovers!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 10:22
Registered Member

Stats: 161/141/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel66668
I ate whatever I wanted-it was delicious, now back to low carb.

I'm with you on this one!
I didn't pig out on anything but did have a little of it all. Now back to LC!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 10:48

Stats: 180/158/135 Female 5'2
BF:A Lot
Progress: 49%

There were 29 people at my family's Thanksgiving celebration this year, so we were divided into three banquet tables. This meant that only 8 people questioned why I was eating turkey (we had regular, oven baked turkey and smoked turkey) and ham (smoked as well) with some salad and green beans only. I informed them that I was eating lowcarb and just got...strange looks. People kept offering me stuffing and such but I resited. I went and played football outside with my cousins after dinner so I would have no reason to even think about the 8 different pies and the chocolate cake that were there waiting to be eaten.

The only problem I DID have was those pumpkin shaped candy corn pieces. I probably had...10 of them. Oops! My addiction to sugar took over me and before I knew it I had to move the bowl, as they were on the table right in front of me. I did find a yummy appetizer, though. It's salami (not the best for you but won't break the LC trend, either) with a little cream cheese spread on top and then a peppercini on top of that. You roll the salami up so it looks like a burrito, put a toothpick through it and voila! It is yummy! I had a few of those while everyone else munched on crackers/chips and dips and candies before the meal.

Oh, and it seems the candy didn't kill my diet, as I use the ketone tensing strips and still show that I'm in ketosis. Also, even though Monday is my weekley weigh-in and measure day, I weighed today out of curiosity and lost 2 lbs! Yay! This is especially good since I lost no inches or pounds last week.

Last edited by BlondeGirl : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 10:51.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 11:33

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

My biggest concern was that I stick to this WOE and, at the same time, not hurt my SIL's feelings. I accomplished both. In fact, I sat right beside my SIL, she took one look at my plate and said "Oh, you're on one of those low carb diets. Just please don't tell me it's that no carb, high protein Atkins." I smiled and said, "No, not no carb, high protein Atkins; low carb, moderate protein, high fat Atkins." She had (see - that's the past tense here) the usual misconceptions about Atkins being no carb and high protein. We had quite a discussion about it yesterday while all the boys were downstairs watching football. I think she has a much better understanding of what I'm doing now and there will be more low carb selections for Christmas.

I did take the pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting and everyone thoroughly enjoyed them.

Believe me, after my visit from the whoosh fairy yesterday morning, there was no way I was going to eat anything that's not part of this WOL!!

shortstuff
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 11:50
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I ate with friends and chronicled it in my journal if you want to read. I had turkey and salad. Not one comment....hooray!!