Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 23:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default questions for the experts

hey guys! i was wondering --

i know we have such a hard time finding things to eat out sometimes. i was curious, and browsing the menus for the fast food restraunts to see what i could eat on days when i couldn't fix my own meals, and good restraunts aren't cheap.

SO -

here's my question. for example, on a wendy's chicken salad, it's like, 60 grams of carbs. now, i think i remember reading from atkins book that salad stuff is good carbs and wouldn't that be subtracted from the fiber?? OH! i forgot to check the fiber!!

oh, but you understand the question, i hope?? the fiber you could subtract from the 60 g like atkins says, right? i'd appreciate anyone else's opinion!! thanks so much guys!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 00:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 204.5/157/142 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm no expert (maybe I shouldnt reply ) but I think the chicken is glazed or prepared with some sort of sugar coating and that could contribute to the carb count. After learning about McDonalds salads I just shy away from all the fast food salads. I figure I can just though one together at home (keeping the dressing seperate until I'm ready to eat) and save myself the money.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 00:09

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I'm by no means an expert.

Yes...you do subtract the fiber from the carbs...but 60 carbs for a chicken salad?!?!? There's got to be some stuff in there that you can take out to lower that! Does it have croutons or something? 60 carbs just seems SO outrageous for a chicken salad.

You should do a search for fast food options on these forums. There have been many threads about what people eat out. Try using the word 'restaurant' or something. Lots of good ideas! Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 01:42
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Well you subtract fiber but you need to look at what else is with the salad.

Looking at Wendys salads

The Spinach Chicken Salad
on the listing it shows with a sweet and sour bacon dressing 24g carbs
and Homestyle Garlic Croutons 9g carbs
So the salad including those has 43g carbs and 5 fiber

But if you substitute Caesar dressing and no croutons your salad just dropped to 11 carbs 4 fiber and no dressing at all would be 10 carbs 4 fiber. 6 or 7 carbs makes it much more reasonable now :-)

Their Chicken BLT salad same thing. It lists 30g carbs but take away the honey mustard dressing 11g carbs and their croutons 9 and we are back to the same basic of 10g -4 fiber

Wendys Manderin chicken salad is something that should be saved for late owl on up since it is more on the carby side. On its own it lists as 50g carbs

Keeping the almonds but removing the rice noodles and the sweet oriental dressing you have 21g carbs -6 fiber

Thats all for their chicken salads and I hoped it helped.

For more info you can go to www.wendys.com and customize a menu so you can see the nutritional info for each part.

Wendys dressings are very carby and thats where the majority of these carbs are coming from, but once you ditch that and the croutons you should be okay.

Their Ceasar dressing is the lowset in carbs with under 1g
Their Blue Cheese has 3
Ranch has 5

If you get a salad from them you might wanna keep some of your own dressing handy if you can and save on some of those carbs