Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 13:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/141/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Question Salmon Oil supplements

Does anyone out there use Salmon Oil in capsule form?
Why?
Does it help with constipation?
Does it help the diabetic?

I use Flax Seed Oil capsules, and I also take benefiber since I have a lot of problems with constipation or hard stools. I think from the blood pressure meds. I tried using Evening Primrose oil, and also Borage oil capsules. Primrose oil made it worse, and I don't seem to be able to tolerate the Borage Oil. I think it may have caused rise in blood sugar readings. Not sure.

Have heard that Salmon Oil is the better way to go.

Anyone have an opinion??

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-08-03, 21:03

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Hiya,

I was just rereading my Protein Power book, by the Drs. Eades and reviewing all the stuff on oils/fats and the whole eicosanoid cascade.

To my surprise, in their table of fats/oils (page 345) they show that flaxseed oil is very high in alphalinoleic acid - not something you want going into your system, due to it's tendency to move production toward the 'bad' eicosanoid direction.

That chapter (12) on 'The Microhormone Messengers: Meet the Eicosanoids is a worthwhile read I think.

They recommend almond oil, hazelnut oil, olive oil, safflower, light sesame and peanut, over the flaxseed oil. The fish oil is useful for offsetting the problem with the arachidonic acid, if one is sensitive to that, since that acid is another that apparently predisposes to pushing the eicosanoid production toward the negative stream.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 09:26
Registered Member

BF:
Question

From your post:
they show that flaxseed oil is very high in alphalinoleic acid - not something you want going into your system, due to it's tendency to move production toward the 'bad' eicosanoid direction.

WOW!

This subject is completely new to me, and I must acknowledge that I don't know anything about it. Can you tell me if they mean that no one should use flaxseed oil, or is there a particular group of folks who should not use it. I use it for several reasons:
1. constipation relief
2. I have arterial disease, have had 1 coronary stent, and have problems with the circulation in my legs.
3. Have high triglycerides, which I believe is caused by type 2 diabetes. Have not been tested since my blood glucose has been lowered, and I have lost 22 pounds.

Please can you give me more laymen term reasoning why we should not take flaxseed oil.

I would really appreciate it. Have not read Protein Power.

Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 12:40

Plan: Modified Low Carb
Stats: 320/273.8/270 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 92%

Well, I'll give it a stab. To explain why flaxseed oil may not be the best oil, I'll have to try to simply explain eicosanoids.

Eicosanoids are tiny chemical messengers, rather similar in a sense to the hormones insulin and glucagon, except that instead of being produced in a gland, and travelling around to 'service' your cells, eicosanoids are manufactured, used and destroyed, right inside your own cells. Their half-life is way shorter than even insulin and glugagon, so they have been really hard to study, but they have been studied to an extent and apparently the 1982 Nobel Prize was rewarded for research in this field. They've been able to identify over 100 or these little intracellular 'agents'.

What do they do? Well, these little messengers appear to be part of a mechanism for accomplishing a vast number of biochemically mediated processes in our cells, for example, they control and regulate such diverse functions as: blood pressure, blood clotting, inflammatory responses and reactions of the immune system, uterine contractions during birth, pain and fever symptoms in infection (the famous prostaglandin cascade that aspirin will block), constriction and dilatation of the airways and blood vessels and so on.

The production of these little messengers seems to fall into two streams, and in optimum health, it's not all to one direction or another, but a balance. In disease, it seems that the production has been pushed into the Series 2 or 'bad' direction and so you can begin to see symptoms of ill-health manifest.

The good or Series one Eicosanoids---> act as vasodilators, act as immune system enhancers, decrease inflammation, decrease pain, increase oxygen flow, increase endurance, prevent platelet aggregation, dilate airways, decrease cellular proliferation (ie like thickening of arteriole walls leading to hypertension).

The bad or Series two Eicosanoids---> act as vasoconstrictors, act as immune suppressors, increase inflammation, increase pain, decrease oxygen flow..in other words, their effects are pretty much the opposite of the Series one Eicosanoids.

In order to make these little messengers, our cells need lots of the main building block, which is Lineoleic Acid, found in many, many different foods, but particularly rich in animal foods. Getting the lineoleic acid into your cells is controlled by an enzyme called delta-6-saturase according to the Eades. Getting lots of dietary protein, enhances the function of that enzyme in order to get lots of the LA into your cells to be used, while there are several things that impede that enzyme including aging, stress, disease, transfatty acids, dietary alpha lineoleic acid and, a high carbohydrate diet.

So, basically, taking into your body something with very high level of alpha linoleic acid, is like blocking the flow to your cells of the important substance they need to make eicosanoids, the GOOD, as well as the bad. Sort of like cutting down or off the flow of gas or oxygen to your engine see?

Once the lineoleic acid does get inside your cells, there is another enzyme which determines to which extent you'll make good as opposed to bad, and that enzyme is influenced most by insulin and glugagon. Increased insulin, makes the cascade go toward the 'bad' ecosanoids, while glucagon (and the fish oils) tend to push the production more toward the good eicosanoid manufacture.

I hope that helps But the Eades do a really great job of explaining this really clearly, and if you have a chance to pick up a paperback copy, or maybe borrow it from a library even, it's really worth the read.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-03, 13:25
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me.

I don't seem to be mainfesting any ill side effects from taking the flaxseed oil, and it does seem to help with the constipation that I experience from the blood pressure drugs that I take. That, in fact, is the whole reason I started taking flaxseed oil, and benefiber. My blood pressure has been lower than it has been in a year. If I could find another supplement that would help with this constipation thing, I would definitely try it. I have Diverticulosis, which doesn't help matters much.

Thanks again, and if you have any other suggestions, I would really appreciate hearing your opinions.

toni