Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 23:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%
Angry "Oh, well you gotta cheat sometime..."

Aggh... I love my friends. Don't get me wrong... but I multiple times a week, I'm offered sugary/starchy drinks/snacks.... they encourage to cheat every once in a while. Their intentions are sweet... but ..........

People don't seem to understand that low-carbing isn't just a diet... it changes your body chemistry. Cheating on pizza as a low-fat dieter doesn't make you sick... but cheating on pizza as a low-CARB dieter COULD make you sick... or at least knock you out of ketosis.

Would they offer a cheat of roast beef to a vegetarian? No. Most people GET IT. For some reason, most people just do not get Atkins.

I feel like I consistently have to explain that cheating has real consequences with Atkins (getting knocked out of ketosis, tummy trouble, etc.)... but I'd rather not. How great would it be if that info was common knowledge?

Anyone dealing with this constantly too?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 23:12

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Luckily, no, but I don't hang out with a lot of casual acquaintances...and all my friends respect my choice to diet. (They also know I'm unpleasant when riled up >:þ).
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-01-04, 23:29
Flutterby

Plan: All that make sense
Stats: 220/212/160 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Planned Permission

So Far I am getting tremendous support, but maybe more so because of my diabetic situation..and they know its more life threatening for me at this point,and that I need to do something drastic right now. My husband is being very supportive, proactive with me.. he has never had a weight issue, I always joked that he ate, and I gained his weight for him... Granted watching hiim eat my beloved mashed potatoes and stuffing at the buffet today did give me a twinge.

As Far as cheating goes.. I guess that is your personal definition. Is it considered cheating if you give yourself permission to have something, in moderation... I think the key is to always use wisdom, self control, and balance.

if you know that having one will lead to another and another, then you arent ready for that particular food... If having one or what you allow yourself, then I think it could be a good thing.

I have read many posts here and elsewhere in the last few days, that say that people have set aside what they consider their 'treat'..and because they have given themselves permission, it takes the guilt factor away, AND some have even reported that after one bite they dont want any more.. isnt that funny? Typical forbidden fruit syndrome.

For instance.. if I were to make mashed potatoes, I would not be able to stop at just a spoonful right now, I am to early into all of this, and I know I would sit down and eat a whole bowl full with butter, sour cream and shredded cheese!

Key points to remember: BALANCE, PERMISSION, PlAN and ARE YOU in CONTROL at the moment?

JMHO!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 01:18

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 370/170/170 Male 6'1
BF:10%
Progress: 100%

ALL the time
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 04:10
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I have gotten that as a low carber and a vegetarian. Believe me, some people just don't get any of it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 06:49
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/209/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have a real hard time with this, and it got me yesterday cause I ate a slice of pizza. Now I am angry at myself because I don't want to be fat anymore, but I am also still a carb addict therefore I must say to myself--keep trying--no matter what keep trying. Today, I can feel the effects, but I'm back
Deb
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 07:46

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 310/216/225 Male 6'-4"
BF:34/20/20
Progress: 111%

When they say "Oh come on.....you can have just a little!"....

I say....."I really don't want any."

Then when they insist, I say....."I just don't eat stuff like than anymore. It's just not good for you!"

By then, they usually back off.

Bill........310/266/225........day 86
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 08:26

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I haven't had to deal with this a whole lot yet, but when I do, I will say this: "I occasionally have a moderate amount of something higher carb (which is true; I do). Since I only do it every once in a while, I choose foods that I really like. And that just doesn't look good to me at all."

If they push the issue, I will then say, "I'm not going to eat that food just to make YOU feel better about eating it."

I'm not a confrontational person by nature, but sometimes people just need to hear it like it is. I truly think that many people (the ones who haven't made a conscious choice about what to put in their mouths, usually) feel guilty indulging in something someone else is not, whether it be meat, sugar, or something else.