Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 06:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/217/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default a little puzzled

Hi, I have been LCing since 5/1 and lost 9 lbs the first week. Since then, I have been yo-yoing 1lb. I do aerobics 3x's a week (with a tape, low impact) and "weight training" the other 3 days (again with a tape, since I've never used weights before). I use 5,6 and 8 lbs weights. I added the weight section to my regimen 2 weeks ago. Now for the question: Yes, I have lost inches, 6 of them, but is it from this WOE or from the unaccustomed exercise? Am I doing too little or too much in order to see a weight difference on the scales? Can anyone clear this up? I know I shouldn't be concerned with the scale, but I've lost inches before, back in college, just from working out, without changing my eating habits.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 09:56
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 152/135/130
BF:??/25%/21% or less
Progress: 77%

One of the books that I read recently made a good point. If you have been eating Low-fat before, you have probably not been getting enough protein. Your body will now build muscle simply because of the sufficient protein levels. Add this to your workout routine and voila! Your routine sounds good and any time that you are building muscle you are building bone mass and avoiding a world of problems later. Work out, enjoy the new energy and lean lines that it will bring and ignore the scale for a while at least. Eventually, the new muscle will kick your metabolism up and the weight will drop.
MusicMom
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 10:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/203/150 Female 5'1"
BF:not/quite/sure
Progress: 21%

i, too, find this to ring true for me as well. i started working out back in august and have lost several inches but the scale has hardly moved and is not moving still. i only decided recently to make a commitment to try low carbing to see if that makes a difference.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-22-03, 15:11
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

You are losing fat and gaining muscle at the same rate which is why the scale is bouncing up and down and you are losing inches.
Also, muscles hold on to water after you've worked them.
Stick with it! The scale will finally move again.

Beth