Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-02, 07:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/127/110
BF:
Progress:
Post Hard candy

Hi, I have bought the hard candy from Syngery.com for over a year, but they are not selling it anymore. It reminds me of rock candy, the candy was a small square and came in many flavors, the new candy they sell is round and not many flavors. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make it myself? In rock candy you used corn syrup, but has carbs.
Thanks!
Mollymich
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-02, 13:22
Registered Member

Stats: 245.0/211.5/130.0
BF:
Progress: 29%

IMHO, to make certain kinds of candy you _have_ to have something like sugar to provide structure and some sweetness. Sugar-free things often use Maltitol but it's hard to get Steels sells it but at astronomical prices something like $12(US) for 1 lb. Isomalt another sugar alcohol is commonly used in hard candy because of it's superior anhydrous nature. (candy stays harder longer without as much water uptake) I have searched for Isomalt and you can buy it from something called Grandma Kate's but it also is not cheap. DiabeteSweet available at Walmart and other locations. It's isomalt and AceK mix. (isomalt is only approximately 70% as sweet as sugar so a high intensity sweetener is often added) I also have found a couple of web sites that offered isomalt. I'm trying to purchase via snail mail. But it as not arrived ATD, so I can't say it's successful, but the price is less than $4 for 1 lb. If anyone knows how to get a hold of maltitol at a more reasonable price PLEASE let me know!

I have a couple of recipes for hard candy and if you can find some isomalt I'll type them in for you.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-29-02, 14:51

Stats: 150/150/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Cool hard candy

Hi, I'm looking for a sugar free hard candy/ rock candy recipe. My mother in law is a diabetic and loves to have hard candy but I have found it to be very expensive and hard to find in a lot of flavors. I would like to make this for her but you have to use corn syrup and that is full of carbs.

Thanks
MCJYMCJYounker~aol.com