Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 06:04

Plan: Atkins,PP
Stats: 202/147/120
BF:
Progress: 67%
Question carbs-reducing tablets

i bought this packet of tablets from FANCL, a Japanese cosmetic and nutrition company, which is considered their dieting remedy....

In fact i finished off a packet of 50 tablets last year when i was working full time (with low carbing). i am not sure if this really helped me to accelerate the process of minimising carbs absorption and breaking down of body fats. It has a spicy taste and each time i took 3 tablets. I lost about close to 27 pounds in 5 months last year. when i finished taking all of them....i didnt get myself another packet coz i am not sure if it is efficient.

Recently, I got a booklet from them. The booklet introduces relevant herbs and vitamins to improve various health problems or even dieting.

Under dieting, I found out the tablets i took last year were not what I thought to be - food fats absorption....instead it said it minimises carbohydrates absorption into the body. So i recalled the results I got when i was low carbing while taking these tablets.

This is what I read from the booklet:

-HCA (hydroxy citric acid), contained in Garcinia , is an element involved in suppressing the synthesis of fats while promoting their metabolism, allegedly exhibiting greater effect when combined with aerobic exercise.

-Synephrine, contained in Citrus Aurantium , a kind of citrus fruit, is said to break down body fats. Clove inhibits the action of lipase, a fat-decomposing enzyme, thereby suppressing absorption of fats. Gymnema is a tropical plant originating from India, allegedly suppressing absorption of carbohydrates and inhibiting excessive secretion of insulin. Thus, gymnema exhibits its effect when taken before sweets are consumed while on a diet.

-1-deoxynojirimycin, only found in mulberry leaves, is said to inhibit the action of carbohydrate-decomposing enzymes, suppressing the digestion of carbohydrates midway, and preventing their absorption.

-Chromium is a mineral found abundantly in fish, helping the action of insulin, which is indispensable to carbohydrate metabolism.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 06:44

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

I personally am pretty sceptical about any of these miracle weight loss potions. If you read the instructions very carefully, they invariably contain a diet plan to follow while taking the pill. Most of those diet plans are low fat/low cal. If a person were to follow the diet plan alone, without taking the pill, they would eventually lose some weight.

Any of the pills that claim to absorb fat are designed for people who have the low fat/low calorie diet mindset. Even if they were to work, it defeats the whole chemistry behind the low carb way of eating.

My advice, save your money. It's better spent on fresh veggies and good meats.

But thanks for posting the info. It's always interesting to see what new miracle weight loss cure is being pushed on the market.

Last edited by AngelaR : Sun, May-05-02 at 07:30.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-05-02, 07:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210.0/198.0/165 Female 5'5"
BF: entirely too much
Progress: 27%

I am always very skeptical of things that promise miracle results. I also don't see why, on this WOE, that you would want to take anything that inhibits the absorption of fats. We eat a high percentage of fats, and many of them good fats that our body needs. Seems counterproductive to eat all these good fats, only to have their absorption blocked by a pill (if it really does any such thing in the first place )