Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 17:43
I will try...until.

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 288.5/207.5/110 Female 61'
BF:52/52/20
Progress: 45%
Unhappy Concern about calorie/protein/fat intake vs exercising

I am concerned about a couple things in my diet. First of all, I have been exercising ALOT. I spend about an average hour per day at the gym, and I walk about 2-3 miles a day, do pilate tapes, and ride a stationary bike at home.

I consume about 1800 calories a day, 70 grams of fat, 250 grams of protein, and only 15 or so carbs. 1000 of my calories are from protein. Is this okay????

I am concerned that I may be eating too many calories or too less, since I am quite active. I haven't weighed myself this week (weigh-in is Mon.), so I'm not sure what I should do.

Any suggestions would be helpful!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-04, 19:55
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Analyze how you feel. Do you have enough energy to complete the exercises. Do you have energy at other times of the day, or are you completely wasted after a workout? Do you ever get symptoms of low blood sugar or hunger such as dizzyness or shakes?

The 250g of protien seems a little high to me. Even the most liberal protien suggestions say about 1g per pound of lean weight (some say total weight). even at that liberal of a count, you should only be getting aorund 125 or so. You might check out protien power. It is higher protien, lower fat, and you may find it fits your needs more. Atkins is a high fat diet and the magority of your calories should be coming from fat.

If you start to feel poorly or hit a weight loss stall you might want to cut back on the protien slightly. Remember though with that much exercise you may not lose weight at all as muscle is building. Use a tape measure to monitor fat loss, that is much more important then the scale. www.mybodycomp.com can really help with that.

Also is that 15g of carbs net, or total? If it's total then start getting more veggies in. Maybe even start adding fruit and other low GI carbs. Some find that before weight training having carbs such as steel cut oats can help the workout.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 06:35

Plan: Atkins, KISS
Stats: 235/200/183 Male 6' 1
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Advice

LadyBelle's advice is probably the best you can get. Everybody is different and listening to your body and how it reacts is often just as important, if not more so, than all the opinions about ratios, calories, bodyweight etc.

Looking at your history you have already done a great job and well on your way to your goal. You are doing a lot of exercise - two hours a day is a lot - and at that rate anybody should increase their lean bodyweight ratio over time. This is key: With an hour a day at the gym, assuming weights are involved, you will have increased your lean body mass, which affects a number of calculations. Your target weight will be more challenging to attain because, well, basically you are not as fat as you were (Rather blunt way to put it!) You are leaner for the same weight. And your body will be burning more energy as a result of the increased metabolism that comes with more muscle. So your weight loss will slow but this does not neccessarily translate linearly to the rate of fat loss. This is a good thing. You are getting buff!

Be sure not to overdo the exercise. Rest when you need it. Listen to your bod.

My only other comments are that i) LadyBelle's suggestion of a lower protein count seems reasonable and ii) You might like to check out a BMR calculator and add in, say 500-800 calories to work out your daily caloric output. From there you can take off maybe 350 calories a day and use that as your intake guide.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-26-04, 09:04

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I always say if you are losing weight and OR inches your doing just fine. Everyone is different