Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:24
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%
Default loose fat first or gain muscle first?

Hi,

Another thread made me wonder about this. I've been focused on loosing weight, but now that I'm down to about 20% to 23% bf I'm wondering if I should be focusing more on gaining muscle.

I have gained muscle while loosing fat in my first three months of working out. But now I think that may be coming to an end. So what should I do, work at gaining muscle, or loosing fat?

Okay, first I've got to tell you, the thought of intentionally gaining any fat even if muscle comes with it is abhorrent to me.

So, once a person is at the point where they can no longer both gain muscle and loose fat at the same time, how do you make sure you are gaining more muscle than fat, or loosing more fat than muscle?

Oh, this is making my head hurt....

Arnie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 16:25

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Gain muscles first! You will lose fat as you gain muscles...
and it will be easier for you to lose fat when you are stronger, and in better shape.
The right approache is a diet AND weight lifting if you can stand working out while on a diet.
I am doing it for over 2 years, I lost lots of weight and have gone from no muscles at all to very strong and built..

Last edited by Arie : Tue, Sep-09-03 at 16:29.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 18:48

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:

Arnie, I would say lose the fat first. Losing fat and gaining muscle require two different ways of eating - one requires a deficit one a surplus. If you go into muscle gaining with extra body fat then some of what you add to that will be more body fat.

As for how do you do it? Science Arnie becomes the Science Experiment. You find out what your Maintenance levels of calories are and you add a few hundred more, you change your macronutrient ratios to include more carbs and less fat. You lift hard and heavy.

You might want to spend some time cruising abcbodybuilding.com as well - it's a goldmine of information!

Btw, that window as a newbie typically lasts longer than just 3 months - I wouldnt be surpized if you gained and lost this challenge!

Cheers,
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-03, 04:25
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Arie and Nat, thanks for your replies. It looks like I was panicking a little prematurely. I'll just stick to the plan for now and worry about it when the time comes.

Arnie

Last edited by Arnie_g : Wed, Sep-10-03 at 04:26.