Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 07:19

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 316/228/150.0 Female 5'3
BF:54
Progress: 53%
Default NEW TO THIS FORUM & LOOKING FOR SUPPORT!

Hello. I wanted to check out this sight in search of others like myself who have a BUNCH of weight to lose. Looks like I'm in the right place. I have been on and off Atkins and CAD for over a year now. If you check my journal you'll see the results are nil. That is because I haven't remained consistent. I get so frustrated with myself for going off the woe so much, it's ridiculous. I have wanted it since I was a teenager but never had the perseverence to stick with it. I realize now that alot of times it's the FOOD that's to blame, but I'm no angel when it comes to cheating on a diet. I've read the books, tried the diets, etc. Now, I THINK I'm going to be on CAD. My problem with the decision is that I know Atkins gives quicker results and probably cuts out most cravings but you can't eat "fun" foods to speak of ever. I also know that CAD is slower, but you have one great meal a day, so the worry about straying is less. I have a mentor in my journal, Tracy, who has lost almost 100# on CAD and she is what keeps me going! However, I would love more input. The only objection to CAD besides the slower weight loss is that after the Reward Meal, I am zonked and ready for bed. I know it's the carbs and am trying to fine tune that meal now.

So, any takers? I'd welcome advice and comments. I am curious who in the forum is on CAD and who is on Atkins and your success on each. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 07:30
~ReFINDing Terry~

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Good Morning Kelly, WELCOME! I am doing Atkins for the first time(started July 24) I am thrilled with my progress. I have found this the easiest program I have ever been on. Being a severe carboholic, it is amazing to me to not have cravings. In fact, I don't even put splenda in my coffee anymore. (amazing since I used to put a ton of sugar in my coffee)
I know that whatever plan you choose, you will find wonderful moral support here from an inspiring, encouraging group of fellow journeyers (?sp)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 07:42
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Welcome!
Gotta suggestion for you!
Check with your mentor who has obviously lost a great deal of weight (100 pounds is no small feat no matter which food plan you are on!) about her AVERAGE weekly meal plan broken down by days and further by meals. I have a dear friend on CAD who's reward meal is nothing like what I thought a "reward" meal would be. Heckfire! My "not reward" meals beat hers on almost every occasion! (I will put my Atkins brownie with whipped cream up against most of her "desserts".)
Then check with any other low carb plan member who has/had about the same weight as you to lose and check their meal plan.
Speaking only for me (and your mileage may vary!) there was something way ABOVE dieting when I found a program where I could eat good food in healthy quantity and lose weight on a regular basis.

I am no expert on any food plan. Not even Atkins which I have followed every day for almost 5 months. I learn something new every day. And I certainly have nothing against ANY food plan which works for you or any one else.

I am an expert on being morbidly obese. I do know that to be able to eat until full helps me to lose weight. I do know that my portions are way bigger than any of my failed diets in the past. And I do know I eat great food.

I wish you success on whatever food program you follow. Someone far wiser than me used this line in my early days on these forums and being the smooge that I am I borrow it often: all food plans work...but only if you work them!

Gook luck! I know you will find better health in whatever you do.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 09:14
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

I do know that to be able to eat until full helps me to lose weight. I do know that my portions are way bigger than any of my failed diets in the past. And I do know I eat great food.
----------------------------------------

I agree. That is the main reason I follow the Adkins WOE. I know for a fact that when I eat sugar and too many carbs, my appetite goes out of control. I can eat something now, even a small snack, and feel it in my stomach, feel satisfied, and not be hungry for more.

I also realize, if I continue long-term on this WOL my health will improve and my body weight will keep reducing. It will just take some time for that to happen.

Good luck on whatever plan you decide to stay with.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 09:42

Stats: 274/190/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

Welcome! I am with MrE on this. . .I don't know if I could eat some carbs at night and not crave them horribly during the day. . .Atkins is working for me. . .so I figure if it ain't broke don't fix it. redawn~stick to it, you'll do it!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 11:17

It's noon here and was checking back in, anxious for some response. Wow! Thank you all for giving me some sound advice.

Terry, the sweet TEA is my downfall, I am avoiding it but it's calling my name! I have been subbing with splenda in it, but probably too much.

Mr. E, I love your quote, that cracks me up! The brownie sounds wonderful. Maybe I'll go back and re-read some of the stuff after Induction...

Mudknife, What kind of name is that?lol Yeah, like Mr. E. said, eatting 'til your full definately has it's benefits. Also, I am sure it's alot easier for the cravings to leave on the woe. Plus, the Reward Meal makes me feel sooooo tired afterward. I'm thinking long and hard about this Atkins thing

Redawn, I am doing good at my l.c. meals but look at the goodies that are around for the kids and hubby and just drool. So, hopefully, the Atkins way will subside those cravings. By the way, is that a painted rock you made yourself for your icon? I paint them myself!
Thanks again guys.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 23:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 286/284/220 Female 5'7
BF:???????
Progress: 3%

Hello Kelly,
I've just started also and have been on atkins for 7 days now.I would say today is the 1st day that i have really followed the diet word for word. This past week I was trying to use some of my 20 alotted carbs for LC candy bars, cookies, tortillas, etc.Some one was kind enough to tell me that you really shouldn't use those on Induction.
Believe it or not, by following the diet exactly I ate less today that I did all last week.
Have you ever tried chicken breast dipped in egg, rolled in parmeasan cheese, and FRIED?? Well, i'm going to tomorrow night for dinner!!Sounds soo good to me!! I'll bet that beats any LC cabdy bar. lol.
I have realized that the headaches I used to get all the time were from my up and down carb binges!!I have had no headache for almost a week now.
C'mon girl....we can do it!!
Cathy
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 01:45

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%

Hi Kelly

I wish you well in finding the way forward for you. I am a slow loser, but have kept my focus for over 2 years now and have lost 65 pounds so far. At then end of the day you need to be in control of what you eat. Look again at where you are and where you want to be and use this site to be motivated. Eat enough, but not too little or too much. Drop by my journal if you have any specific questions.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 04:17

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyp
I have been on and off Atkins and CAD for over a year now. If you check my journal you'll see the results are nil. That is because I haven't remained consistent.

Hi Kelly and Welcome to the TDC. I also had trouble with consistency. I'm not following any particular plan but am probably closest to Atkins OWL. I found that using http://fiday.com helped me to become much more consistent. Right now I'm averaging about 50 carbs per day and it seems to be working for me. It was such a good feeling to weigh myself today and find that 1.2 lbs have just disappeared!

I think the key is to learn what works for you on a daily basis. Since you said the carbs at dinner make you sleepy, then cutting back on the carbs for that meal would be in order. I find that if I have my carbs spread throughout the day, then I don't get nearly as sleepy. There used to be many Saturdays and Sundays that I would take a nap every afternoon. It is so good to be free of that!

Good luck to you in whichever plan you use.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 05:07

Stats: 305/260/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hello Kelly!

I just wanted to say and welcome to the TDC! I don't have any words of wisdom as I have never tried anything but Atkin's --- I know for me that any type of "reward" or "treat" would put me in a downward spiral, so I stick close to the Atkin's Induction and am loving it's rewards! I honestly do not miss anything now and I have been sugar free for almost 47 days.

I'm sure you will find the plan that works for you - we are all different and we all have different strenghts and weaknesses, but there is a plan for everyone if you want it bad enough and work it hard enough!

Best of luck!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 06:07

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I agree with all of the above. I would never consider CAD for myself because when I eat sugar I BINGE....

I dont want a reward meal because to me it makes the others sound like "punishment" meals.... when really all of my meals can be amazing and what I want them to be...its all in what you put into it really.... I want to lose the weight bad enough to do whatever it takes to stay on track.... use the support here..its amazing!!! 2 times so far in 6 weeks I've had a weak mentality about me and after a couple days of good friends keeping me going I was able to come out and be back on track.

Good luck!!!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 20:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 279.6/273/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi Kelly

I think you have made a break thru just getting started in the right direction!

Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons of different plans, but I want to say that after being on Atkins since 7-16-03 I have lost my cravings for the sweets, and they are my biggest devil! My energy level has gone up and I can walk or exercise and find I actually enjoy it.

Welcome to the TDC!

Mary B
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-03-03, 21:12

Stats: 285/245/180 Female 68
BF:OMG
Progress: 38%
Default Hi and welcome

Nice to see you here. I don't know much about LC, but I do know I come here when I have questions. There are many experts here who are knowledgeable and motivational. Just browsing the different forums gives you lots of info.

If you haven't done so, take a look at the recipes forum. I just did that recently, and we have eaten a variety of things this past week and enjoyed every one of the recipes we tried.

I have to say that following the LC at about 20-35 carbs per day, has eliminated the craving for any high carb foods.

Look forward to seeing you around the forums.

---Carichie
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 17:38

Wow, thank you everybody for your support. I feel like it's really important to have alot of input from those who have lost weight doing the same thing you are wanting to do. I feel so lucky to have found you! I AM going to start induction tomorrow, as today was a family reunion and behaving was not in the plans Too many family members bringing goodies. I do feel much more energetic when I skip the Reward Meal, so am determined to do it. I am going to check out the recipe forum now and get some yummy ideas for the family. Maybe I can trick them into going on the woe too! Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 19:38
Registered Member

Plan: My own custom blend
Stats: 275/254/125 Female 5'2
BF:Plenty, want some?
Progress: 14%

Hi Kelly, welcome to the TDC from another newbie. Don't despair - none of us are 100% perfect. Just hang in there and give yourself some time to explore what works and what doesn't work for you. For some folks, sticking rigidly to a particular plan is the best way; others like me can take the best of what we find in all plans and make it custom fit. You know yourself better than anybody else would, after all. The main thing is to get into the mindset that the HC stuff is not good for you and should be avoided as much as possible. For me, looking at is as a health issue as well as a weight gain one seems to make it easier to say no.

I hear you on the family reunions though - the DH's family is big and they all live in the area. They used to get together for just about every holiday, and each time it was a food blowout - torment for me because there were so many good tasting, tempting dishes and most of them were HC. You could go around the table and put just a dab of this and that on the plate and still wind up filling it twice. I just had to get past the mindset that it was necessary to have even a taste of everything - I mean how often have you taken stuff just because it's Aunt Elsie's specialty and not because you really like it? Been there/done that, got the waist size to show for it too. Now I can go to those gatherings and just be choosy about what I eat and have a good time without all the stress. And of course I always bring something LC as my contribution - that way I know I'll have something healthy and satisfying to munch on. But I don't knock myself out about it - if I want a bit of something HC that I might not see again for months, I'll probably have it and get it over with. I just make sure I don't go overboard with the serving, or take a whole bunch of tiny portions of this and that! But you'd be surprised at how many times I've just looked at something and said forget it because it's not worth the price I'll have to pay later. Eating LC consistantly will do that for you - you can resist temptation a lot easier and really be choosy about your food. It feels so good to be able to step away from food and not have it haunting me all the time. I cook things for my family I won't eat and that doesn't bother me, and even my old nemesis ice cream (especially mint chocolate chip) doesn't even enchant me anymore. I move it all the time in the freezer when I'm hunting for my hamburger patties or individually wrapped portions of cube steak or chicken. And I'm a life-long foodaholic and sneaky comfort-eater, so if I can do it, I bet you can too!

Last edited by Lose2Win : Sat, Oct-04-03 at 19:41.