Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 15:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default fat/protein ratio

Hi Everyone,

I just signed up for fitday.com at the advise of so many here and I was wondering if there was a ratio that people were noticing between their fats and proteins. While I know that the main number to watch is the carbs, it seems my ratio is quite a bit higher on fat than protein.

Anyone else find this to be true or maybe I should be doing a little fine tuning...

btw, I am still in induction

thanks

damaraq
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 15:19

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ratios vary a little but try to aim for 70-75% fat, 25-20% protein and the rest carbs. It takes some tweaking but you'll get the hang of it

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 10:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/316/160
BF:
Progress: 18%

Thank You, Natrushka!

I actually am right about in that range, but you know old habits die hard. I looked at the pie chart and had a mini panic attack LOL. It has been ingrained in all of our heads for so long that fat is bad that seeing the breakdown of my food for the day sent me whirling.

One other question along the same lines...is there a ratio for the breakdown of the fats that should be a target ie cholesterol, mono, poly fats...mine seems to vary from day to day.

Thanks for your help

damaraq
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-03-02, 15:22

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by damaraq
One other question along the same lines...is there a ratio for the breakdown of the fats that should be a target ie cholesterol, mono, poly fats...mine seems to vary from day to day.

No, not really. If you find yourself in a stall then there might be (mono's behave differently than saturated fats inside your body and can make a difference.) But all fats, with the exception of trans-fats are good fats.

Depending on whether you have a big 'nut' day or a big 'olive oil' day you can have higher mono or saturated fats. If you watch that pie-chart you'll start to see what contains what - LCing tends to make a fat expert out of us

And don't sweat it - we all had that doubletake moment when we first started out. Eating 70-80% fat will become normal.

Nat