Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 16:29

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 279/240/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default EAS Edge Advant Bar....

These Eas Bars - sell them in Wal-mart. They claim 2.5g carbs (plus 3g fiber) for the whole bar - 24g protein and 5g fat at 200 calories.... it does not seem to add up... plus they taste sweet. Has anyone looked into the EAS Carb control bars? -Steve
Attached Images
File Type: gif carbcontrolbarslg.gif (4.8 KB, 155 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 16:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Wow, were those numbers correct?! When I plugged it into the hidden carbs inspector (on the menu bar over to the right) it came out as 19 grams of carbs! It's calculated by adding together calories from fat, protein and "declared" carbs, then subtracting that from the total calories. It assumes that what's left has to be carbs.

I think the extra carbs come from ingredients like sugar alcohols. I'm not sure what the labelling rules are, but it seems like they don't have to count anything but sugar and starch carbs. It's a "truth in advertising" issue, I guess.

Hope that helps. Most people stay away from those bars, but others do well with them occasionally. It beats a Snickers.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-05-02, 19:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The hidden carbs are either 'sugar alcohols" or "glycerine. Both are considered by some people to be either insignificant or that they do not affect insulin levels.

However, people repeatedly report that stalls ended when they cut out the bars.

The best advice for a low carber is to eat REAL food instead of these meal substitutes.

And Your Mileage May Vary. Which means that each person may or may not react to these hidden carbs.

#4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-02, 09:31
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Talking

If its 2 carbs and the fiber is 3 does that mean your eating negative carbs?

Seriously their labeling is very confusing. I think they totally stalled me in the beginning when I would have 1 or 2 everyday.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 20:22

Plan: BFL/CKD
Stats: 250/240/200
BF:28%/23%/7%
Progress: 20%
Default Bars

The Atkins bars are the same way and refer to "net Carbs". These are the carbs that have an effect on insulin. You most likely didn't stall because of a full-blown, fat storing insulin reaction, but you did have about 40 extra grams of carbs to burn off per day (thats about 10 minutes on the treadmill for a guy my size).

I agree, if you are trying to lose ASAP, eat real foods as much as possible. If you need a snack, Jell-O is the only way to go!!! Or Low-Carb shakes (like Atkins and EAS) - they actually do have only 5 grams.

Also - 3 fiber does not cancel out the 2 sugars (although, it will most likely avoid any insulin reaction since fiber dulls that process). You still have to burn off the 2g of sugar (that's about 30 seconds on a treadmill for a guy my size ;-)

j
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 07:33

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

I personally think the bars are good for OWL as a quick replacement when you cannot cook a real meal. Also not to be used every meal. I usually buy only 1 or 2 a week for when a quick meal is needed. I just had a Blueberry EAS AdvantEdge Bar this morning and I put it in the Carb Tools Hidden Carb Counter and it only came up 11 carbs as aposed to their 2.5 claim. That's not too bad for me because I average about 10 per meal. The bars are just a trial and error thing as everyone will react differently.