Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 16:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/189/170
BF:
Progress: 5%
Question Help Ive cant cook

Hi folks

A new year just started the low carb diet. Ive just come back from my first induction shop The problem i have is that my basket only contained water,cheese,bacon and steak...Im not sure what else Im alowed for the first two weeks....I looking for more snak food if possible....thanks for help scouse UK
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 16:44

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Scouse do you have Dr Atkin's book yet?

If not, I would NOT start the diet without first reading it. You will only do more damage to yourself by starting the diet without knowing how it works or what to eat during induction.

I am sure you would not start out on an overseas trip without first referring to maps and such. Would you? Why would you want to start a diet that completely changes your metobolism without knowing a little bit about what you are getting into?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 18:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Scouse,

Can't cook? You have to start cooking right away as it's an important tool to keep on low-carbing. Head to the kitchen forum, and we'll teach you. I'll volunteer to give you the first lesson, on how to make mashed cauliflower They're great, and a recent discovery for me. I knew about it before, but first time I cooked it was yesterday.

I only learned how to cook when I started low-carbing, and now I can impress gourmet chefs like Karen!

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 18:26

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
I only learned how to cook when I started low-carbing, and now I can impress gourmet chefs like Karen! l

*LOL* I THOUGHT I could cook before making LC meals. Now I'm learning all over again, but I'm not ready yet to invite Karen over.

Good going Wa'il. You're a technology whizz and a kitchen whizz.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 20:26

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

scouse, baking chicken parts is a breeze. Pan. chicken. salt. bake.

from there and steaks, it is but a tiny step to making, say, a shish kebob. You can do it! Look for a basic cooking class or watch some cooking shows on TV. Not every recipe will be LC, but some will be, and you'll learn the techniques.

good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-02, 01:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 178/150/150
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default You could have knocked me over with a feather!

Quote:
Originally posted by scouse
Help Ive cant cook
Hmm! An English who can't cook! How unusual!
May I, then, recommend you also buy, along with a copy of Dr. Atkins' book a low-carb cookbook. I am sure in your case, it would come in handy!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 05:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/126/119
BF:
Progress: 75%

Huh- thanks for that, Bill!

You'll get the hang of it, Scouse, honestly! My boyfriend had only ever mastered warming up left over takeaways till he started on Atkins! He started slowly- frying steaks in garlic butter, that kind of thing- but he's really got the hang of it now & he's adding spices like nobody's business!

I don't think you could really survive on ready meals on Atkins- though M&S have some nice ones. Chicken with bacon & mushrooms in a cream sauce, salmon in lemon sauce...! (Safeway do a few too, but the ones I've tried are awful.) They're really not that difficult to make yourself, though. Have a look on the recipe pages, and DO try the cauliflower & goats cheese puree! I'm going to become famous for recommending this but basically it's a mashed potato substitute which tastes nothing like either cauliflower or goats cheese and without which I really don't think I'd have lasted this long! Also, you'll see how easy it is to cook something delicious!

Snack foods are a bit tricky. Try cooking extra bacon, as that's lovely cold, hard boiled eggs, cheese, nuts... so long as you bear in mind that all of these things still do contain carbs, you should be ok! You could try checking out the journals for ideas.

Good luck!

Daisy