Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 13:11

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Pet Peeve: "Natural" vs. "Artificial"

WARNING: RANT TO FOLLOW

There are many, many reasons to eat whole foods, and I absolutely believe that they should make up the majority of what we ingest. I back that belief up with what I put in my mouth. But encouraging the wholesale avoidance of "artificial" foods such as sweeteners, etc., just BECAUSE they are artificial really bugs me.

This is a topic that got in my craw even before I started LCing. What does artificial mean, anyway? As far as I know, no food out there is actually made from nothing, anyway; matter cannot be created or destroyed by ordinary means. The building blocks—molecules—they are made with have been taken from something natural. Just because a food is artificial does not make it harmful, though of course some, such as trans fats, are. Most overly processed foods are bad for you not because of what is in them (except for the aforementioned trans fats and sugar, of course), but because of what is not in them: healthy fats, protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.

Just as artificial foods and supplements are not necessarily unhealthy, natural foods and supplements are not necessarily healthy. Foxglove is very natural; it’s a plant. So is hemlock. But both will kill you quickly. There are plenty of dangerous substances in the natural world. Some, such as snake venom, work rapidly. Some, like, say, sugar, work more slowly.

Okay, rant over.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

*nod*

There's plenty of "natural whole" things that are poisonous and toxic in their natural whole state.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 14:54

Plan: Generic LC
Stats: 212/157/135 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have been thinking about this a lot too. I am making a concious effort to cut the amount of LC specialty foods and concentrate meore on a whole food diet (like our ancestors). Then I get caught up on what is artificial. Can it mean manufactured like mayo or more importantly, soy products??? I mean it comes in a container and it is not in a "natural state". So where does one draw the line? I have spent much time debating this with myself, and still yet to find an answer.......
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 23:22

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I totally agree. I think everyone has to figure out where to draw the line for themselves. One thing I decided is that doing this woe has taken me from the majority of my food being boxed and pre-made, to the majority of my food being in its natural state - meat and veggies. I decided not to feel guilty about eating a few foods that some would call artificial.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 01:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I eat artificial foods. They are convienent and have a longer shelf life, though I do try to stick to natural when I can.

For me the distinction is it something I could go get on my own. Herbs cna be dried and distilled so they count. if it's something that is chmically altered or produced in a lab, then I consider it artificial.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 08:52
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I hear you there! I don't think a person needs to get uptight about it. If a person can be strict enough with themselves to ONLY eat whole, natural foods, more power to them! I figure I'm getting more nutrition from an occasional Atkins shake than an extra cup of "whole, natural, iceburg lettuce" which has nada. Plus, it makes less of a mess in my purse.

I agree that the more "real" food the better. My only "rant" is when people come down on OTHERS about what they're eating like a ton of bricks, tsk-tsk-ing and trying to scare people by repeating urban-legend horror stories about Splenda making you grow a third arm or something.....<Sigh>
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 10:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
My only "rant" is when people come down on OTHERS about what they're eating like a ton of bricks, tsk-tsk-ing and trying to scare people by repeating urban-legend horror stories about Splenda making you grow a third arm or something...
Yes, that's exactly my problem with it. If you want to eat all whole foods, good for you. Admirable goal. But there's no reason to stress the poor newbies with artificial sweetener horror stories with little basis in fact.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 14:45
MySpaceBarSticks.

Plan: atkins
Stats: 21/20/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: -1%

omg slpenda makes you grow a 3rd arm?
i bought some of the atkins muffins from an online store, well to my surprise when reading the nutrition facts...there wasn't much of anything in them. i call them fillers, they are just there to fill you up. i kinda expected a little more out of Atkins products. i have learned to read labels more carefully, not just for ingredients, but also for nutrition facts.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 15:02
Registered Member

Plan: ckd 24 hr carb up
Stats: 240/234/? Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Wow really, I'm gonna go down some more Splenda....I could use another hand or two to help around here!!!!

Personally I love my frankenfoods (as you call them). I know there's a big move to "do as our ancestors", but what does that really mean??? Which ancestors....the cave men? The had very short lives, and yet didn't have many of the diseases and disorders we do now. How about the ancestors in biblical times? They ate bread...and honey...and milk....and fruit. Still life was shorter. I know that the general hygiene and mecial care are exponentially better now, but again they ate the so call "bad things" too. They even drank beer and wine....the true no no of low carb life. How about in Prarie life? Again, breads, pies, rice. I'm not sure that eating as our "ancestors" did is such a great thing, and for that matter, it would mean a whole different way for for everyone. Culturally our ancestors (if you step away from the cavemen to a later time) have all had very different eating styles. I'm not saying that so called "natural" foods are bad, but realistically limiting your diet to them for the rest of your life???? Doesn't anyone every want a piece of their kids birthday cake, or how about some yummy thanksgiving favorites that's recipes have been handed down from our ancestors? Sure processed food has a lot of preservatives in it....than again .....maybe that's what's preserving us .

I think eating healthy is great, but I'm also going to enjoy life too.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 15:21
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

For me artificial foods may, I repeat, may cause stalling. I don't question weither is "healthy" or not. For example: Fruit2O- Its artificial but its "healthy" and for me, doesn't stall so its ok by me.
Atkins Bars-Its artificial but its "healthy" and for me, I stall like crazy.

I do suggest minimizing the fake foods to get your mind set on a more low carb level but its a decision we each have to make. I only suggest it for the carbaholics like me.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 18:55

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Back when I was a newbie (not that long ago), I didn't know any better to not eat Atkins bars on induction. Think I had 3-4 of them during the first two weeks. They were listed on the Atkins site as ok for induction, as are the shakes. Guess what???? I still lost 12 pounds in two weeks. And they sure helped me pass up things like popcorn at the movies and non-lc ice cream during those two weeks. I don't eat them frequently anymore, mostly because I have no sugar craving and I am cooking more than ever before. I will still use them for convenience if I need to, but I naturally started eating more whole foods, just by being on Atkins for a while.

So... I guess I agree with the rant.... Everyone has to figure out what works for them.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 19:16

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 186/155/148 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 82%

Wow! The first time I have agreed with an entire thread! The line between artificial and natural has to be drawn for each on his own. I'm sitting here with a wireless laptop and a space heater at my feet, talk about an artificial environment. I can just imagine what fields are surrounding me and going through me!

I do take food, especially carbs, more seriously now that I am LCing. I try to get nutrition out of my carb choices whenever possible and avoid the things that stall me, of course. It takes time to find them, but they are out there - even artificial ones. I do second the thing on trans fats. In time more goodies will be made without them. Support the companies that are on the right path and don't throw your money away to the strayers.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 21:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessara
I do suggest minimizing the fake foods to get your mind set on a more low carb level
That's definitely a good, logical reason to stick with whole foods. Especially for those who are easily drawn into binges.