Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 20:52

Plan: Dr. Atkins'
Stats: 258/238/185
BF:
Progress: 27%
Arrow Rough first day

It's my first day of induction and I thought I was doing good until I started to get really bad headaches and feeling sick, and then in the movie theatre it happened.....I vomited (in my friends empty bag) and then had to run to the bathroom to continue. I know that's not pleasent to hear but I'm just concerned wether that is a bad sign or what? Should I be concerned? And am I allowed to take tylenol when I have headaches during the induction stage? Ok well thanks and I'm going to bed now, goodnight!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 00:12

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default rough first day

Wow, that does sound rough. I certainly had queasy, "not quite right" feelings, but never anything like what you describe. To be fair to atkins, I had even worse stuff years ago when I did the super low fat Ornish bit. Had to drink a few shots of olive oil - my body knew what it wanted. Everybody seems to say, hang in there. So hang in there. After a few days, I felt better than I had in years. So I hope the same for you.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 05:10
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

OOOf! Sorry to hear of your illness and your friend's handbag. Double woof!
I would guess that your 1st day of induction and your illness have little in common as your body would not have had time to purge itself of the carbs from the previous day.
There is a virus (or whatever) that is going around that had me and others sick for several days recently. Wonder if that could have anything to do with your movie experience? (I hope not!)
Speaking for me (and your mileage may vary), I plowed thru the withdrawals by the middle of the 2nd week and then began feeling much better til I came down with the creeping crud (virus). Great news is that by staying the course and staying on induction by the time my illness had passed I was feeling better than I have in years. Literally.
Again, each person is different so I do not propose that my experiences will match yours. I would suggest that you try to follow your chosen way of LC eating until you see if your illness and the eating program have a direct link.
It could be that you are super sensitive to changes in body chemistry...but it is also very possible that your illness had no bearing on your eating plan.
Good luck and best regards!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 05:12
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Both my DH and myself only had the headaches, and yes we did take something for it.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 06:10

Plan: protein power
Stats: 133/???/112 Female 164cm
BF:size 10/ 8 /(6/4)
Progress: 0%

i was sick 2, don't worry it gets easier!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 06:52

Plan: Dr. Atkins'
Stats: 258/238/185
BF:
Progress: 27%
Arrow Feeling better this morning

Thank you all very much for the reassurance, I'm feeling better so far today and I'm going to stick with the plan because I really want to lose this weight! I love carbs, and probably most of the food I ate were high in carbs so this is a huge change for my body, and plus I am withdrawling from caffenine at the same time, so I should feel better soon, I hope. The scale said I'm 6 pounds lighter today so that made me feel better as well. Thanks very much.

Icradly
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-31-03, 15:39

Plan: lap band...low carb
Stats: 225/181/145 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default addiction

When one give up our obsession where it be smoking, drinking, or eating...our body's ain't gonna like it...Yes, I had withdrawal from car bs....Lasted at least a week...but you can get through it...by all means take something for relief...makes sure you eat enough protien so that your sugar don't swing too much...I remember being a little nauseated to...and have read others having the same problem...It was about like quitting smoking for me....

I suggest starting a journal, if you haven't done so..and write down everything that you are feeling...and eating...

fitday.com is a place you can keep accurate count of your carbs, and hidden carbs...

Last week hubby and I had a carb up hour,, and we went out for breakfast and had a pancake carb blowout, and boy were we sick all day....strange isn't it???...but I'm thinking twice about having another carb up hour next month....will probably have it, but won't carb up to extremes...