Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 17:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/341/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Eat 5 lc candy bars a day?!

I was on Ebay to see if someone is selling a bulk amount of low carb candy bars and I came across this. Here is what amazed me:

PS: I LOST 160LBS ON THE ATKINS DIET AND ATE AT LEAST 2-3 OF THESE BARS EVERYDAY, I have kept my weight off for over two years now and some days I eat as many as 5 bars ..... There is no secret ingredient in these bars to make you lose weight or perform medical miracles for you, the consumption of these bars in conjunction with a Low Carb Lifestyle is what will lower your blood pressure, improve your Cholesterol and control you blood glucose levels and Insulin. These bars are also very tooth friendly which makes them great for children as opposed to a sugar loaded Chocolate Bar which causes cavities and can make some children hyper active.

I don't think there would be anyway in the world that I could eat 5 of these bars a day. Just one fills me up and upsets my stomach as well.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=11781

Last edited by kbluvscats : Fri, Oct-31-03 at 17:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 17:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/197/140 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Oh yes, I am sure I would puke if I had to eat that many.
Not to mention what would be going on at the other end.LOL
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:10
Registered Member

Stats: 290/228/190 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 62%

wow if i finish 1/2 of one of these bars it is a miracle..

5 a day ...sheesh i could not eat anything else..
I have had a package of 6 for 3 months
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

5 bars a day?? Lord have mercy! I'd have mount Vesuvius going on at both ends!
Besides...they don't taste good enough to make me want to eat them that often unless I have no other options.
I think the original poster has totally missed the point of low carbing...eat more whole, unprocessed foods and less frankenstuff.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Probably just a sells tecnique. After all if they were really eating that many and having such success, then why are they selling thier stash? ;p

At 5 bars a day, that was probably all they were eating. 5 meals a day, 1 at each meal. (that or the massive laxative effect worked wonders) Kind of like those dieters that overdose on ex-lax
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 18:42

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

You guys are not sugar freaks like me. I love em but I learned my lesson. Sugar alcohol sweetened candy gives me bad cravings, so I am off them. Don't tempt me.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 20:58

Stats: 338/295/250 Male 6"7"
BF:
Progress:

Yeah kbluvscats must live on the TOILET. Just one will get me going.

338/295/250
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 21:06

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

5 Wow! I use to have one every now and then. But 5 everyday! I have several in my freezer. That way they will keep until I want one. But I can't imagine 5 a day.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 21:48

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I don't think it is kbluvscats who is eating 5 a day - kbluvscats is just quoting from an eBay auction.

But I agree - 5 a day? That person must live it home, or in a bathroom!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 22:18

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

I am almost ashamed to post this. My H, who has lost 23 lbs and is 6 lbs from his goal weight, eats 3 bars a day. And has NO stomach trouble unless he eats the ones that are "pure" chocolate. I eat one kind (Atkins Cinnamon Morning Bar) and only if we are out and I will have to go more than 6 hours without eating. I have TOLD him he is learning nothing about good eating habits...he has simply substitued his low carb bars for the fat-free SnackWell's and Pringles he used to consume like air. He just laughs and says I'm learning for him. So it is true that there are some fools out there who can eat these things with NO problem! And lose weight, too!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 22:46

Plan: dr. atkins
Stats: 155/145/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 33%

darn it...why am i not one of those fools. lol.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 22:59

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

I eat 2 or 3 Atkins caramel nut chew bars a day with no problem. They taste just like Turtles.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 08:02

BF:

Quote:
I have TOLD him he is learning nothing about good eating habits...he has simply substitued his low carb bars for the fat-free SnackWell's and Pringles he used to consume like air.

I have to agree. Substituting those bars for real food doesn't do anything for teaching you good eating habits. It's suspiciously like that SlimFast plan; eat a bar or shake for breakfast and lunch and then a "sensible" dinner.
I keep a couple around for emergencies, like getting called into a meeting right before lunch and I won't have the opportunity to eat anything else and even then a couple of handfuls of peanuts would probably be a better choice; the bars just happen to be more portable.
For those that eat a lot of low carb candy; is it possible that you're simply replacing one bad habit (high carb candy) with another? If you feel that you need, 2, 3 or more of them a day it sounds like those old carb cravings are alive and well and simply being satisfied with a low carb substitute. IMHO, those low carb candies are supposed to serve as occasional treats (like maybe a couple of times a week at most), not a regular part of your daily menu; that's supposed to be filled with high nutrient foods that nourish your body instead of feeding carb cravings with very little other nutrition to offer (I'm talking about the candy here, not the protein bars); in other words; they're just as much empty calories as their high carb counterparts. Just my nickel's worth...

Last edited by Lisa N : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 08:09.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 08:57

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

My "H" doesn't eat the candy or "chocolate bars". I think the ones he eats are all vitamin fortified and could be considered meal replacement bars. Is this the type of "protein" bar you mean?
He takes the Atkins Morning Bar for breakfast because he doesn't want to eat at home that early (6 am) and has a lunch of chicken salad (one split chicken breast) on a bed of 1 c of fresh spinach, 2 oz cheese, 1 serving of smokies and about 5 small dill gerkins. A big lunch I make him myself, so I know what is in it and the carb count. He eats another of those bars in the late afternoon and has a dinner I fix, all fresh meat and veggies, and then another bar after dinner. He never eats out, so what he gets, I fix. The morning bar I can excuse...I am not a morning person myself. He is eating all the right stuff, along with the bars. It is the "snack" ones I object to, but I have to say this....he went on Atkins to make it easier for me. He didn't want me to have to be cooking two different meals and let me throw out all the "junk" in the house, even his beloved SnackWells. I ride him a little about the bars, but I guess if they don't bother him and he is still losing weight and is happy with this WOL, I can't complain.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 09:06

BF:

???? Doesn't it get expensive eating those things 2 or 3 times a day? The protein bars I was referring to are the same as the Atkins bars and they run over $2.00 a piece. I don't think he ever intended those to be meal replacments as they're fairly low in calories. Since your DH is 6 pounds from goal weight, he needs to be thinking about maintainance. Instead of the bars, why not some fruit or nuts?