Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 10:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 319/240/175 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%
Question How did you figure out your goal weight?

I was just wondering how everyone determined their goal weights. If I went by the BMI, and my doctor, my goal weight should be 160. However, when I was a hardcore competitive swimmer, I weighed 179 to 182 and felt great. I also have the bone structure of an ox(Never broke a bone which is good because I am the world's biggest clutz ). So I split the difference and made it 170. How did everyone else figure it out? Has your goal weight changed?

Last edited by loserbaby : Thu, Apr-15-04 at 11:11. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 10:37

Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%

I did every BMI calculator I could find, including the ones that had personal preferences. The top weight for my height was usually about 128 so I added 7 lbs to that. I'm in my 40's, and I keep reading that it's important for peri-menopausal women to have a bit of body fat. Plus I remember (way back when!) being comfortable even at 160, so I know I'll feel good at 135.

I still may adjust it when I get close, but I think it's reasonable.

Great question!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 270/215/150 Female 5'4
BF:not sure
Progress: 46%

I always felt my very best at about 150 pounds - that is a good weight for me - not too skinny, not fat - just right. I have 130 as my goal weight, but 150 is perfectly fine as well.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 11:30
Registered Member

Stats: 263.5/270/160 Female 69
BF:
Progress: -6%

I went with the weight that I felt I looked and felt best at. Even I make it to 180, I still be happy. Just seeing myself well below 200 will make me cry with joy!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 11:57
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

I used info on this site:

http://www.nutribase.com/fwchartf.shtml

After looking at all of the possibilities, I set my goal at 22% body fat and then back calculated my goal based on my lean mass. Lean mass is calculated using my 7 day average body fat and weight from my Tanita scale. (BTW - I am 5'9" if you want to see where my goal weight lies on the other tables.)

Lynda
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 14:03

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

I'm gonna wait until after I get under 200 and have my body fat tested. Once I have a good idea of my lean muscle mass, I'll figure out a goal weight. I want to have a healty amount of bodyfat on me for a change. It's set at 150 now, cause last time I weighed that I looked pretty darn good
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 14:17

Stats: 290/230/130 Female 65 inches
BF:?/?/?
Progress: 38%
Talking

I really didn't go for anything too complicated as BMI though I would gather that I'd probably still arrive at the same weight. Basically I went by a weight where I looked and felt my best that I could remember. Going below that would be too skinny but I could afford to go to 135.

Maybe I should look up BMI and try it for weight but I don't want to be disappointed!!!

Charlie Girl
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 15:43
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I used an internet BMI calculation for the most I could weigh and still fall into the "healthy weight" zone for my height. Once I get to that number I will see what I think.

Liz
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 15:53

Stats: 293/257/155 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I don't really have an exact number, i'm not that hung up on it. I have a pair of pants that I loved when I weighed 157, and as soon as I fit into those the same way, I'm done.
I also don't want to be skinny, I like curves, and plan on avoiding dieting them away!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 16:00

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I looked at Cindy Crawford's weight and added 40 lbs. hehe.

I remember feeling fabulous at 180 about 10 years ago but not really slender per say. According to the BMI charts with my heighth 5'9" and age 47 this should be about right but I will figure out the details when I get there! I know that day will come!!

Orchid
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 17:33

Stats: 298.2/216.5/150 Female 64 inches
BF:definately....
Progress: 55%

Bastically, I SWAG'ed it. I was down to just under 130 once, and know I looked really good, but I'm not sure how realistic it is to think I might get down to that again. 150 is probably still a bit overweight. I'll re-evaluate as I get closer (like, a year or more from now) -- basically, my real goal isn't a number, but feeling good and, yes, looking good too.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 18:35

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I calculated my desired bodyfat percentage (which is different from BMI) beased on my starting amount of lean mass. As I gain muscle, I periodically recalculate. I've often said that doing it this way is the easiest 'diet' in the world; you just keep moving your goal weight UP.

Cheers,

Friday
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 01:22

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I don't remember exactly what I did......isn't that awful?

What I do remember is that I figured it out based on weight, age, BMI, metabolism.......came up with a figure......then subtracted ten more pounds. I'm beginning to think I shouldn't have subtracted the extra.....but it doesn't seem to make any difference now, because I'm such a turtle anyway. ANYTHING would be an accomplishment in this stage of my WOE.

#14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 04:45
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I calculated mine for the body fat % I wanted like fridayeyes did
I probably should even take it up a few lbs more but i guess its silly I want to break 200 lol...
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-16-04, 07:06
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

I've been overweight all my life, but in my first year of college I lost 80 lbs and went from 215 to 135. That was a nice weight for me, I felt normal.

It didn't last, obviously, but that's my goal now, to get to that "normal" weight again.

But, I'll re-evaluate that as I start to get closer, if I feel fine and happy at 150, or whatever other number, I'll stay there.

I'm not married to my goal at this point, it's just impossible to tell what I'll look like when I get there.

Valerie