Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Cool LC Poster Girl

At my office I am the LC poster girl - EVERYONE knows that this is my WOL. I have been informed that I should buy new clothes because my plus size clothes don't look right anymore.

My first thought was to tell the fashion police where they could go, but then I thought wait is now the time to buy some new clothes? I still have 37 more pounds to go.

Does anyone have clothes benefits or regrets?

goingfor60
Shannon
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-31-01, 20:24

Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default New Outfit

I think if you can afford a new outfit you should definitely go for it. Perhaps you can find something that fits now, and is a style that can be altered.

I think you'll be surprised how great you feel in something new. A real boost to the ego!!!

Great work so far.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 06:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mix of sorts
Stats: 174/168/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up

Hi, Shannon:

Congratulations on your weight loss! I agree with Sharon - spring for a new outfit if you can.

My biggest thrill and feeling of achievement came when I was able to buy my "old" size clothes again. I had to go buy new jeans just the other day as my old ones literally fell off my hips.

What a WONDERFUL feeling! I know my head was held higher and my chest was puffed out when I walked out of that store! That feeling is worth any amount of money and it made me just more determined to get the rest of my weight off.

I know it would be difficult to replace all your work clothes but possibly you could take some of them up. If you don't sew, check with a local dry cleaners and see if they have a tailor that can do it for you or maybe you have a friend that sews.

Keep an eye out for sales and see if anyone else you know is dieting. I have several friends who are also dieting and we're passing around our clothes as they become too big.

Guess we'll have to have a bonfire party and burn them after we all reach our goal weights!

Good luck and keep up the good work!

Regards;
Sandy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 07:20

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Thumbs up wtg postergirl!

Have you thought of consignment stores if you're hesitant to spend money on clothing that wont fit in a few months? My dad (who's retired and has been known to be... shall we say, cheap ) spends a lot of time making the rounds of just such shops.... picks up some amazing finds (Like an armani tux for 200$, or italian wool suits for 10$). They are usually listed in the yellow pages... with some vivists and a few calls you can find the ones that have the "top end" stuff..... a good measure for those inbetween periods.

Keep up the good work!
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-01-01, 08:05

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

good advice nat! i agree! go for it! you'll be so pleased with your new look!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 13:34
Registered Member

Plan: dr. akins
Stats: 308/205/150
BF:
Progress:
Cool holiday recipes

anyone have any good low carb holidays recipes. need them for halloween, thanksgiving and xmas.
i have loss over 90 lbs now since last december and plan to stick to it to thought these holidays .
we have alot of friend over for the holidays and i don't want any store bought sweets in my house. " i won't be tempted".
mail me if anyone has a good recipe for me at **** a low carb friend
mary from jacksonville, fla.

[Tamarian edit: Please do not post email addresses, thanks]
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Clothes

Good for you Congratulations! I know what you mean though, when last year I was afraid to buy new clothes until I had kept off the weight for a while - my step-daughter told me that I looked like I was wearing a sack! So, I splurged and had a few things altered. Then this year, after keeping the weight off for a whole year, I finally went out and bought some new clothes - there is nothing to pick you up like trying on a size 10 and finding out that it is too big!! And, clothes that are the proper size really do look so much better than our old big ones.
I have taken the drastic step of giving away almost all of my old clothes (to friends that are all LC'ing) and have bought just a few nice new pieces. I will build up a wardrobe again over time. I still have to take a second look sometimes just to make sure that slim woman is me

Here's a real easy dessert recipe for the person asking. I have lots, but can't give them all away!

Quick and Easy Mousse

1 package sugar free jello pudding mix
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup heavy cream

Using electric mixer, beat for two minutes until it starts to thicken. Pour into 4 individual dessert dishes, and put in fridge for 15 minutes. Make any flavor - vanilla, chocolate, white chocolate, or butterscotch. The carbs vary slightly with the flavor chosen. This is really light and fluffy and creamy.

#8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-02-01, 17:58

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default OT, skim milk

Quote:
Originally posted by PatHawk
Quick and Easy Mousse

1 package sugar free jello pudding mix
1 1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup heavy cream

You might want to revise your recipe, Pat. 1 1/2 cups of skim milk has over 20g carbs. What about 1 cup whipping cream 1 cup water? I cup whipping cream has 6.6 carbs.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 00:44

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile New Image

Not to mention the wolf whistles and the admiring glances that make you feel a million dollars worth!

Besides new clothes is a much better reward than "having a party in your mouth" as some wit put it.

Congratulations Poster Girl. Looks like you are well on your way to becoming a real-life poster girl.

Take care
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: dr. akins
Stats: 308/205/150
BF:
Progress:
Smile quick and easy mousse

got the recipe for the quick and easy mousse. sounds great, but i want to see if there is any way to cut the carbs from the skim milk.i will let everyone knpow when i find it.
keep sending in the recipes. i love to hear from my low carb friends.
mary
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 12:08
Registered Member

Plan: Easy Low Carb Living
Stats: 158/118/120
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Adaptation

Hi Mary
Someone else wrote to suggest that 1 cup of water and 1 cup of heavy cream would allow you to reduce the carbs from the skim milk. I haven't tried it, so I don't know if the consistency would be right.
The recipe as it stands has only 6 grams of carb / serving for vanilla mousse. The carbs do vary with the flavor of pudding. It may seem a little high, but if I have been good the rest of the meal, then I do allow this - but I am on maintenance now, so I allow a few more carbs per day.
I have a little computer program that will calculate the grams of carb (as well as calories, protein, fat etc) for any recipe. I needed to have it to develop my cookbook and give nutrition information. I find it very handy to have.
Cheers
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-03-01, 12:24
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default hi Pat

Um, just for the sake of accuracy, my box of Vanilla fat-free, sugar-free Jello brand instant pudding mix states that there's 5.9g carbs per serving in the powder alone, as sold. Any milk, cream, whatever that you add will of course increase that number. The chocolate and butterscotch flavours are higher, around 7g per serving for the powder alone.

I've tried the heavy cream 50:50 with water, and to tell the truth, I ended up with chocolate sauce, not pudding -- it didn't firm up at all. I wonder if the powder was blended into 1 cup of water, then whip the cream separately till stiff then fold the liquidized pudding mix into that ??? Since I'm off cowmilk dairy and processed-foods for a while, someone else will have to try it out.

I have also used canned coconut milk ... which has around 4 carbs per cup. There are a few brands around that are citrate and additive-free. Tthese are great, and work well in the pudding mix, thickening very nicely. Adds a pleasant coconut flavour as well.

Doreen
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 07:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 195/150/140
BF:
Progress: 82%
Thumbs up

I know what you mean.....I also was asked to please go see the person in charge of uniforms to get some smaller skirts ordered......at least the company will supply my new sizes as long as I need smaller sizes..If I gain...parish the thought...then I would have to pay for the new sizes...I just love my new WOL
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 16:20

Plan: Herbalife
Stats: 310/290/190
BF:
Progress:
Talking You do not like shopping?

Why won't you just go nude? Saves money and painful shopping time...
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 20:21

Stats: 202/168/140
BF:
Progress: 55%
Talking Saran Wrap and Stilleto's

Hey Babasali -

Go Nude - I dont think so! I have already threatened that once I lose all of my weight I will be coming to work in colored saran wrap and stilleto's. I am bold but not insane

Shannon