Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 384/376/285
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default Question re Sugar Free Jello

Is Sugar Free Jello allowed on Induction? I know that it contains aspartame, but I have not had anything sweet all week. Would having some of this be my downfall? Experienced LC'ers please advise.

Thanks
Emily
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-16-02, 20:53

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Aspartame is banned by Dr. A., but not based on its effect on metabolism or weight loss. Instead, he has concerns over its basic safety. It's hard to tell the truth of the matter because every single artificial sweetener has gone through a cycle of being the greatest thing since sliced bread (THAT saying takes on a new meaning for LC'ers, doesn't it? ) to being the cause of everything from brain tumors to the appearance of the anti-christ. The ones that have been around long enough have eventually been given a clean bill of health and I wouldn't be surprised to see aspartame fall into that group. Notice that Splenda is the latest to go from the perfect invention to seeing some bad press.

There are "jellos" by Jolly Rancher that are made with sucralose. Those are all that I can find so far. Personally, I am having one or two S/F Jellos with aspartame a day with Reddi-Whip on top. Counting each as 2g of sugar. Have seen no impact on weight loss so far and it satisfies my sweet tooth nicely.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-17-02, 14:43

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 186/186/140 Female 52 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hello
I think jello is allowed on induction but in limited portions... I have a sugar free jolly rancher jello cup.. with 1-2 tbls spoons of heavy cream.. Its made with splenda (sacrulose) spelling?

If you want to try it i wouldnt recommend more than 1 tiem a week to start out with... then mabe after induction 2 times a week.. But becare ful that it dosent start you cravign sweets.. If it does band it or if you see that it affects your weight loss then cut it out for a while..
good luck
Tammy
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 22:44

Plan: atkins/south beach
Stats: 170/168/130 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress:

Can you tell me where to get this Jolly Rancher cup with the heavy whipping cream or do I have to make it myself? If so, can you tell me the recipe please?
I am going through sugar withdrawals (don't miss pasta,breads etc) and the only thing that seems to satisfy it is the sugar free jello. It doesn't have that yukky after taste most s/f sodas have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjdk2
Hello
I think jello is allowed on induction but in limited portions... I have a sugar free jolly rancher jello cup.. with 1-2 tbls spoons of heavy cream.. Its made with splenda (sacrulose) spelling?

If you want to try it i wouldnt recommend more than 1 tiem a week to start out with... then mabe after induction 2 times a week.. But becare ful that it dosent start you cravign sweets.. If it does band it or if you see that it affects your weight loss then cut it out for a while..
good luck
Tammy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-07, 23:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 182/125/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjonesj3
I am going through sugar withdrawals (don't miss pasta,breads etc) and the only thing that seems to satisfy it is the sugar free jello. It doesn't have that yukky after taste most s/f sodas have.

And if you have the sugar free jello, you're never going to get past the cravings.

Having the jello just feeds your "sweet tooth"... and you won't get past it.

Induction is the time you break your addictions... my advice... just say, "No, thank you" to the jello.

Fat and protein will get you past a craving.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 01:48
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

If you can't find the Jolly Rancher gelatin cups, and you prefer to avoid aspartame for whatever reason, you could try this recipe from Linda Sue's site. It's what I use when I want a gelatin dessert.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/no_carb_jello.html
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 07:27

Stats: 280/224/150 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 43%

I am one of those people that LOVE fruit. I am also on induction. (I like induction, so I am entering my 4th month of it)
My take: sugar free jello is my saving grace when I crave fruit (as well as fruit flavored waters). I have a small bowl of jello when I'm in need. For me, it has not stirred up any additional sugar/carb cravings.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 08:08

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtmiller
And if you have the sugar free jello, you're never going to get past the cravings.

Having the jello just feeds your "sweet tooth"... and you won't get past it.

Induction is the time you break your addictions... my advice... just say, "No, thank you" to the jello.

Fat and protein will get you past a craving.

Yes, fat & protein should get you past a craving - unless it's the flavor you crave. I just don't see adding orange extract flavoring to my eggs or steak to get the orange flavor I want.

In my experience, the sugar free jello does not prevent getting past the cravings. It may 'feed the sweet tooth' but so do other foods we sweeten with splenda and the sf syrups. And if someobdy is craving the sweets so bad, it becomes an unhappy challenge of 'willpower' to avoid them. SF Jello is a way to have the sweets with minimal effect. And sf jello can act as a step-down to lessening the desire for sweets. - if it does prevent the eater from getting past the cravings.

I think there is a line (fine line, perhaps) between 'craving' sweets and 'liking' sweets. And perhaps I'm mixing it up in my mind. But ... just my opinon.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 10:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 2002
Stats: 182/125/125 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsybyrd
Yes, fat & protein should get you past a craving - unless it's the flavor you crave. I just don't see adding orange extract flavoring to my eggs or steak to get the orange flavor I want.

In my experience, the sugar free jello does not prevent getting past the cravings. It may 'feed the sweet tooth' but so do other foods we sweeten with splenda and the sf syrups. And if someobdy is craving the sweets so bad, it becomes an unhappy challenge of 'willpower' to avoid them. SF Jello is a way to have the sweets with minimal effect. And sf jello can act as a step-down to lessening the desire for sweets. - if it does prevent the eater from getting past the cravings.

I think there is a line (fine line, perhaps) between 'craving' sweets and 'liking' sweets. And perhaps I'm mixing it up in my mind. But ... just my opinon.

I would agree that if it's the flavor you want, then the jello can work.

As with anything... it's Your Mileage May Vary.

I've seen a lot of people get derailed early on because they tried to satisfy the cravings for sweets... and never got to the point of getting past them... and thus "failed".

My personal experience with jello is ... bloat. So I avoid it!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 10:55

Stats: 274/208/180 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 70%

You know, a little aspartame never hurt anyone.

Now, incredibly large amounts might have hurt a few lab rats.

I've read several articles about how aspartame could cause cancer and at least the same amount of articles that say there is no evidence for it. Everything now-a-days is "bad" for us. Heck, I bar-b-cue all the time (with charcoal even!) and that's not supposed to be good for you.

So, I think the SF Jello would be okay. But like they say, YMMV.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 11:16

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjtmiller
I would agree that if it's the flavor you want, then the jello can work.

this is the approach i take with cravings as well... i deconstruct what i'm craving and determine if it's based on flavor or texture, then prepare something appropriately.

if it's the fruity flavor that's causing the craving, you can always take the splenda davinci or torani syrups in their fruit versions (i found ones in raspberry and peach), add unsweetened kool-aid powder, orange extract, and whip those with heavy cream into a mousse-like consistency. that'll help avoid the aspatame issues.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 15:10
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTragic
You know, a little aspartame never hurt anyone.
Unfortunately, I have to take issue with this. If I ingest "a little aspartame," I end up in the hospital.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 17:21

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

SF jello helped get me off sugar years ago and I have neve re-acquired the craving.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisal
If you can't find the Jolly Rancher gelatin cups, and you prefer to avoid aspartame for whatever reason, you could try this recipe from Linda Sue's site. It's what I use when I want a gelatin dessert.

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/no_carb_jello.html
Thought I was original when I came up with this. But I like making my jello with Kool-Aid as there are many more flavors to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbahn
Aspartame is banned by Dr. A., but not based on its effect on metabolism or weight loss. Instead, he has concerns over its basic safety. It's hard to tell the truth of the matter because every single artificial sweetener has gone through a cycle of being the greatest thing since sliced bread (THAT saying takes on a new meaning for LC'ers, doesn't it? ) to being the cause of everything from brain tumors to the appearance of the anti-christ. The ones that have been around long enough have eventually been given a clean bill of health and I wouldn't be surprised to see aspartame fall into that group. Notice that Splenda is the latest to go from the perfect invention to seeing some bad press.
I'm still waiting for the cyclamates to come back!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-07, 21:13
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I don't think SF stuff is good on induction either, but if it keeps you on plan its worth the risk-- I had SF peanut butter cups on induction with no problems except GI distress

Once your sugar cravings fade in a few weeks or months and your tastes change you won't miss it. When I did make SF Jello I added more Knox gelatin to make it thick like "Knox Blocks"-- it wasn't bad with a little whipped cream. Avoid "Cool Whip" though.