Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 09:54
Registered Member

Plan: own plan
Stats: // Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Fruit...a different kind of carb?

I know that generally lthe argument is that fruit is metabolized like a sugar, but can be eaten in later stages as it has many nutrients unlike other carbs with empty calories. But I am just curious how it can be that people who follow the Raw Food type way of eating lose so much weight eating tons and tons of fruit along with fats (oils, nuts, etc). Could it be that the body recognizes fruit differently than grains, starches, and so on-- and digests it differently? Have any of you had less problems adding fruit back than things like bread, sugary foods, potatoes? Is this due to less cravings with fruit than other higher carb foods or something else? Could anyone explain the role of fruit in the early human diet? I know many societies lived on meat and fats, but how about those in the tropics? Wouldn't their fruit ratio have been higher? Has anyone experimented with eating fruit as their only carbs along with the usual lowcarb foods being non-processed protiens and fats? Does mixing a higher carb amount in fruits with fats lead to the same problems as high carb and high fat diets healthwise? Sorry for all the questions, but I am very curious!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 10:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sugar is sugar, no matter where it comes from. There's no digestive difference, except rate of absorption. That's affected by fiber, protein, etc.

I would guess that the raw diet works simply because of calorie restriction. They're eating *some* fat, but probably very little. Plus, a raw diet eliminates common stallers: artificial sweeteners, dairy, etc.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Feb-06-04 at 10:03.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 12:23
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Not every diet works for every person. Someone who is insulin resistant probably wouldn't lose weight eating all that fruit, while another person could. It's like low fat. Some people lose great on a low fat/high carb diet, while others can actually gain on it.

Just add fruit back in slow and watch your reaction. Some people reat to fruit because it's so sweet, while others can have it every meal of the day with no problem. Just be sure to have it with some protien to lessen the impact on blood sugars. When they eat nuts with the fruit they have some fiber from the fruit and some protien frmo the nuts slowing the sugar rush. If they aren't insulin sensative they will have a normal reaction, while someone else may have a huge crash down.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 19:29
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I know some people on raw food diets and they dont eat any or very little fruits and tons of veggies. They would have maybe 1 piece of fruit a day or so.

I think it just depends on what works for you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 21:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I know the Neanderthin author cautioned people about fruit if they are also trying to lose weight. (I really like the concept, but I'm hanging on to my coffee & yogurt!)
He also makes the point that modern fruits are bred to be both larger and sweeter than their wild counterparts. And in most climates, fruit is only available seasonally, not year round.
I was thrilled to find my favorite fruits, berries and melons, are pretty low carb, and I have them several times a week now that I'm maintaining. But small portions, and usually with a meal, as LadyBelle suggested.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 09:44

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%

Doesn't Atkins say to introduce fruite in the later stages - pre maintenance?

My personal feeling is that most types of fruit would be ok, and metabolised different to other carbs because most of them are low glycemic index (all except pineapple, bananna and watermelon).