Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%
Default Is this safe?

I've been LCing since the July 7th. The weight started to come off slowly at first but now I'm losing a pound a day, everyday for the last 3 weeks. I feel great but my friends and Doctor say it's not safe to lose that much weight in such a short time. I rarely eat more than 10 grams of carbs a day.

Dave
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 13:52

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

well i don't think its very safe... but don't have any facts to back it up.. why are u in such a rush?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 14:13

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default Hi Dave

If the rate at which you are losing (7lbs a week) concerns you how about increasing your carbs to 20g/day. That would slow it down.

Personally I would be delighted if I could lose 7lb a week but yes it does seem a little steep.
Take care.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-01, 14:38

Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I'm no MD but..

I don't think you should be panicking yet, looking at your profile you are still quite aways off from your goal weight and you are a guy (and guys seem to lose faster). I wouldn't worry because you'll probably taper off soon. Oh, and adding 10 more carbs won't hurt either.

Your body was probably trying to figure out what you were doing in the beginning and then when it registered that you were doing something good for it, it agreed and is showing its appreciation.

Keep up the good work
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-24-01, 11:21

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

from what I've read, it is metabolically impossible to lose more than a pound of fat every 3 days (probably more like 4-5 for women). When we lose 10 pounds in our first 2 weeks OP, we are losing excess water weight, largely. You may be experiencing that, finally. (if it has been delayed, I have to wonder if you were eating some food you were sensitive to at first, and have eliminated it from your diet now, so that the bloat is coming off now). The more overweight a person is, the more water weight they can retain and thus lose.

Your doctor's concern may be that you are losing Lean Body tissue--from the muscles, including, at worst, muscle tissue from the heart. People on super-low-calorie diets experienced that, to their health's detriment. To counteract the tendency to lose muscle mass, it's a good idea to lift weights while dieting. The bonus with LC is that with the added protein we eat, it's relatively easy to put on muscle mass while losing fat--the ideal combination for long-term health and maintenance of loss.

Alternatively, your doctor may just be concerned because quick loss is the statistically least likely to be maintained. Ask him what his concern is.

Unless your friends have degrees in nutritional biology or can quote studies, ignore them. They may simply be jealous.

I would fret only if it doesn't slow down soon on its own, but I suspect it will, and, like the others hint, one day you'll wish you could do this again!

Best of luck
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-25-01, 17:57
Registered Member

Stats: 298/247.5/185 Male 6 ft 1 in
BF:36%/23%/12%
Progress: 45%

Thanks for the advice. I drink about 5 - 6 litres of water a day so I doubt I'm losing water weight. I bought one of those body fat scales today and it says I weight 259.5 lbs with 28% body fat. Now I think I can gauge better what is happening with my body. I'll keep you all informed.

Thanks

Dave
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 13:44
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 188/171/130-140
BF:
Progress:
Default Water Weight?

Re: Thanks for the advice. I drink about 5 - 6 litres of water a day so I doubt I'm losing water weight.

Hi Dave,

I drink about 3-4 litres of water a day and I'm not sure that I keep any of that on as excess weight.

I find that the water really helps to eliminate waste from the body.... and it works fast too! I find that if I also have a good size glass before my meals and a glass after meals, that also helps to clean the system.

However, it would be good to know exactly how much of the water we drink do our bodies absorb and keep in and for how long, or is it a constant flow in and out as we go to the 'Bathroom'.

If you do drink that much a day I would say that you may also be experiencing just a really good clean up of your system, and if you have a lot to lose you could be losing at a steady rate everyday. Once your all "Flushed Out" ( excuse the term ) you should see that you'll slow down, but not stop...... as long as you drink that water.

Well I wish you continued success on your road to a healthier you!

And if anyone knows more about what else water does to and for our bodies while LCing that would help.

Much success to you all!
Lisa

#8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 14:10

BF:
Default The universal solvent....

i have this wonderful alternative medicine book about water called 'your body's many cries for water' by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.. Basically it's showing that when people are sick, they are not actually sick but thirsty, and what we are doing is treating our illnesses with medications rather than water. He claims that low backaches, neckaches, headaches, stress and depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, asthma, allergies, diabetes, excess body weight(all these are discussed in the book) can all be much improved with simply drinking enough water.
It's been quite a few years since i read the book, maybe i will re-read it since it's very impressive and interesting stuff.
I am sure that what helps our weight loss is not just the low carbs, but the increased water consumption.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 16:46
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/156/140
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default Hey bluu

Can you give us the publisher and copyright date of that book and an ISBN number if possible? I would like to see if I can get a copy. If not, fill us in on the highlights sometime. Thanks!
Donna
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 16:59

BF:
Default ISBN

certainly:
ISBN: 0-9629942-3-5
Second Edition, Paperback. Published July 1995.
(Tenth Printing - Jan 1998 <-don't know if this is helpful or not..)

Publisher:
Global Health Solutions, Inc.
2146 Kings garden Way
Falls Church, VA 22043, USA.
Tel:703.848.2333
Fax:703.848.2334

I found this book at a local health store, try looking at Whole Foods store or any organic place... they usually have a small section for books.
It is a good book, scientific, makes sense.. kind of like a 'revolution' of its own.

Author: F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.
Title: You Body's Many Cries For Water.
"It is a Preventative and self-education manual, for those who prefer to adhere to the logic of the natural and the simple in medicine."
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 17:29
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I yakked a bit about it here...

Click once

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 20:42

BF:

cool thanks karen! that was interesting, i didn't know any of that other stuff .
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-26-01, 21:11
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 180/156/140
BF:
Progress: 60%
Default water

Thanks Karen and Bluu:

I know that I always feel so much better when I force myself to drink more water. There really must be something to it. I can't wait to research further into the links you had posted Karen.
Donna
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 00:23

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Your body is 75% (or more) water

Air, Water, Light, Heat - all essentials.

But your body is mostly water - don't recall exact percentage but it is pretty high. I knew that. I could live without food but not without water. Over a number of years whenever I feel under the weather increasing fluid intake has always helped - it is my first tack in "feeling under par" ... change course ... more water ...

I'll check out Karen's link though.
Take care
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 09:05

BF:

yes, our bodies are 75% water, and our brains are 85% water...