Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 158/139/120
BF:
Progress: 50%
Unhappy bummed out

I'm so bummed, when I first started I was 158. I've been on for a month and the lowest I went down to was 152 then I'm back up to 155. I feel horrible. It's so discouraging to see the weight come back. The only thing I can think of is that I don't always have a salad for lunch. Maybe just some protein. I read somewhere that you need fat to lose fat. What are good fats I can eat?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 15:36

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Talking CAD/CALP

I am no expert but here are some questions you may want to think about.

Have you read the CAD book completely? Either way, you probably should read it again. Take your time. Make notes. ( I like the CALP book much better. You might want to read it to.)

Are you tracking what you eat each day? Do you have a journal?

Are you eating enough each day? Don't fool around with mother nature, starve your body and it will react by holding on to the weight you want to loose.

Drink enough water?

You can do this Sassy. Keep trying and don't be afraid to make mistakes. We are all different and have different reactions to the foods we eat.

If you want to list a few days worth of your meals I am sure there are people here who can help you make some adjustments that might help you. Or you might want to go to the Journals and read what some folks eat on a regular basis.

Best wishes,
Libby
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 15:56
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I know that feeling, Sassy....but don't give up! Like Libby suggested, it's probably just something you're not doing "right". Probably the most common mistake for "newbies" is not eating enough calories, especially fat. I highly suggest logging a week's worth of meals on www.fitday.com then post those meals and counts in a journal here. There's bound to be an answer!! But first we need to know what you're eating. OK? Hang tight.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 17:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/205/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Sassy

Sounds like we're pretty much in the same boat. That's what happened with me.....I've been CADing/CALPing since March 3rd. I lost three pounds in the first two weeks, gained back a pound, and the only loss since then has been 1/2 pound. BUT, I'm going to stick it out and try to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I just started today keeping a record of everything I eat and drink on paper. Journaling is good in this forum, but with the paper I can study it any time I want to.
The "seniors" in here are a wealth of information. I still haven't figured out for sure what I'm doing wrong, but I'm determined to find out! Hang in there with me, Sassy. At least that way I'll know I'm not the only one. Maybe we'll both get going with the losing again at the same time! Then we can say with enthusiasm that we're a couple of "losers"! Let's hope!
Flo Jo
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 18:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/205/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Libby & Terri

Not enough calories? Oh happy day!!!!!!! Please explain. Is it when you don't take in enough calories and the body goes into the "I'm going to starve" mode and stores more fat?
Thanks!
Flo

Last edited by FloJo : Tue, Apr-23-02 at 19:39.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 19:58
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Absolutely! I'm sorry that I"m not familiar with CALP, so hopefully I'm not giving you bad info, but on Atkins he recommends that you eat a minimum of 10-12x your body weight in calories. There's a fine balance here.... too many calories/not enough activity and you'll stall or gain. Too few calories and your body won't let go of the fat stores.

I've been LCing since Mar 1st and stalled after my initial 8 lb. loss. What really got the scale moving again is .... dare I say it.... exercise!! As they say over on the Atkins board: If you're not exercising, you're not doing Atkins! So if you're not at least taking a very brisk walk 4-5 times a week, you better get MOVING!! Ideally you should be getting your heart rate up with exercise in the morning before you eat anything....this revs up your metabolism for several hours, burning those fat cells into oblivion. It's an advantage you don't have if you wait 'til the evening to do it. But for some that's just not possible.

Post your food, take your counts and get back to us....we'll find an expert for ya!!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 21:29
Registered Member

BF:

Well for breakfast I have eggs or mock french toast, then for lunch I have salad and some protein like chicken, and for dinner i eat whatever i make. I drink atleast 64 oz of water everyday. I know I should drink more. Maybe that's what it is. I know I have not been eating enough fat. So we'll see.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 09:17

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default tracking food

Can you be more specific? Try to track every little thing you eat.
What do you cook your eggs in? Whats in your salad? What kind of dressing? What was for dinner? Was dinner a balanced meal? Did you eat dinner within an hour?

For example. When I eat a salad I write this down in my journal:

Large Salad, iceburg and romaine lettuce, broccoli, cucumber, one small green onion, 3 mushrooms, 1 hard boiled egg, sm grated swiss cheese, regular dressing "thinned" the CALP way.

Then I have specific information. BTW, the Hellers suggest thinning your REGULAR..... not low fat....dressing with a little water. I do this and I like it because I end up with a dressing that spreads into my salad instead of sitting on top of it in a big ol' glob.

Keep your chin up!
Libby
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-24-02, 09:30
Registered Member

BF:

I always cook in olive oil. My salads usually consist of iceberg lettuce and the dressing is not thinned out. I did ot know that. That's a good tip though. When I "fix up" my salad I but some bell pepper and a little cheddar or jack cheese. Since I do CAD and not CALP I do not balance my meal that much. I have protein and always a salad and some carbs. Maybe I need more veggies at lunch? What do you guys think?