Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 18:38

Plan: Atkins Maintence with modifications
Stats: 182/150/150 Female 5ft 8 in
BF:36%/23%/22%
Progress: 100%
Unhappy My weight lose not noticeable?

Nobody seems to notice that I lost 14 pounds. I did go down in pant size but I still look chubby in the stomach area. 14 pounds doesnt seem to look like to much of a lose. How much do you need to lose to look slimmer? My goal is to lose 32 pounds so I still have 18 pounds to go. I hope that I will be able to see the lose when I lose my 32 pounds.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 19:53

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 179/134/135
BF:
Progress: 102%

We all carry our weight very differently, so there's really no set amount that makes it noticeable to others. Also realize if someone sees you daily or often they're less likely to notice the change because it happens gradually & they see all the in between stages readjusting their perception of you along the way. If you see someone you haven't seen in quite sometime, they're more likely to notice the difference. I doubt very much that people won't notice a 32lb loss, so I wouldn't worry about that. However, people often notice weight loss without commenting on it because they don't want to imply you looked fat before losing weight. A 14lb loss is great, so don't rely on others to make you see what a big accomplishment you've made. Be proud, dropping a full size is great! I've lost over 40lbs & 2 sizes, but personally don't see too much of a difference, so maybe you're like me & don't see the loss even though there's no disputing it. Stick with it, I think you're doing great! I'm sure others will tell you so soon!
God Bless,
Amy-Lynne
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 20:04

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Don't worry, most people will not say anything, tilyour about 20 lbs or more gone, I went through that at work, now at 26 gone, everyone is in on it???? I remember feeling hurt that no one notice the first ten pounds, then decided to kind of keep it my little secret, til they brought it up

Good Luck Kathy
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-03, 23:39

Stats: 196/179/164 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 53%

I am in the same spot as you!! lost 14 lbs too, and haven't really been able to tell, even looking at myself. There are certain angles where i think i look slightly smaller, but 14lbs seems like it would feel like a lot more I am hanging in there - waiting for the woosh fairy to take away the inches
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 00:39

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

I hear you. DH does not really say much but people who have not seen me in a while tell me I look good. It is kinda frustrating.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 00:59

Stats: 212/181/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I am in a similar position. I am about 16 pounds down, and people are saying stuff like "you look really well", but don't seem to attribute it to weight loss. Maybe as others have said, they don't won't to hurt our feelings???
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 01:06

Stats: 169/154.5/147
BF:26/23.7/21
Progress: 66%
Default Wow!

Congrats to you!!!!

As long as it's noticeable to you that is all that matters. I think we tend to do this first and foremost for our own health.

Bravo to you!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 02:08
Registered Member

Stats: 163/149/125
BF:
Progress: 37%

That 14 pound number seems to be a common theme on this thread! I, too, have lost 14 pounds, and have 24-ish pounds to go.

In my case, I think no one has really noticed (including me!) the weight loss become it came off very gradually - partly because I had a couple of detours.

In any case, I am very determined to reach my goal and am sure along the way both others and I will see more significant changes!

Hang in there!!!

Joan
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 03:37
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

No one said anything to me until I had lost 25 pounds. At five feet tall-weight loss is usually pretty noticable. Even at a 25 pound loss-one woman told me that my hair cut looked really good. Many people don't want to say anything as it implies that they thought you were fat before. My advisor and I were talking about weight loss one day as he has dropped a few pounds too-he told me he had noticed, but didn't want to say anything. I have found that once I have gotten past that "magic" 25 pound loss-it is easier and easier to notice a difference as I keep losing. The last 5 pounds has made a big difference.

My belly has shrunk, but is still there. My legs are one size and my waist is another, so I think that is pretty normal. At least the belly is easier to hide these days in clothes!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 05:43

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

I think I had lost 20-23 lbs. before someone who didn't know I was dieting said anything. The only other person to say something earlier only mentioned it because we were talking about it...lol. My boss said something like, yeah, you are looking a little thinner in the face and uh, you know...lol. Then he got embarrassed and changed the subject...lol.

I can't really tell that I've lost as much as I have. Yeah, I'm fitting in a size smaller clothes easily, but I still feel really big most of the time. Of course maybe that's because I am, but I'm hoping that with another 25 lbs. I will *really* feel the difference.

Not complaining about the 25 already gone though! (Don't want the whoosh fairy to think I'm complaining...lol).

L
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:54

Stats: 181/181/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Me too.

14 lbs down and just a few (3) people seem to notice. It's motivating when people notice. They all know that I am on Atkins. So, are they saying b/c they can really notice or just b/c they know I am on ATKINS.

One thing is for sure, I can feel it in my clothes, plus men now do a double take. My face usually blows right up. However, today I am having lunch with co-workers I haven't seen seens Jan 03. Started the atkins on March, if they can't tell then we are in trouble. I'll keep you all posted.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 06:57

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Thumbs up

I had to hit 20 lbs before anyone noticed (other than my hubby who sees me in the buff). It will be noticed...just keep it up...you are doing great!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 07:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Just wanted to add this.

I remember reading somewhere, and I believe it, that we tend to put on weight from the hips/thighs UP. We tend to take off weight from the top down.

I've watched, and this is what my body seems to do. So, it takes a little while longer for the tummy and hips.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 08:29

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

i have lost 37 pounds. guess what, only a few people noticed. i think the people that see you everyday will not notice because you loose gradually. now i can't wait for the people who haven't seen me at all during this time get a look!!

i also think that it may be they notice but don't say anything, especailly co-workers who may not think that is appropriate lunch table talk??
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Apr-30-03, 10:31

Stats: 177/145/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally posted by wordlady
I remember reading somewhere, and I believe it, that we tend to put on weight from the hips/thighs UP. We tend to take off weight from the top down.

I've noticed this too, believe me! I'm losing inches in my waist that I don't really need to. This morning I checked my waist measurement, and I was down another 1/2 inch to 26 1/2! I wish my butt would join in the loss!