Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 22:00

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Freestyle Meter Questions

Okay...I am the one who "accidentially " got the Diasticks. So...I got a Freestyle Meter the next day....stabbed (literally) about 10 times...got a high average for the day....220. Now it is 2 weeks later...average is 135 with low 100's before bed.

Several questions:

1. The info booklet in the Freestyle test strips says that the readings on the skin are 7% higher than blood taken from the vein...anyone know abouit this?
2. Got a visit with my OB/Gyn coming up in 3 weeks...BG should be normal by then...what do I tell him..(he was out of the country for the past week)
3. I already feel hostile about the diet Info I might get...any suggestions?

You guys are great...I would be freaking out ...without you guys and Dr B!

Last edited by Sherrielee : Sun, Apr-27-03 at 07:10.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 14:34

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Sherrielee!

I'll see if I can answer your questions.

Quote:
1. The info booklet in the Freestyle test strips says that the readings on the skin are 7% higher than blood taken from the vein...anyone know abouit this?

It's because skin/finger pricks measure mostly plasma blood glucose and venous samples measure whole blood. The idea behind testing, though, isn't necessarily to get a 100% accurate result each time, but rather to see if there is a general trend developing or to check if you are too high/low at any given time.

Quote:
2. Got a visit with my OB/Gyn coming up in 3 weeks...BG should be normal by then...what do I tell him..(he was out of the country for the past week)

I'd suggest sharing as much as you're comfortable with. Is this doctor responsible for the majority of your medical care? As much as it's uncomfortable to share this type of information with your doctor, it's important that they know as much about what is going on with you medically as possible for them to give you accurate and complete treatment. Witholding information such as this can lead to errors which hurt both of you. Remember; your doctor is supposed to be your partner in health care, not your adversary. They can't help you if they don't know what's going on or you try to hide information from them.

Quote:
3. I already feel hostile about the diet Info I might get...any suggestions?

If you don't agree with any dietary advice you receive, you have a right as the patient to decline to follow it. Whether or not you wish to give an explanation as to why is up to you. There's no need to react with hostility or get angry. If you aren't comfortable telling them directly that you don't wish to follow their diet and why, you can always take whatever literature they give you and then continue with what you are doing. I don't prefer to be deceitful with my doctor because I consider him my partner in caring for my health and he deserves me to be truthful with him as much as I expect him to be truthful with me. No doctor or dietician can force you to follow their recommendations. The worst that they can do is refuse to continue to treat you and then perhaps you are better off anyway finding a physician who is willing to work with you to achieve your goals.
Who knows? You may be pleasantly surprised to find that they are quite receptive to your following a low carb plan, but you'll never know unless you share that information with them. If you anticipate resistance, bring your blood sugar records and diet log with you (if you are keeping them) to show them how much this is helping you. Numbers/results often speak louder than words. You can also print off studies from this site to bring along as well to back up what you are choosing to do.