Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 22:22

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Question My dad, Mom and Schwarzbein

Okay. .Tanya and I seem to be doing well and quite happy with what we are doing.
However the one major reason we looked hard at all of this.. is my father.. a type two diabetic.
For all sorts of reason.. my father.while impressed with Schwarzbein, questions everything.. and of course even though he sees the ridiculousness of the ADA diet, he just can't get the idea of "low fat" being best out of his head.
There are other issues too.. even with the fact he really IS doing better..
But. for my mothers part of this.. she is getting near 60 and just TIRED of cooking, but.. my father is the problem. He used to just go make himself sandwhiches between meals ect..
All the time..
Now of course his ability to eat sandwiches till the cows come home is just out of the question..
But he doesn't seem to know WHAT to make himself if my mother goes out with my sisters for dinner ect.
WHAT ideas could we present my mother and father for him to have QUICK but schwarzbein-y type meals?
We want him to succeed at this..
And I for one would LOVE to see him really TRY.. not just half way..
I mean.. my sister and i went over his diet.. for the week proceeding...
And I wanted to SAY.. DAD..MOM.. CAKE IS A CARBO!!!!
A BAD CARBO!
LOL..and he had it at least twice during the week!
**sigh**
Too late for Poofie...
I hope this post made some sense..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 22:51

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Poofie. I am in a similar quandry. My parents both realize that low-carbing is good for them (and they have chosen TSP) and they need really to do it. However, my dad has been continuously ordering fish & chips whenever he goes out for lunch, which is often, and eating a lot more carbs than is good for him.

I just got through spending a 2 1/2 weeks vacation with them where we camped and ate out a fair bit of the time. I was able to cook for them and I tried to be a good example to my dad when we went out. Mom was with me on this and she followed my lead wonderfully.

Today we had our last lunch together before they leave town tomorrow. As we were deciding what to order, Dad said he would have the fish & chips. I sighed. A few minutes later, Dad asked me what I recommended he order. I was elated! He wound up getting the Santa Fe Chicken Salad. A very good low-carb choice.

What I'm trying to say is that it can be done. You can help your loved ones (parents) join the low-carb way of eating.

As to suggestions: I recommend that your mom roast some chicken thighs and keep them in the freezer. They are quick to thaw and heat and yummy. I buy the chicken thighs in the bulk bag (4 pounds) and cook up two or three bags at a time.

Also, string cheese is one of my dad's favorite snacks. He also eats peanuts, but when I explained that they tend to give me acid reflux, from which Dad also suffers, he started to cut back on them. They are a good snack, but they do have a fair amount of carbs in them.

Does your dad like carrots and celery? They are easy to keep handy in the refrigerator and if you get a tub of soft cream cheese, you have quick, easy snack that covers all three nutrients (protein, fat, & carbs [non-starchy]).

Good luck. Your dad will feel so much better when he really gets on the program -- my dad has heart problems we are hoping to alleviate.

;-Deb
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-22-02, 10:46

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Thumbs up Thanks Deb!

I realize the biggest thing that we have to overcome with both my parents is the mindset.
My mother does remember her grandfather and grandmother, who were a farming family in Mid Utah area.
Everyday for breakfast they would eat eggs, sausage, ham, bacon and hot cereal, whole grain toast ect..
They ate well...although she remembers that they didn't go back for seconds..
but the real jist that she is missing IS..that when you eat like this.. taking care of protien and fat needs.. you DON'T have to go back for seconds.
He lived to a ripe old age well over 90 and even to that point was one of the healthiest, handsome older men around.
My mother is going through the "i don't like my veggies" thing..and doesn't like giving up her carbs..
We keep telling her she doesn't have to.. AND there are those veggies and fruits she does like.. so concentrate on them
For my dad as I said.. the biggest thing is still the "they" that tell him that lowfat high carb is best..
Ughhhy!
But Tanya IS doing so well on this she is a walking advertisment on how well this WOE is for you.
I will just gently suggest to them what you have said.. and a few other things I have thought of. and we can hope for the best!
Thanks deb!
Poofie!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 14:30

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 222/199/120 Female 62.5
BF:?/30/20
Progress: 23%

I have no clue how I missed this thread other than the fact I really didn't look around here too well yesterday. We need all the help we can get. Poofie I guess I figure the best we can do is for ourselves and maybe the rest of the family will somehow figure this out. I suppose it helps that we are nurses and taught to question where as mom and dad come from the era that you don't question a doctor.
sigh, Tanya