Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 06:41

Plan: new high protein diet
Stats: 224/224/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question sugar free drinks

can anyone please tell me what type of sugar free drinks i am allowed to have or is it only water, all the sugar free drinks (to dilute) contain aspartame or phenylalanine and are supposed to be banned? i just dont like plain water all the time HELP
thanks in advance for your support
*HUGS*
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 10:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 263/239/170
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default sugar free drinks

I've been drinking slim lite drinks (0 carbs, 0 calories) and any diet drink with splenda in moderation (diet rite is made with splenda). Mostly cold water though. Been doing Atikins for over 2 months. Hope this helps
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 10:27

Plan: new high protein diet
Stats: 224/224/140
BF:

thanks for that angela
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 16:39

Plan: The Atkins Diet.
Stats: 358/358/150
BF:

Me and my mother drink any kind of diet soda or water. I haven't tried the Atkins brand shakes, but the Keto brand ones are GROSS. Don't waste your money. Go to your health food store, ours has tons of low-carb goodies. Hope I helped.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 16:54

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%

I used the Crystal Light powder during induction, mixed with about twice the recommended amount of water. I drank it sparingly, only one 8 oz cup at a sitting. It didn't seem to bother my loss at all.

I have heard that some people have trouble with it.

Apparently, the crystal light drink in individual bottles is sweetened with Splenda and is a-ok for induction.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 23:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/250/130
BF:

diet soda in induction: bad or good?

i am so confused!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, May-27-03, 07:55
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Diet soda sweetened with Splenda is now on the acceptable foods for induction list. It did not use to be.

It's better to drink just plain water. Some people, however are not ready to go without diet soda, so in that case, a splenda based soda is better than aspertame.

Dr. Atkins discourages the use of aspertame because of potention health hazards and it is a probably staller of weight loss.

Drink water, it's good for you!

Beth
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 04:58

Stats: 220/175/155
BF:
Progress: 69%

So diet drinks can cause weight gain or stall the process.?
I been on the atkins a while and im stuck. Dont know what im doing wrong but im not losing nothing. Standstill.
I eat those carb bars which say they have 14 carbs but only 2 count towards carbs.(dont understand that) I drink diet coke and sprite as well alot. I guess those could be it but dunno.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 06:14

Hi Diurnal,

The bars have a bad reputation here on the boards, so much so that I've decided not to mess with them while I'm trying to lose. I'm sure you'll get some more specific advice from some smarter folks around here, but if I were you I might try cutting the bars out first.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 06:30

BF:

Really , wow i knew they tasted to good, at least the mint flavor. I would like to hear from others about it. Are they bad for you and or cause you not to lose weight?
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 06:59

Default The Bars

As I understand it, there are a couple reasons why they might stall people. I haven't heard anything about them being "bad" for you (except of course that they aren't a great substitute for natural foods).

Ok, as I understand things:

First, they use a lot of glycerin, from 15 to 40 carbs worth. Glycerin has been shown to not have a significant effect on blood insulin levels so they are allowed to leave it off their "net carbs" count. But many have claimed the bars stalled them, so people have begun looking suspiciously at the glycerin. Note that others eat the bars without any trouble.

Second, many of the bars have sugar alcohols. These are also suspected stallers. For this reason, some bars specifically do not, like the Atkins bars. Here's a link about sugar alcohols:
http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html

So anyway, you might try giving up the bars just for a week and see what happens. If nothing changes, start again with the bars and try giving up diet sodas for a week. I suspect that many stalls happen just because people get in a rut or pattern of eating that the body adapts to. Sometimes it's good just to change things up to break the pattern. Here's a quote from an article from Men's Fitness:
Quote:
The body is lazy: Once it has adapted to a pattern (achieved homeostasis), it will work just enough, no more, no less, to maintain that balance. To continue getting leaner, the body must not be allowed to become complacent. It has to be gently shocked into continued adaptation.

Another link you might be interested in is this one on weight loss stalls: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html

Don't worry - you'll figure it out! If you spend any time on these boards you'll see that countless people have stalled and broken through. It's just a matter of when

Last edited by lostarts : Wed, May-28-03 at 07:04.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-28-03, 12:02

BF:

Ok Thanks bro...

Ill try to mix and match somethings. The sweet part is where im going to have some troubles, like all the others on this forums. What type of sweets do you eat or recommend for a low carb solution?

I see you got a long way to go, you can get there bro if you try.

Looks like your taking a break or something.
I am not real active, and when i do get active, the cravings are everywhere. I take antidepressants(caused my weight gain) to help me with my anxiety and of course depression and sleep. ANy way goodluck to 155 , you can attain it. I got to 180 pretty quick. Then I change diets(atkins) and got about 15pds off and then went back and forth. NOw im around 170-176. I wish i could get down to 160 or 155. Ill try my best.
cya