Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:53
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default yogurt tastes

I found 2 new kinds of whole milk yogurt today, so I decided to get them and do a little taste testing. So far this is my basic opinion (note this is just my opinions)

Best: Mountain High Origional Style
8g of fat and 18g carb per cup, 5 active cultures
It has the best taste with no acidic bite at all. It is also thick and creamy. My only worry is that it tastes so good, there may not be as much lactic acid.

Good: Horizon Organic Whole Milk Yogurt
8g fat, 14g carb per cup, and 5 active cultures
Still tastes smooth and creamy. Less carb and 30 less calories then the mountain high, not available in large sizes and costs a little more (here at least)

Ok: Stonyfield Farm Organic
9g fat, 16g carb with 3 fiber, six active cultures plus inulin which is suposed to aid in calcium absorbtion
This is a bit thinner then the others, a tad more yellowish in color, and not as smooth. The taste is also more acidic. With 1 more culture, some fiber, plus the inulin it may be a better bet for a low carb WOE

Blah: Organic Non Fat yogurt (Nancy's if I remember)
This had 5 cultures and about the same number of carbs as the rest. Very acidic and just nasty tasting without sweetner of some kind.

Even though the Stonyfield farm isn't that great tasting I may switch to that because it has lower carbs and seems to be the healthiest. What do some of the more experienced people think? Should I go with best tasting because it is probably just as few carbs after lactose is eaten, or should I go with the one lower in carbs on the nutricion lable?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 12:56

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

My favorite is Brown Cow Organic full-fat yogurt (cream-top). It's less expensive than the Stonyfield equivalent.

I stopped buying any Horizon dairy products after I learned that Horizon is basically a factory farm: cows kept in crowded conditions, grain-fed, conventional medical treatment. Horizon meets is organic in letter of the requirements, but not in spirit.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 13:34

Plan: Atkins-->PP
Stats: 250/211.0/170 Female 5'5"
BF: size 26/22/12
Progress: 49%

my favorite is also the stonyfield brand. i wonder if it is indeed worse for you because it tastes better.......

seems like that is true for everything!!!!

does anybody have any insite on this one??
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:06

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Brown cow for me!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins 06/01/03
Stats: 205/202/135 Female 64 inches
BF:NA/41.7/25%
Progress: 4%

I love stonyfield yogurt.

Kranti
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:22

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default My favorite

Is Nancy's. But I have a question about StoneyField. For it to have fibre in it, it has to have additives. What are they?

When I look for a yogurt, I look for live cultures and no additives, just milk, milk solids, and cultures. Nancy's has that (and it may not have the milk solids, I don't remember off hand). I do like a little sharpness, but Nancy's is very smooth, is very thick and tastes great.

What is your favorite way to eat it? I like mine with a little salt. I dip vegetables in it (artichokes and broccoli are the best), use it as a "steak sauce," and just eat it plain. It's also good without the salt on frozen or fresh berries and I don't sweeten it.

;-Deb
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 15:50

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Quote:
What is your favorite way to eat it?

Two ways:

1) Cut 3-4 fresh strawberries into pieces and put it into a ziplock back with some splenda and let it sit in the fridge overnight. If the strawberries are really sweet I skip the splenda. In the morning, add the strawberries to the plain yogurt and enjoy.

2) Add a cup of yogurt with half and half and some berries and a splash of vanilla. . .and blend to create a smoothie.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Most mornings I just eat it plain. Other times I mix in 1 scoop of protien powder and have sort of a custard. Starting tomarrow I'm going to make a shake with protien powder, yogurt, ice, and soem fresh blueberries I picked up. I've also used it as a creamy salad dressing with oil and spices mixed in. I can't have regular cream, so I use yogurt as a substatute in recipes that call for cream.

On the Nanacy's, I got the fat free, so that probably had alot to do with the taste. If they have a whole milk it is probably alot better. The only whole milk yogurt that particular store had was sweetened with maple syrup.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156.8/136/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Don't you just love the brown cow cream top. Oh so good.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 22:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 224/185/160 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 61%

Anyone tried the soy-yogurts?

Stoneyfield's farms,Yo-Baby Banana gets my vote
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 21:41
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 177/173/160
BF:
Progress: 24%

I just bought some Stoneyfield whole milk, and I have a comment and a question.

Deb, here's the word from the Stoneyfield website about the fiber:

Quote:
We've added inulin (a natural dietary fiber) to our fat free yogurt recipe to improve the creamy texture and put a little extra health insurance in every delicious bite. Inulin is a natural dietary fiber that has been proven to help boost calcium absorption by 20%-50%, and dietary fiber is great for healthy weight management!

Stoneyfield lovers: Is the cream on top always very thick and almost buttery? I was surprised at the consistency as well as the taste -- it reminded me of the English clotted cream I got in a Christmas basket. I was also surprised that it was so thick that it didn't mix back into yogurt underneath very well. I needed a whisk to try to mix it back in, and there are still tiny blobs of it floating around in there. Normal?

Thanks, Beth
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-03, 09:25
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/238.4/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Stoneyfield is the only kind I can get around here, and sometimes the stores don't even have that.

I love the thick cream on top and don't mix it in. I make the first serving be extra delicious by making it mostly cream. I add Designer Whey protein powder to it (chocolate) and it's dreamy. Designer Whey is also good with riccotta cheese.

It is also good with frozen blueberries added in.

Beth