Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 13:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%
Angry Argh! Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Today I had temptation set right in front of me. A very stressful day at work and the girl next to me went out and bought 'popcorn chicken' from KFC. Oh the smell. Wafting through the office....

"Go on, have one" she said
"No thanks, I can't" says I
"Oh go on, they're luuuuuuuuuurvly" she says, going Mmmmm as she ate one in front of me on purpose and licked her lips.

I told her she wasn't very nice to do that and then I went for a walk.

I did give in and have 1 piece of chocolate earlier in the day but it was the size of a Hershey's kiss. I was determined not to give in to the chicken as I knew that I wouldn't be able to stop with just one.

Aren't people WEIRD when they know you're on a 'diet'? Mind you, she's a girl who always struggles with her weight, says that "I don't eat much, really!" and then regales me with stories of the fries she had last night, or the pizza/curry/kebab!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 13:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 227/227/150 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Grab her by the hair and kick her in the teeth!!!

Just kidding....I will never understand why people do that???If she really cared she would be routing for you ...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 13:55
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Sometimes people don't really care about you. I have often found that the ones who try to sabotage your WOE like to rub it in your face that they can eat whatever they want.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 14:00

Stats: 259/235/170? Female 67 inches (5'7")
BF:
Progress: 14%

Moonfairy..... LOL!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 14:43

Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

I work with 2 girls who are absolutely great. Soo supportive. The other day they wanted to order in pizza, asked me if it would be OK *sob*. When the pizza arrived, they took it out the back so I would not have to watch them eat it (hey, I was enjoying my tuna salad), then they bought me back some cheese, olives, anchovies off the top. Better friends I could not have!!
Cheers
Pam
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 18:23

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Wow, Pamlyn! What great and thoughtful friends! Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 20:11

Plan: NK-LCHF
Stats: 158.2/155.2/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

haha

payin' the piper - she will one day.

You will catch her in a streak of dieting and u will bring on the chicken with the mayo and the big steak......and see the low cal, low energy face looking back at you ....

its the law of life, she will learn one day.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 20:18

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

Speaking of KFC, I have been wanting some soooo bad!!!! So, I just went to their web site. If you get original recipe chicken and remove the skin and the coating, then it has 0 carbs! I am sure some of the flavor would have to cook through to it.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 20:22

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 170/155/130
BF:
Progress: 38%

you all have no idea what it's like to be in high school (or maybe you do?)..... the chocolate covored donuts, french fries, pizza, cup cakes, cookies, candy bars, sugar filled sodas are what I face everyday and have to turn down everyday and usually come home feeling sick from watching everyone eles chow down on the food I should be eating . I've become kind of numb though. I've been faced with it for a few months now, every single day, so I'm pretty much used to it and it's getting easier to turn things down.... it sucks
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:02

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 184/164/140 Female 65 inches
BF:35%/27.4%/?%
Progress: 45%
Default Re: Argh! Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by LisaUK

Mind you, she's a girl who always struggles with her weight, says that "I don't eat much, really!" and then regales me with stories of the fries she had last night, or the pizza/curry/kebab!

I work with that woman! The lady I know is struggling with her weight as well. She and I have talked about weight loss and our woes but I'm the one who was eating sushi and tofu while she would come back from lunch talking about her large pizza from Godfathers.

It's fact that when people try to persuade you with food that you've declined, they have a deep seated jealousy and inner hopes that you fail at your weight loss. I hope you get to where you want to be and are able to flaunt it to show her that you are too stong for evil temptation!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:32

Stats: 253/198/175 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 71%

Similar thing happened to me at work. I really like Coke and one of my co-workers offered to buy and pushed and pushed... Finally told him I was on a diet, so he backed off.

I'm in induction (5th day almost over) and fortunately my craving for Coke is pretty much gone. Now, I just have to be good.

My wife is very understanding too. Pretty much I cook and eat separately from the rest of my family so I'm not tempted. A few times, she's prepared my meal if I'm in a rush for work, etc.

Sam
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 21:38

Stats: 187/178.5/145
BF:28 (goal <24)
Progress: 20%
Default Sometimes evil, sometimes not

It is really frustrating to have someone offer me something that I, in the old days, would have accepted in a second. I think there are at least two reasons why people who know us and what we're trying to change about our diet would tempt us that way.

One reason is that they're motivated for some reason to sabotage us. Taking control of what we put in our mouths does mean that we are in control of some portion of our lives and therefore not under someone else's influence. That might be threatening to some people who feel that we're upsetting some sort of social balance.

The other reason is more benign. Like it or not, food is part of our culture. When people come to our houses, we tend to say things like, "Have a seat. Can I get you something?" We offer food. The first refusal is the polite way of saying, "Don't go to any trouble on my account." The second offer of food is the host's way of saying, "I value you. You're worth the trouble." Sometimes they'll even give us an excuse to take the offered food: "Oh, these are left over from ... If you don't eat them, they'll just be thrown out..." Throwing out food was a sin in my family, so that's akin to saying that you _have_ to eat something.

Anyway, I've found that saying, "You are sooooo nice to offer, but I really can't eat that anymore", usually works well enough. It satisfies the giver's need to not feel guilty about eating in front of you and acknowledges the friendship that sharing food often indicates.

GG