Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 18:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/165/125 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:?
Progress: 37%
Default tired anyone???

Hello!

I'm super excited about my new LC lifestyle! I'm on my 5th day of Atkins, and I still haven't experienced these carbo cravings I keep hearing about. The food has been great and I have a super supportive fiancee helping me out. I haven't weighed myself since Sunday when I started, as I intend to do so once a week (i had scale issues when i was younger--if you know what i mean), but my ketostix are at a moderate level, and I've been drinking a lot of water during my day.

I have a question about sleepiness. Is it common to feel extremely tired during induction? The past three days have been AWFUL! I am tired from when I get to work, until bed. I don't get as much sleep as I should, typically about 6-6.5 hours a night, but I have been on that schedule for years. I haven't been working out every day, should I? I've been keeping my activity moderate, and I don't feel stressed or even cranky. Just very sleepy! I am not a caffeine drinker--could it be something else?

Before, I'd be very tired and cranky and it was probably due to low blood sugar. This doesn't feel like that.

Any suggestions? I'd appreciate anything! I teach 8th graders and I desperately need any energy I can get! The book said days 4 and 5 were supposed to be accompanied with a surge of energy, but I'm not feeling it

Thanks! I look forward to being a part of what seems to be such a wonderful supportive community!
Marie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 05:34
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

This too is a form of withdrawl, it will past. Well sometimes I still go to bed earlier than normal . I can help but notice come the afternoon hours, my friends are complaining that they are tired and need there afternoon nap. At this point I am still going strong!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 05:50

Plan: Atkins+BFL
Stats: 208/188.5/165 Male 5 ft 9.5 in
BF:27.5%
Progress: 45%

You're not alone. This question comes up pretty frequently. I'm guessing about a third of us have a longer period of fatigue than most.

I am just starting week four and I'm still feeling *very* tired on some days. But I can see a gradual improvement. However, it's worth it for the stable blood sugar levels. I *never* have those crashes in the afternoon anymore.

Here're some things I did that seemed to help a little:

1- Get to bed a little earlier. When I get more sleep, I definately have better days, even great ones.

2- Have my main carbs at lunchtime. I moved my salad to lunch.

3- Of the two cups of coffee I allow myself each day, I moved one to just after lunchtime for an afternoon boost.

Hope this helps. It's definately disappointing not to get that "burst" of energy everyone talks about but on balance I can tell you it's still very worth it.

Good luck.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-30-03, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default tired, but kinda cranky

I was tired a bit for about the first week. But in addition to that I was cranky and on edge for that week as well. It passed and now I feel calm again...with no hot flashes or sugar ups and downs.

I never have had any cravings which astounds me!

low carb rocks