Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 15:23

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Anyone tried fried zucchini?

My neighbor gave me some zucchini from her garden. She says that she cuts it up like a potato and deep fries it like french fries.

Has anyone tried this? I'd cut off a pinky toe for a good french fry substitute.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 15:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/179/150
BF:Ugh!
Progress: 37%

Chelle,

I think you may have found your "fry"... I just posted on a camping thread about frying shredded zucchini in butter and olive oil with some minced onion and salt and pepper...if you fry it nice and crispy it comes out as a great home-fry substitute.

Also, if you cut it into strips (like french fries) you can do the same, but overcook them just a bit so the consistency gets a little crispy.

But my favorite is to bread them in a mock coating...I start with a paper plate, dump tons of dried parsley, then paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, whatever else you like, then lots of parmesian cheese....toss that all together and dunk your zucchini in some egg, then coat in the spices and fry.

Yummy doesn't even begin to describe...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 21:08

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I just had that

My husband cooked that for me, today. He made breading on his and the kids fried zucchini but made mine plain. It was very good!
But, soy flour is very low in carbs and I use it often.

Black57
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 21:51

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 246/237.6/118 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 7%
Thumbs up

Oh my gosh, i love fried zuchini so I cannot wait to try all these ideas, yum!!!! I had a cousin who is on the suzanne somer diet tell me she was going to try that with hicama. Has anyone ever tried that, or heard of it. She is not sure it will work, but she is gonna try it, can we have hicama on Atkins? She says she can have it on hers, but I never even thought about it so it was never a question until now!!! Stephie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-17-03, 22:15
Carol CA

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Lightbulb

Hi, Steph! Good to see you posting again, girl! You need to start a journal here.

Regarding hicama... I haven't looked it up... but just off the top of my head, I would think that it would be pretty high in carbs. It's in that root family... and most of the underground veggies are high in carbs. Plus... when you eat it, it just has that starchy texture. Now you've got me curious, though. I'm going to go look it up.

Nice seeing you!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 11:50

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

Yes you can have jicama - it's on the allowed foods list for Induction.

Try breading the zucchini strips with keto crumbs. It tastes great! I did the same with turnip as well. Toss the strips in olive oil, add the crumbs and mix well then I baked them. If using zucchini, drizzle with lemon juice for serving.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-01-03, 17:35

Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

DDMariana
I tried the fried zucchini with your mixture suggestion of parley,paprika parm. cheese etc and it was very very good-I liked it much better then using soy flour.

After I fried the zucchini in olive oil I used the same pan drippings to cook my hamburger patty and it added a great flavor to it also.
THanks again!!
YUM YUM!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-02-03, 09:11

Stats: 240/205/145 Female 5' 9-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 37%

Julienned zucchini, deep-fried, is about as close as I'll ever get to French fries again, but that's just fine with me because they are SO delicious!

Once I started replacing potatoes with all the yummy things you can make with cauliflower and zucchini I wondered what I ever saw in potatoes. Just MHO.

Karla
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 12:49

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

No one has mentioned crushed pork rinds with egg, butter and garlic. I hear they're good. I made them the other day, but ran out of pork rinds. Do you know how hard it is to batter them without those?

I read in the Seattle Times 2 weeks ago that there's this lady somewhere (in the US?) that is creating LC fries to sell as mass market. They are made with cauliflower. Which makes sense, since we make our "Mashed potatoes" using cauliflower.

She's got a great idea!

Hugs, Annie
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 13:06

Stats: 180/140/130 Female 5'7
BF:22.7%(about)
Progress: 80%

I LOVE FRIED ZUCCHINI I loved it before I started LCING and I love it now, it is sooooo yummy!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:37
Registered Member

Plan: the South Beach Diet
Stats: 155/150/130 Female 5-3
BF:
Progress:

This is my co-workers recipe!!! This is delish!!!!!!!!!!!

slice zucchini (I used two medium sized) and sauté in olive oil. When it starts getting soft, I add 1 can of diced tomatoes with jalapenos. I then shove them over to the side and cook hamburgers in the same pan. When the burgers are done, I put the zucchini back over the burgers and simmer for a while.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:50

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Oh my! I forgot about the yummy fried zucchini my Mom used to make when I was a kid!! And...I have a lot of zucchini in my fridge now, too! I think I'll try to remember how she did it...I think she sliced them, dipped them in egg, rolled it in some kind of flour (here I could use soy protein flour....or a LC bake mix) and just fried them in the pan! We had them seasoned with lots of butter, salt & pepper.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-03, 14:51

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Oh yeah....and she sliced onions the same way, and fried them along with the zucchini!

I think I'm getting hungry.......
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 10:55

Plan: self invented mix of all
Stats: // Male 165
BF:I have no idea
Progress:

You can also grill them. Mmmmm! I love them fried, cooked, grilled. The same with aubergines.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 12:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I make my coating out of ground almonds and plain soy protien. I add all my spices. Then in a egg wash I put in whatever I want to fry. Then dredge in the mix and into the fryer. Last night I made japeno poppers this way. YUMMY. I have used it to fry shrimp, catfish, zucchini, poppers, eggplant, hell anything you want to fry