Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 21:57
Registered Member

Plan: Scarsdale
Stats: 196/172/145 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 47%
Red face breakfast ideas, anyone?

I've been on induction exactly 2 weeks today. I can't look at another egg! I can't even smell bacon anymore without wanting to be sick! I need more breakfast ideas. Does anyone have original ideas excluding eggs or bacon?

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-02, 23:58

Plan: Trim-Wise: LifeForce International
Stats: 213/209/150
BF:32%/??/ 21%
Progress: 6%
Talking Eat backwards

You know, nothing says you *must* consume bacon and eggs for breakfast.

What about having a burger with a slice of American cheese? Or some cold steak with a splash of Worcestershire and a little Parmesan? Or good ol' sausage patties with a dollop of sour cream?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 00:17
Registered Member

Plan: high protein/low carb
Stats: 160/160/130 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 0%

yeah, you dont have to go for "standard" breakfast ideas. who says you cant have the same kinda things you have at lunch for breakfast? try eating some tuna w/ mayo, some salami and cheese, some sausage, different lunchmeats, etc. or even your leftovers from the night before. use your imagination hehe.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 07:00
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up

Hey, thank you for the ideas. You're right... I could even have some poached salmon with pesto butter.... hmmm... I can taste it now.

I know this may sound ridiculous, but what is American cheese? Being Canadian, I don't know what kind of cheese that is. Is it processed slices wrapped in plastic?

#5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 07:35

Cool GAH! Not Processed, thanks!

"American" cheese is a cheddarlike variety, but it's less "bity," more mild in flavor. It's sold in bricks or in slices. I buy mine in packaged slices, but *not* the ones that are individually wrapped. Overpackaging is one of my economic/ecological bugaboos. You could certainly substitute *any* cheese for it, as long as it's not *processed!*

Yes, you can *get* American processed cheese, but that's got more carbs in it than "natural" cheese. I don't claim to know what they do to it, but it adds carbs to a food that has practically none in its natural state. I never was fond of processed cheese (or even better, "processed cheese food"--what does cheese *eat* anyway???) to begin with. Now I have a perfect reason *not* to buy it!

So, the corrolary to my answer to your real question is: Use whatever kind of cheese you like to have on burgers; substitutions are allowed!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 07:50
Registered Member

BF:

Ok! I hate processed cheese.. it's like melted plastic. Way too artificial for me. We have mild cheddar here, so I'll use that.

Has anyone tried that flax-o-meal stuff? I wonder if it's any good. I suppose I could try that for breakfast too, eh?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 07:57

Thumbs up FlaxOMeal is a GIFT!!!!!

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Um... sure, I've tried it. It's ok.

Honest to Pete, I *love* it. I've tried every flavor they make and of course I got hooked on the chocolate, which is now discontinued. (I have a little hoard of it, though.... it's precious as gold.) I just finished my bowl of butter pecan with Splenda and heavy cream and a tablespoon of butter! YUM!!!!

Their pancake mix is tasty, too.

I've reviewed FlaxOMeal in the FlaxOMeal thread over in Product Reviews--I don't know how to link you, or I would. I've also raved about it in my journal. G'wan and have a read if you're so inclined.

FlaxOMeal is a *lifesaver*--once you're off induction, that is. It's a no-no while you're doing that part of the plan.

Good eatin' to ya!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 08:40
Registered Member

BF:

Hey, thanks!

Now I just have to figure out where I can buy the stuff here in Canada. So much more is a vailable to you Americans than here!

Thanks for the info. It sounds delicious!

Jess
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 08:45

Default Check the Products Forum

I *know* you Canucks can get the stuff somewhere; IslandGirl (Judy) runs a food co-op, IIRC, for that very reason. Go over to the Products Forum and poke around--I'm not sure where the threads are, but they're there. I know they are.

Best of luck to ya!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-02, 09:03

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

hi Jess,
Have you tried the Mock Danish? The recipe is somewhere around this forum. Doreen gave us a recipe for Muesli, and I found a recipe for Ricotta Pancakes in Fran McCullough's cookbook-The Low-Carb Cookbook. Both the Mock Danish and the Ricotta pancakes have eggs in them, but they give you a variety of types of food to eat. Now if any of that is allowed on Atkins, I don't know. But they are considered Low Carb. Check out the Low Carb Cookbooks in your public library. I found several. Victoria