Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 18:19

Plan: Paleo-Neander
Stats: 178/173/125 Female 5.6 in.
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default People that just keep gaining weight on Atkins?

I have been on Atkins almost 2 months now and have only gain weight, I wonder if you knew of any problem that make you gain weight on this diet?

People on this forum have help me along this time to make some adjustments in order to help me lose weight, but I have gain weight..

Food Changes I did

I stopped any kind of dairy (for constipation)
I stopped all process food (aspartame, mayo, syrups, etc.)
I have been Ketosis all this time (strip test)
Water 1 galon a day
Exercise 5 days a week
20g. Net carbs or lower
65% to 80% fat depending on the days.
1200 to 1500 calories a day (if I added more I gain more)
Just ate the meats, eggs, olive oil, bacon, salads (greens only)
Medical Conditions this month.

My Hypothyroid (just checked and was ok)
My PCOS (on the pill 2 months now)
Cortisol Levels (one point hi, not to worry)
Insuline Resistant blood test (I am ok)
Pre-Diabetic or diabetic (I’m not)
I was just thinking I must have something wrong, but what? Maybe someone here can have a clue of another weird special thing I might have that I don’t know off… or reason why my body is gaining weight... Thanks..

Last edited by cucu : Fri, May-28-04 at 18:59.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: Low-Carb Diet Solution
Stats: 188/154/135 Female 65
BF:more than I want!
Progress: 64%
Default body fat

Have you lowered your body fat percentage? Perhaps since you are great at exercising (my weakness), you have gained muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat, so your body might be changing but the scales aren't showing it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 18:49
Registered Member

Plan: own plan
Stats: // Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 77%

I have read some of your posts on the paleo board. I think your body is just trying to recover from all the dietary stress its been through over the years (for example, your long fasting and raw vegan diet probably caused your body to catabolize its own muscle). In fact, you might not lose weight for a while, but it will continue to repair tissue and muscle damage. The body is incredible in this way, if you give it the proper materials it will work back to some kind of equilibrium. For me, I had to see my body as very ill--and good health comes before any weight loss. You are on the right track. Just be patient

Also, I really don't think you are eating enough at all (1200 cal or less). You really need all the nutrients you can get at this point.

Last edited by hazelnut : Fri, May-28-04 at 18:56. Reason: one more thing
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 18:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut
I think your body is just trying to recover from all the dietary stress its been through over the years (for example, your long fasting and raw vegan diet probably caused your body to catabolize its own muscle).

"Catabolize"? what does this mean?, how long do you think a body can take to recover?... is a very intresting point, I did enroll in huge major fasts...and well I start eating meat just 3 months ago..
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 19:00

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

have them check your thyroid for EVERYTHING.

my doc at first said it was ok and then did a test for EVERYTHING and found out it was WAAAY below normal.

docs still don't know everything about hypothyroidism.

good luck.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 19:11
Registered Member

Plan: own plan
Stats: // Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 77%

I had past eating disorders and fasted a lot (also did raw). When your body isn't getting what it needs to survive, it starts eating (catabolism) its own muscle to survive. Also, I agree with Flynnlee-- you should definitely have very thorough and complete thyroid tests done-- I have found hypo to be common amongst ex-vegans.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 12:53

BF:

I really hope the reason is that I am recovering inside, but it has been 40 days now.. is kind of long.. I hate to wait that long
I am adding more exercise to my days and see if this will help, because it is true that I feel a lot better on this diet in many ways…

But I nee to lose weight…
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 13:12
Slow and Steady

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 238/214/130 Female 67
BF:51%/41.7%/?
Progress: 22%
Wink

For what it's worth...40 days is not a long time for your body to recover. Plateaus are basically your body re-adjusting to weight loss, and I've had some that lasted for 6 months at a time. Everyone is different. I suggest you hide your scale in a closet and stay away from it for an entire month. Measure yourself now, and again in a month as well. Stay on plan with your food, water and exercise and I'm willing to bet you will see a difference
With me, the whole time I was plateaud I continued to exercise, eat right, and drink my water. When the inches started to move again I dropped 9 of them in a 3 week period of time. Followed by a 3lb. drop on the scale the week after that! Losing weight is not for sissies. It's hard work and it takes determination, persistence, and above all..patience. Stay the course and it will happen for you.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 13:16
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Forty days of low-carbing is not going to instantly clear up the damage caused over the years.

This is the way I look at it... A great imbalance has been created by going too far in one direction. Now the pendulum has to swing far in the other direction. When your body has repaired itself, the pendulum will come to rest in the middle which is where it should be.

Your body has survival as its first task. It does what it has to do to keep you alive and functioning. Let it carry on it's repairs and be patient.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Mon, May-31-04 at 01:02.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-30-04, 19:34

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Just wondered if you have measured yourself, maybe you could be losing inches first???? Good luck!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-31-04, 10:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
A great imbalance has been created by going too far in one direction. Now the pendulum has to swing far in the other direction. When your body has repaired itself, the pendulum will come to rest in the middle which is where it should be.

“The Pendulum analogy” by Karen…lol
This will help me in those moments I get very angry because I don’t lose weight and remain me that I have done a lot of damage to my body in the past…