Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 07:30

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Angry Jerk Coach Gave My Kid Bad Advice:-(

I'm steaming mad at my kids football coach. Kris came home from practice last night and told me to make "lots of pasta" for him on Friday night for supper and lots of carbs for breakfast because they have a game on Saturday.
I told Kris that the carbs would only spike his energy and then plummet within a few hours. I told him to have a big helping of lean protein (thought the fat would upset his stomach) and vegtables instead because the protein would be better for him and would give him sustained energy. I suggested a few eggs a a peice of ham for breakfast etc.
He answers me that "coach said that wouldn't be good for me" and he totally refuses to listen to me because "coach" knows ALL.
I can't really talk to the coach about it because I don't want Kris to be singled out or treated differently because the coach gets mad at me and I don't think the argument is worth it because I would never change his point of view on carbs but does anyone know any sites on the net I can get a pro protein/exercise article I can print up for Kris? He is 13 and all of a sudden I know absolutly nothing.

Nibby
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-11-03, 07:49

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 357/291/175 Female 68 in
BF:52.54%/46.5%/25%
Progress: 36%

I don't have any advice, unfortunately, just a big hug. ((((((((Nibby)))))))))
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-12-03, 20:19

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 280/253/160 Female 5'4"
BF:50+/44.4/25
Progress: 23%

Hi Nibby,

Don't quote me.... cause this is coming from the dim recessess of an aging memory.... and even then scientific evidence may have changed since then, but when my son was swimming at national level, there was a lot of credence given to carb loading for the 24 hrs prior to a major event..

Cant remember the science.... but the extra carbs in that time were supposed to do something that slowed the lactic acid build-up, and allowed a longer period of sustained effort before the muscles started hurting..

It did seem to work for my son... and we were told it could only be used occasionally...

Maybe you could effect a compromise.... cause I agree with you about the protein bit too.... and the effects of the blood sugar drop.....

My suggestion... make him large servings of pasta carbonara....
" " Lots of crispy bacon is tossed with hot, buttered noodles, whipped egg and cream, and a generous measure of Parmesan cheese to make this delicious classic. Stir until the heat of the pasta cooks the eggs, then serve with parsley and ground pepper. " and/or
spaghetti bolognaise... with lots of meat, tomatoes and cheese...
seems that would cover both bases...

Good luck to him for this big game..
Good luck to you as you go into this time where he doesn't think you know anything... hes just growing up.... they all do it.... but it will take a couple of years before he realises just how much you have learnt in those years.... lol..

hugz
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 08:26

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Thanks everyone!
Last night I made him seasoned rice and steak for supper. He ate little of either, then exercised and weighed himself.
I'm a bit worried, he is at that age perfect for an eating disorder and he has always been just a teeny plumpish but very athletic.
Anyway its pouring rain and he is playing his heart out somewhere with my husband rooting him on:-)
I hope they did better than last week but hey, he likes it for the game itself and thank goodness not just for the winning.
Thanks for the meal suggestions, now its to get him to eat it!
He always will be a sugar/salt addict and would throw over a steak dinner for the doughnuts any day.
Just hope he doesn't turn out diabetic like me:-(
Nibby