Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-02, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Somersizing
Stats: 194/184/160
BF:
Progress: 29%
Talking 85% Cocoa Chocolate

Hello fellow LCers!! I was in London Drugs today and was pleased to see that the Lindt 70% cocoa choc had been replaced with 85% cocoa!!!
Seeing that the 70% is just over 2 carbs per square (11 g per 40g/1.4oz) I was curious as to the carb count for the 85%. I guess it's relatively new 'cause I couldn't find it anywhere I looked. Logically it should be around 1-1.5 per square?? It's not very sweet but, for the lover of chocolate, it has potential!!

Sunshine Smiles!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 16:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default Lindt 99% Chocolate

Which London Drugs (where in BC?) did you find the 85%?

By the way, a good way to estimate the actual carbs is to assume that 15% (100 minus 85) is added sugars, so 15% of a bar BY WEIGHT will be sugar carbs. 13g NET carb in 100g unsweetened chocolate plus another 15 would be 100g of 85% chocolate with a total of 28g NET carb. If it was a total weight of 50g for the whole bar, you'd have about 14g per bar (how many squares in your bar?).

Quote:
Unsweetened Chocolate, for 100g is 522 Calories; 55g Fat (76.3% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 28g Carbohydrate; 15g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol; 14mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 11 Fat.

PS: I was in Urban Fare, in Vancouver, for the first time yesterday. They've got the quality Lindt at 70% cocoa mass and at (check this) 99%! Which means 1 g of added carbohydrate over and above the natural carbs in pure cocoa... in a 50g bar, that means all of 0.5g added sugar ... and yes, I tried it and one CAN'T taste the sugar but it makes one heck of a quality alternative to Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate from the grocery store, though somewhat more expensive.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Fri, Feb-22-02 at 17:08.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 17:59

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

You can buy the 85% cocoa Lindt bars at the London Drugs at Tillicum mall.

I have had the 85% and the 70% but by far I prefer the 70% because it isn't as bitter as the 85%.

BTW BC Babe, how did you figure the carb count for each square? I can't remember seeing any breakdown on the packaging and I even checked the Lindt website for nutrition breakdown but they don't list anything like that.

I usually keep myself to 2 squares at a time but I would like to know the actual carb content.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 18:12
Registered Member

I got the impression BCBabe was guessing, HomeGirl, which is why I threw in the above calculation... but I still need to know how many squares in the 85% bar to guestimate the carbs per square as you asked. It's NOT on the label.

By the way, in other researches about chocolate, I stumbled on the fact that BitterSweet and SemiSweet (and probably Milk, too) Chocolate have been around for so long and are so "well-known" that they are actually exempt from the Nutrition Info (counts), mostly... in Canadian food regs, anyway!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-02, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / Somersizing
Stats: 194/184/160
BF:
Progress: 29%

Holy Moly Judi !!
Wow. Math has never been my strongest skill so I'll take your word for it!
99% cocoa, you say. Hmmm...would be good for baking but I just like to melt it slowly in my mouth and I need a tad bit'o sweet to enjoy it. I also like to make hot chocolate with it and a little goes a long way!!
The bars are Lindt Excellence and are 100g each (10 squares I think) I got mine at the LD's here in Ladner. They were on sale for $2.48 a bar so I bought 8!!

Homegirl...I got the carb count from Fran McCullogh's book, "Living Low-Carb" pg.301. Carbs per 40g = 11g (70% cocoa). She says "one generous square runs a little over 2 g". It is actually the lowest carb bar of all the brands that she lists. Not a bad deal. I do prefer the 70% for eating (sugarsugarsugar) but I don't mind the 85% (keeps me from eating too much!)I have found that I have to eat it a little earlier in the day or I'm up all night!!! Great for puttin' the zip in your do-da!!!

SS!!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-23-02, 02:56
Registered Member

Default here's another DELICIOUS real chocolate

but eat with caution....

ScharffenBerger Bittersweet Chocolate, 70% Cacao (or cocoa mass to us), a VERY GENEROUS sized serving of ~1 oz (actually 30g), and 150 cals, 12g fat, Total Carb 14g and Fiber 3g (net 11g).

I've taste tested it and it is TRULY delicious and dark.