Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-28-04, 19:48

Plan: Vegetarian - tried many
Stats: 130/130/115 Female 5' 3"
BF:24.72
Progress: 0%
Thumbs up Finally my time to lose?

I first tried low carb diets back last January, and much to my discouragement, despite following the plan religiously I simply wasn't losing weight. Actually, I gained 2 lbs. I was doing this with my mom, who lost 9 lbs in no time. She would cheat adn cheat yet the pounds and the inches still managed to melt off. I would follow word for word what was given in the meal plans by dr atkins and yet I failed.
About a month and a half later (and still 2 lbs heavier tahn i was prior to starting th diet) I went to the doctor to check out an odd rash I had on my neck. After a series of tests it was found to be candida. I happened to mention this to my mother, who then recalled the chapter in the atkins book on candida.
I wanted to cry as soon as i finished reading that chapter... im not sure if it was from joy or depression. I felt like finally I had an answer, like it wasn't just the world playing a sick joke on me. I had an answer to why I wasn't losing, it wasn't that i was doing something wrong, it was simply that my body was experiencing other problems that interferred with my weight loss.
I started with a topical cream, but that failed to do much of anything so after several weeks I returned to the doctor who gave me some pills. the pills were awful. I didn't know what was causing the problems at the time, but i was debilitatingly lethargic, I was horribly moody, I had a constant feeling of needing to vomit, I was depressed, and so the list goes on. Finally I thought to check out some side affects of the drug and sure enough, all that I was going through were stated. I quit the meds, but I think they were able to do the job before I stoped. I no longer seem to have any of the candida symptoms and my rash is gone.
Finally, nearly six months later I think I am ready to go back to those 'wonderful' two weeks of induction to see if i can finally pass the test-
wish me luck
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-06-04, 05:39
Getting back to me

Plan: LC WW
Stats: 176/167.2/145 Female 5'7" in
BF:
Progress: 28%

Good luck!

Have you tried using Oil of Oregano?

Dana
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-04, 10:36
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

I don't know if it's recommended to aid in weight loss, but liquid grapefruit seed extract (gse) is GREAT!! for getting rid of candida. Here is a link with lots of great info: Candida Page

Dr. Crook's Yeast Connection Handbook is also full of great info and a quiz to determine the severity of your problem. Got mine at Barnes & Noble and it wasn't expensive. I also have the Candida-Albicans Cookbook. The Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook I borrowed from the library has more info on herbs and supplements than you ever thought you'd need to know. Essiac tea is a good thing for cleaning unwanted substances from your system. Got mine from my chiropractor and brewed it myself. If you want to chat more about it, anyone, feel free to stop by my journal and ask. I have more info stashed away and stuff in my journal too I'd be happy to dig out for anyone. Might motivate me to get back on tract myself!!