Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 21:48

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%
Question Does Anyone Mind If I Scream

Day 65 on Atkins and I've lost a WHOPPING 6lbs
5 of those lbs were in the first 2 weeks.
I lost a few inches at first but none since.

I never go above 20 carbs per day.
Around 1085 calories
65% fat
30% protein
5% carbs
I don't eat anything that is not allowed on induction. And never more than the allowed amount.
My exercise has been yard work and gardening. Monday I started doing the Leslie Sansone 1 mile walk.

I have been taking a multi vitamin and CO Q10.
Have also started taking L'Carnitine this week.
My DH has lost 34 lbs in the same period of time eating the same foods except he has ADDED nuts and berries

Now, I have relatives coming for a week who don't approve of the Atkins plan.
I AM THROUGH WITH MY SCREAMING NOW AND I AM SORRY IF I HURT YOUR EARS
I don't know what to do and just had to get it all out.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 22:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 270/235/150
BF:
Progress: 29%

I would eat more calories. I think your calorie intake is low and there may be a possibility that your body thinks it is "starving" and is holding on to its fat.

Also, I would eat more fat. This would prevent any extra proteins to be converted to fat.

Drink plenty of water.

It is hard to figure out what might not be working in a diet, without seeing your diet. If you can post an average day of eating it might be easier to help you.

However, those are my suggestions.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 22:52

Stats: 137/115/110 Female 5'1"
BF:27%/20%/17%?
Progress: 81%
Default Gram,

Hang in there!

I agree, your body might think it's starving and may be clinging onto those fat cells for dear life.

In my case, I lose VERY slowly at 20 carbs or less, but when I upped my carbs (with VEGGIES) to 25, I started dropping pounds like crazy!!!

It took a huge leap of faith, but I'm SO grateful I finally listened to some of the oldtimers and gave it a try!

Now I'm at 30 net carbs/day and still losing faster than I did on Induction. (Still getting most of my extra carbs from veggies, FYI). If this keeps up, I'm moving up to 35.

Try upping your veggie intake by five carbs and see what happens. You can always go back if it doesn't work, and remember: Nobody ever got fat by eating veggies. They're good for you.

You may have other issues that are slowing you down, such as one or more of the following culprits:

Candida
Thyroid problems
Any medications you may be taking
Water intake (are you getting at least 10 glasses a day?)
LC shakes, bars, candies & sweeteners (you may have to cut these out if you've been indulging--they stall some people)

Read up on these on the boards, the Atkins site or on the Internet for more information.

Good luck! Don't give up! Our bodies may work at their own pace, but this WOL works! You'll make it!

Ophelia
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 23:17

Stats: 220/188/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Hey, Gram,

About those relatives who don't approve of the Atkins diet...who cares? Just don't bring it up. You don't need their approval, do you?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 04:55
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

I have to jump on the needing more calories ban wagon to, I broke out of my stall when I started making sure I got 10 times my weight in calories. Isn't it a great diet when people tell you, you have to eat calories in order to loose!

When I did WW, it was also the same, if I ate everything they told you to for the day I lost better.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 04:59

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

I was under the impression the lower the calories the faster the weight loss - not true. I have to stay around 1300-1570 calories a day and 20-25 carbs for loss. Up your calories and make sure your fat percentage is 65% or above - - you should see a faster loss (less any underlying problem - i.e. hormonal)
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 06:28

Stats: 155/143.0/135 Female 5'4"
BF:?
Progress: 60%

Hi - I would add more exercise. Yard work and walking are fine for overall general health, but if you want to lose weight, you need to do some aerobic (really get your heart cranking for 20 min or more) and also start doing some weight training. I'm struggling with a "slow metabolism", and I find that if I get 1 hr 5 days a week of "gym exersise" the weight will come down, although slowly. Of course, you don't need a gym to do all this.
Good lucjk -
Diane
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 06:49

Plan: MOP
Stats: 169/159/135
BF:45%/42%/ 35%
Progress: 29%

Remember the rule that one should never drop below 1200 calories a day on any food plan. I would say add more fat. I keep mine at around 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs and have started losing again after a month stall. I did decrease my calories a bit and increase the exercise, too.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 07:12
Urban Jungle Denizen

Stats: 180/165/150 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Lots of good advice, not too much to add!

Are you using Fitday? It's really easy to see if you are getting enough fat and calories.

I think the walking will help too. I think you need a sustained activity, and gardening just doesn't provide that.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 08:31

Stats: -/-/145 Female 5' 4"
BF:It Just Can't Be!
Progress: 0%
Smile Thank You To All Who Replied

What a "whiner" I was last night.
The made me do it. LOL
I will up the carbs a little with vegs. And will use the Fitday.

It's my brother who is coming for a visit. We are very close. I think when he sees what we eat he will have a change of heart about Atkins. I hope so cause he is going to be served some of the same thing we're eating.

I plan on having a few extra things around for them also like bread. We are to the point where those things don't bother us anymore.
I made the broccoli and cheese casserole the other day and it is so good I am sure they would enjoy it too.

Anyway, thanks for all of the advice and encouragement. It is greatly appreciated.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 09:59

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Yes, not enough calories for you. Your body thinks it's in a famine. How can your DH lose while eating the same as you? The male metabolism is faster, because there is more muscle mass. Females have to have a certain amount of fat on their bodies in order to continue the species. Up the calories at first by increasing the amount of fat you take in. It could be through the form of olive oil drizzled on salads, butter melted on vegetables, or adding avocado to salads. See how upping the fat intake works on you. Then, if you are feeling brave, add some nuts or berries here and there like your DH does, maybe your body will react with a whoosh! Good luck LCing!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 10:10

Plan: Atkins (customized)
Stats: 158/137/130
BF:
Progress: 75%

Not standard advise... but the only way I seem to get my weight-loss going again after a stall is to binge for just one night. I suspect my body goes into starvation mode, and giving it what it wants (and then starting induction over again the following day) seems to motivate it to let go off that fat. Maybe take a night or 2 off when your relatives come over (not the entire week though)... and also, make sure you have the willpower to get back on the wagon again before you venture off!

As for your relatives diaspproval... just don't tell them! Make their dinner as carby as they like it.. but keep the carbs off your own plate. I know its hard, but eat fast then run for the kitchen... the dishes will keep your mind occupied (it does mine)!!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 10:33

Stats: 165/145/130
BF:
Progress: 57%
Default Look up Chapter 20

It discusses various reasons for metabolic resistance and states that increasing the fat ratio will generally help.