Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/175/130
BF:41%
Progress: 55%
Default looking for the fastest way to reduce tummy

Help!!! My biggest problem area is my stomach. I have been working out faithfully 6-7 days a week. Alternate weight training and abs (crunches and several machines)/cardio every other day.
I even concentrate on abs when I am weight training. But my clothes are as tight as ever around my waist!! I am starting to see a small amount of improvement in my legs and arms but nowhere else. Am I being over anxious?? How long before I should see real results?? Any advise would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 12:53

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Unhappy spot reducing

I hate to rain on your parade, but it's virtually impossible to spot reduce.
If it were possible, they would not have so many people claiming their product does it. It's just like a magic pill to make you lose 10 pounds overnight. Not gonna happen.

Here is a great explaination from our lovley Nat:

spot reduction

Hope this helps
Peace,
Brenda
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

Working your stomach will eventually help the size and the way it looks, once you lose the fat.
I think we may have similar body types. I've got great legs - long, muscular, defined, - and am fine with my entire body EXCEPT the very soft belly! It seems unfair, but I have resigned to the idea that the rest of me is going to have to get REALLY fatless before my stomach is as flat as I would like.

The only advice is to lose the fat. I know how frustrating that sounds. Weight training has helped with my over all shape though, I am confident that while we might not have the kind of figure that naturally has a tiny wait compared to the rest of our measurements, we can be fit, and eventually get our bellys down.

One thing that helps in the appearance dept is to have built legs and shoulders. The wider the shoulders, the smaller the waist looks. Building glutes really contributes as well.

Stick with it! It will take a while before you see results, and they may be so gradual you might not even notice.
Take measurements. Take some pictures of you in your lingerie, then in 3 months try it on again and see how much better you look in it. If your stomach is your problem area it will be the very last place that you lose fat, it will prob go down a bit as the fat melts off other areas of your body, but it will be slower and take longer.

Meg
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-29-02, 20:09
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

Try doing a minimum of 30 mintutes of low intensity cardio
before breakfast. Make sure to supplement with glutamine
before and after your cardio session.
Post cardio nutrition can consist of something like
a whey protein shake with some flax oil and glutamine.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 21:02

Plan: atkins diet
Stats: 147/145/140
BF:28%/28%/thelowest
Progress: 29%

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Bull
Try doing a minimum of 30 mintutes of low intensity cardio
before breakfast. Make sure to supplement with glutamine
before and after your cardio session.
Post cardio nutrition can consist of something like
a whey protein shake with some flax oil and glutamine.

hi
why can a low intensity cardio after breakfast can help you to weigh down your belly?
i dont understand why
thank you for answering
Sandrita
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 04:51
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

It will help in your over all attempts to lose fat, which in turn should eventually get to your belly.
On top of that, I would recommend interval training a couple of times a week. I've seen better results with interval training than with lower intensity cardio - but that's me.

Meg
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 07:26
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally posted by patsy_can

hi
why can a low intensity cardio after breakfast can help you to weigh down your belly?
i dont understand why
thank you for answering
Sandrita

I personally do not like to do HIIT or "normal" high intensity
cardio on an empty stomach because it targets glycogen
in the muscle which is severly depleted in the morning.
High intensity cardio will start burning a combination of fat and muscle once the glycogen is used up.

Studies have shown that low intensity cardio targets fat, especially
first thing in the morning before breakfast.
I believe that I am protecting muscle and burning the most fat by doing my cardio this way.
I think that cardio on an empty stomach should be done at a low intensity
and for a longer duration of time(40-60 minutes).

BUT,
I will do HIIT cardio on an empty stomach for the two days following
my carb up weekends. I think it's all about experimenting and seeing what works best for you. But this is just my opinion and has been working for me.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-02-02, 13:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/200/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 13%

This is my biggest problem too. Before I had my son, my stomach was totally flat and I had well defined abs. Well....after gaining 130 lbs during pregnancy...my stomach looks horrible. That whole bowl of jello thing that describes Santa could go for me too. YUCK!! I'm actually just doing stuff like Taebo and aerobics and avoiding crunches and situps until I loose most of the weight that I want to. But the stomach seems to be the hardest spot to loose the weight!! Good luck!!! It's hard work, but it'll pay off!!! (((Hugs)))
Jules