Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 06:29

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 175/156/134
BF:
Progress: 46%
Question Carb Counting Question

I went on the LC diet January 01. I got very close to my goal weight, then got off the diet. Most of the weight eventually returned. I know I am a carbohydrate addict. I have been following this thread on the new carb count on the Adkins bars, as I just read the packaging on the bars since trying to get myself back on induction, and thought I had really screwed up! I lost weight easily eating the bars before, and would assume that would be the case this time as well. I am curious as to how I could apply this "new" counting to other packaged foods out there? Does the 2002 Adkins book shed any light? The previous verion does not have you doing any "effective" calculations, just seems to swear off foods such as apples, etc. Would the Kashi cereals with their high fiber content work on the OWL? The Kashi bars show some kind of effective carb count of 3.5, but not sure that they are doing the same math as Adkins.

And if we're counting "effective" carbs, then why are the Endulge bars not part of the induction phase, as they have only 4 "effective" carbs, I think?

I am finding that it is very hard to get back on the induction wagon after having fallen off, than it was the first time around.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-20-02, 07:07

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

There is a difference between "junk" foods and fresh veggies in the way they affect the body.

The "sweetness" of those processed low carb bars can trigger insulin release even though it isn't sugar. Which is why Atkin's tries to get people to completely eliminate those sweet treats out of your menu for 2 weeks. It is an attempt to restore your bodies reaction to releasing insulin.

As for high fiber cereals. How much sugar has been mixed in with it? Your mileage may vary. Only thing you can do is test and find out what your body's reaction is to certain food items. If you find you can eat things without weight gain then things are wonderful. If you find you stall out, then you know that food is to be banned.