Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 18:41

Plan: atkins plan
Stats: 221/221/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Fats for Intro

Hello to all,

I would like to get some ideas for good fats while on intro. I am following the Atkins plan. However, I do not think I am getting in all the fats mostly protein. I have no problem with my water, as I have always been a water drinker. Average water intake is about 340 ozs a day. I also wanted to know about ketosis I went and bought the ketosis sticks. They turn dark; I wanted to know could they turn dark when you are not burning fat or just when you are burning fat. I have so many questions as this is still my first week.
I have read my book by Atkins but I still get a little confused. In addition, these forums are going to keep me going.

Thank You
Punky
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 18:59
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Punky!
I know the Atkins book can seem a little confusing at times, but the info is all there if you keep looking.
Fat wise, he says on page 123 (the 2002 edition) to eat "...pure natural fat in the form of butter, mayonnaise, olive oil, safflower, sunflower and other vegetable oils (preferably expeller-pressed or cold-pressed.)"
He goes into even more detail on page 127. Just make sure you avoid "trans fats" eg margarine.
As for the ketosticks, I personally find them a waste of time and money. You are probably burning fat, as you are losing weight. That is your best guide as to whether or not the WOE (way of eating - diet is a dirty word! ) is working or not.
Ketosticks can change colour as a result of the fat you have eaten (especially if you test after eating a fatty meal) or from ingestion of alcohol. The other main reason the test can be positive is dehydration.
Let me repeat though, Punky, you are probably burning fat.
Good luck, Punky, and keep reading that Atkins "bible!"

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 19:07

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

WTG on that water, Punky! Your test strips are registering dark because you are burning fat. Dark results can be the result of too little water, leading to dehydration, but with as much as you are drinking I doubt that is the case.

As for fats - all fats are good, with the exception of trans fats or fats that are partially hydrogenated. That being said, some fats are better than others. Fats that contain EFAs (essential fatty acids) are just that - essential. They are only available to your body from the foods you eat. These include Omega 6 and Omega 3 and can be found in fatty fish and flaxoil and flax seed. If you browse through the "Genearl Low Carb" forum you will find quite a few discussions on Flaxseed oil and its benefits.

Here are a few links I think you might want to check out - they will answer most of your questions.

Ketosis = weight loss?
Does dietary fat get broken down into ketones, too?
More on Fat and Keeping calories up
Some information on Fats and cooking with oils

Happy reading
Nat