Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 09:57
Kid R

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: // Female 5"1'
BF:Too darn much!
Progress: 90%
Default My doctor's warning about exercise--true?

I saw my doctor this morning for a bronchial infection. He told me not to exercise--not even to lift weights--for a solid week. Why? Because there's a possibility of pneumonia or even "sudden death" from this kind of exertion. As he put it, I'd probably be fine, but there is a small but statistically significant risk.

Huh?? A whole week? By then not only will I have gained weight but I will be a mental basket case.

What do you all think? Is there ANYTHING I can do, like yoga or Pilates?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 16:18

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default I didn't listen to your lungs

so I don't know what it was he heard, or what he knows about your risk profile.

Moderate yoga ought to be pretty much OK. What about walking the dog, or laps around the block? Don't get too far away from home so it's easy to decide to quit, and quit the minute you start breathing hard.

You might be surprised how quickly you get tired when you're sick.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 16:24
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

I'd listen to the Doctor. Why take the chance when it's only for a week. It could be good for you. The recovery time may just make you stronger. Did you know that most powerlifters won't workout for a week before a competition. It makes them stronger by giving the muscles time to rest and rebuild.

Arnie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:20
Kid R

Thanks, guys. They just phoned me with test results and I already have pneumonia, so I guess I will have to take it easy for the time being.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:48

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hope you recover soon. Just keep eating LC and you'll be Okay. And a few pounds don't compare with getting better. Follow the Doctor's orders and get some rest. Antibiotics can make you tired. So can being sick.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 00:04
Contributing Member

Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseTattoo
Thanks, guys. They just phoned me with test results and I already have pneumonia, so I guess I will have to take it easy for the time being.

I've had pneumonia. I couldn't even walk slowly without running out of breath. Take care of yourself and I hope you're feeling better real soon.

Arnie
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 05:17
Kid R

Thank you all so much! I actually don't feel very bad at all--I guess the meds have already made a difference. But I will take everyone's advice and go slowly for the next few days.

You all know what it's like--once you start exercising, it's terribly addictive, and it feels awful to stop. How ironic, considering that I'd been avoiding exercise for years,