Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 01:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Obsessed with my goal weight

Okay this may sound odd but I constantly think about my goal weight and how much left I have to lose and when will I lose again and what will I look like at my goal weight (haven't weighed that in a LONG time) and when will I reach my goal (I've learned I can control getting there but not WHEN I get there). I seriously think about this all throughout the day. I feel obsessed. It is good because it keeps me focused (although I am certainly not perfect on the diet) but it just feels strange to be thinking about my weight and size all day long. Also, I lose slowly so I know it will be a while till I get there so until then I will be obsessing over it. Part of the reason I ate junk food all the time before was I didn't want to be one of those people obsessed with their weight and being perfect. My goals are definately not unrealistic (I still won't be skinny at my goal weight) but I am still obsessed. Anyone else experience this? Do you think it is good or bad?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 01:43

Plan: CAD
Stats: 171/146.0/133 Female 5'4" and 1/4
BF:
Progress: 66%

I'm not obsessed with my goal weight, per se...but I'm definitely obsessed with my body and losing weight. So far I haven't made it past the one month mark with Atkins, so I haven't seen major changes, but I think all the time about what I'll look like once I've lost weight...I'm really trying desperately to have done it by April when I have to be in a wedding...it's the most form-fitting thing I'll have had to wear in public in years and I'll have about a billion pictures taken of me...I definitely feel obsessed. And so far...I haven't lost anything to speak of. How long does it take to notice a difference??
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 01:59

BF:

Hi Sango,
I am 5'4'', I started out at 162 also and you look around my age in your picture. A few people started noticing when I got to around 150. It took me the longest to notice it because I see myself everyday and don't give myself the benefit of the doubt lol. I didn't notice until I saw a picture of me around the time I started in my 2 piece swimsuit compared to a picture my boyfriend took of me in just a tube top and underwear at about 145 pounds. There was a huge difference. Then I saw another before Atkins picture where my face looked different than it does now because it had more fat on it. It was only the past two weeks that I actually notice when I look in the mirror. I can see that my legs, tummy and face lost some fat. But everyone else notices I think. Some people tell me and some are too shy to say anything I think. I hadn't seen my friend for a while and she saw me at 145 and said I looked like I lost a lot. I look in the mirror a lot now because I look different. I mean I look the same but my face and body have changed and I look at it all the time. It isn't a HUGE difference but it is a big improvement. I love it. So it took me 5 months to lose about 20 pounds, if you lose weight at about the same rate as me you'll at least be really close to your goal by April. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 02:06

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Jen

I can certainly understand where you are coming from. I have been low carbing for well over 2 years now and I still think about losing those pounds on a daily basis. For me it certainly helps to keep me focussed on the road ahead as it is a long road, as you will have gathered. Weight loss has become a bit of an obsession with me, so don't get me talking on the subject, but it does not stop me doing my job and other activities in my life to the full. My weight loss is my pet project, I am determined to do it, however long it takes and with so much to lose I see my weight loss in terms of 5 pound chunks.

Every success to you. Those last few pounds will take a while yet and you will need to stay focussed to get there.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 02:07

BF:

5 months to lose 20 lbs? That's a great accomplisment, but nothing like the case histories Atkins uses in his books...I guess my expectations are unrealistic. How long did it take you to lose the first 10? My frustration is that I've never been below 158.5, either the first time I was on atkins (one month this summer) or this time (one month so far). I'm not even close to that number at the moment, since I ate carbs at Thanksgiving. I went up to 165 and am now down to 162 but that's it
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 02:21

BF:

Yeah I'm not built thin either. I was at my current weight 2 years ago but that was because I was on Atkins then too and working out (which I do now again too). I quit and got up to 162 and I hope to get down to 130. This time I am better at it and I actually like it. Let me get out my calendar and I will tell you when I reached 150. Okay, it went like this:

Jul 1: 162
Jul 7: 157.5
Jul 14: 156.5
Jul 21: 155.5
Aug 12: 154
Aug 19: 152 (1 1/2 to 2 months to lose 10 pounds)
Aug 26: 150.5
Sep 26: 146
Oct 24: 145
Nov 9: 143
Nov 24: 142.5
Nov 30: 140.5

Everytime I lose a pound, I go back up a few pounds for around a week and sometimes a few weeks then I lose those few pounds back plus another 1 or 2 within a few days. So I go down then up a little then down even more, etc, etc. It gets frustrating cuz it feels like I gain right after I lose but as long as it's going down in the long run I don't care. I don't want to weigh myself everyday or even every few days anymore though. Good luck, you'll definately get there.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 02:22
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

I won't be preaching to you about how bad it is to obsess Instead I'd say - obsess about something good and constructive - take lots of pictures of yourself, enjoy new clothes and your new look. Before LC I'd kill anyone who was trying to take a picture of me - now I enjoy it! Pictures can show progress no scale in the world will record.......
Also - look at people who are close to their goals and see how long it took them to get there......THAT is inspirational.....

Good luck to you!

Alina
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 02:25

BF:

Thanks for posting those numbers...it is nice to see how progress can be made. Although my numbers are nowhere near as good so far...have you ever gone off the program, if you don't mind me asking? Did it affect your loss?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 06:54
Registered Member

Stats: 161/141/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachjen
Everytime I lose a pound, I go back up a few pounds for around a week and sometimes a few weeks then I lose those few pounds back plus another 1 or 2 within a few days. So I go down then up a little then down even more, etc, etc. It gets frustrating cuz it feels like I gain right after I lose but as long as it's going down in the long run I don't care. I don't want to weigh myself everyday or even every few days anymore though. Good luck, you'll definately get there.

It's always such a relief when I read remarks like this because I'm going through it myself right now! Up and down! Of course, being peri-menopausal doesn't help either!

I just want it all gone but looks like I've months more to go...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 07:57

BF:

Thank you everyone for all of your responses.

"I just want it all gone but looks like I've months more to go..."

I can relate to that. I enjoyed reading what everyone said, thanks for all the advice. Sango, yes, I have done some cheating here and there. The good news is the longer I am LCing the fewer and further between the cheats are. It gets easier. If I can give any advice on cheating it would be 1st try not to do it, if your cravings are for sweets buy low carb candy instead. 2nd if you do cheat do it in one setting rather than saying to yourself "I already cheated so I might as well eat EVERYTHING I want" that philosophy led me to falling off the wagon last time I was on Atkins. If you cheat eat only the item you want so bad and be done with it. The less carbs the better. One time I was out with some friends and we were near this Hagan Daaz ice cream parlor and I really wanted something so I got a 2 scoop sundae with the works. It set me off for a few days but I got past it. Before this woe I ate anything I wanted all the time - a sugar/junk food addict, uncontrollable. I am good now and since I still like sweets I buy lc candy and eat some sometimes and I eat the chocolate nutrition bars (Strive chocolate raspberry and Deluxe S'mores from Trader Joe's). Now...get this...I didn't even cheat on Thanksgiving. I may have had a few extra carbs that day but I wouldn't call it a cheat. See I am getting better and better at it. But, the next day I had 4 chocolate chip cookies in one setting and I didn't gain. I think the smaller the cheats are the better off you will be. Last time I did Atkins if I cheated I would cheat for the rest of the day since I already "blew it" which led me to go off completely after a few days. Don't do that! Just try your hardest and you will get better at it.