Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 21:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Sick of talking about Atkins!

My husband and I have been eating low-carbs for over 3 months now, and have adapted very well. I have lost over 15 pounds (my goal) and he has lost over 30 (still has about 10-20 more to go). We are so happy about it!

People are just now starting to really see the results on me, and the one thing that is starting to drive me nuts is that I can't eat a meal with anyone but my husband without them wanting to talk about Atkins the whole time. Anyone else experience this?

I'm SO happy that people notice, and because I feel great and look great, I want other people to feel the same way - but MY GOODNESS - just buy the book.

Since I'm getting sick of it, I've started to keep my answers short and not get into major details - I tell people that it's not just to "lose a few pounds" - it's a serious decision and if you go on it, and you can't just decide to quit. Then I tell them that the most important thing for them to do is to buy the book, get nutritional supplements and drink a lot of water.

This may seem like a lame thing to be complaining about, but seriously - every meal in the cafeteria at work, and every time I go out with friends.

Thanks for listening!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 23:32

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

Sounds like your answers are good. It is almost impossible to give every detail of the diet so just say that there are a lot of things they need to know and suggest they get the book if they are serious. I get asked all time about it and I touch on the highlights, say how great it is, but tell them that to do it properly they really need to read the book...available in paperback for less than $6 at Wal-Mart.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 00:26

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 68%

Well I'm the opposite. I am like a crazy religious fanatic about the atkins diet b/c it is the answer to my prayers. When I see overweight people I want to tell them so badly that they can put an ending to those horrible food cravings. It isn't all in your head!!! We really can be addicted to certain types of foods but of course you can't just go up and say that to people unless they ask you. My husband knows if someone comes up and asks me he better just sit down and get comfy b/c it's going to be awhile. I will tell them anything they want to know. Too bad this isn't a business b/c I'd get a lot of commission. I just sent one of my atkins books off to my friend b/c she is starting it. I always have about 3 atkins books on hand. One in the house, one in the car, one in the purse. I'm just crazy about the atkins diet and I refer to the book all the time. If someone asks me about the diet I want to make sure they get accurate info b/c there is so much crap out there that is wrong and maligning Dr. A. I am happy to let people know about this miracle!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 07:14

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:

And isn't it wonderful when you say "I'm on Atkins" and someone nearby comes over and says "I'm on Atkins too." Then you begin talking about how much weight you've dropped, how great you feel, etc.

Ever notice that those other people simply turn away?

Shirley
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 07:43

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Ive been experiencing that lately, but not so much. A lady I know asked me how I lost weight, I told her, and she went and got the book, and then asked me for recipes. I try not to push it. It does drive me crazy when people think its just a *diet* and I keep trying to express that its a way of life, forever. And then they automatically think, oh, so you eat nothing but meat and eggs for the rest of your life? Sounds pretty crappy to me! And I TRY to explain and its basically impossible. Once people have in their heads what they wanna think, I find it very hard to make them understand. I usually have chicken on my salad every day, and I eat eggs every morning cuz I LIKE eggs...But they dont get it..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:44

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 417/213/117 Female 62
BF:

My mother in law did frustrate me. She called and asked me to give her detailed advice. I spent an hour telling her how to do atkins. 2 weeks later she told me about this fabulous crabcake dinner she had. I asked her "what happened to atkins?" and she said she was still on it. HUH? Don't think so....according to my husband she is on it occasionally. What is the point of that? Big fat waste of my time explaining it to her.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 283/250.5/190 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm like you Missy. I just tell people who ask me how I lost weight "diet and exercise" which is true, but the diet isn't what they think it is. I've only gone evangelical once, with my brother, who was really interested.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 15:53

Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I tell anyone who cares or not cares to know
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 16:12
Registered Member

Stats: 170/143/130 Female 64
BF:?/29.2/23-OMG

Hmmmmmm
My mom does all the talking for me. Might as well wear a bright orange and green signs that's state: I am doing the Atkins Way Of Life, More Info ----> and that arrow would point to my mom...lol. She is not on this WOL. Time to time I will relate more info to her. She just shrugs it off as I am too old to change...argh! But I know true change has to come from within.
Anway, for me its been different. No one noticed any changes with me...lol. It does come to a BIG surprise for ppl when my mom blares "atkins" or "diet". Not a second goes by of her annoucement do I experience ppl staring at my body, literally sizing me up.....lol. No one says anything after. When I was 12 pounds heavier, ppl thought I was the weight I am now. Now ppl think I am at the weight I *was*.
All in all, ppl are just who they are. Tho i can relate about sick of talkin about atkins - am sick of my mom talking about it and ppl staring at me..lol.
If i really want to annoy them back I talk about things like ketosis, triglycerides, lipolysis, and metabolic resistance. That halts them in their paths..hahaa

Last edited by xerces : Wed, Sep-17-03 at 16:50.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 16:36
Registered Member

Stats: 176/158/135 Female 68.5 inches
BF:i don't even know
Progress: 44%

i can totally relate... My husband's grandmother lives very close to us, and she raised him up, so we would go there all the time for dinners. ANyway, when i told her that i wasn't doing carbs anymore, she wanted to know why, she wanted to know how, etc. Everything would have been fine, but she asks me all the same questions a couple times a day. she'll call me and ask me. i didn't really tell many people besides her and my husband, just to avoid the questions. ya know.. so, when i start losing inches, and people start noticing and they ask me how i did it, i'm going to tell them i finally found something that works. and i'm going to leave it at that...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:04

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

lol sick of talking about Atkins? ME?? Nevah
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 19:56
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Usually, it's the opposite. THEY get tired of ME talking about it...<sigh> Of course, sometimes it's nice to just eat, WITHOUT the commentary. I see your point too.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 23:21

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

MissMissy,
Congratulations on your 113% success! And congrats to your husband as well. He'll get there with your continued support, for sure!
You must be so tired of the comments, and they are kinda humorous, because people mean so well.
But think of it this way, as I'm sure you already do: If you weren't such a success and inspiration, they wouldn't be asking for advice!

Keep smiling and giving the tips you already give. Sooner or later they'll see the weight stay off and then they'll start it for themselves...you may be starting a trend at work!
Hugs, Annie
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 07:49
Registered Member

Stats: 148/144/130 Female 5"5"
BF:
Progress: 22%

I kind of have a different problem. If I tell them I'm doing Atkins, instead of asking me about the diet the first thing they usually ask is "why?" because to them I already look thin enough even though I had weighed 152 lbs. Yes, compared to someone who weighs 300 I guess they can't imagine that 152 would be cause for a diet. And I know my 152 would have become 162 in no time and so on if I didn't nip it in the bud. So I try to avoid even telling people I'm on any diet, which is a shame because this diet does work.
Tricia
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 07:58
Ex-Patriot

Plan: CAD-ish
Stats: 232.5/199/168 Female 5'2"
BF:no/earthly/clue
Progress: 52%

What I get sick of is having to explain, over and over again, that Atkins is not a zero carb diet.

Emily