Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 15:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Is This Guy Insane ???

Atkins Diet: A Critical Review Of Its Effectiveness For Weight-Training Athletes
by Jeffery S. Life, M.D., Ph.D.

Dr. Robert Atkins believes that when carbohydrates are severly restricted and our main energy source, glucose, is eliminated, we will burn our own fat for energy and lose weight. What he doesn't tell us is that fat is not the only source of energy we use when our carbs are restricted. We must also rely on our own protein supplies for energy - sacrificing our muscle and other vital lean tissue! The result - Atkin's dieters achieve weight loss mostly through a loss of water and muscle, not fat, leaving them with a higher percentage of body fat and considerably less muscle tissue.

Carbohydrates, the most important energy source for the brain and exercising muscles, is the only food that can be used for anabolic energy production (like weight training). It is also the most efficient fuel for aerobic exercise (cardio) since it is able to produce energy 3 times faster than fat and requires less oxygen to do so. Also, the more intense the exercise program, the greater the importance of carbohydrates for energy production. At maximal or supramaximal exercise levels, carbohydrates are used almost exclusively for our energy source.

High-fat, low-carbohyrate diets like Atkins' may not only increase our risk for heart disease and many cancers, they greatly reduce our ability to sustain high-intensity exercise. Low liver and muscle glycogen stores (the storage form of glucose), combined with the slower rates we are able to convert fat and protein to glucose, produce a feeling of sluggishness or staleness. This state, which is characterized by increased difficulty recovering from workouts, chronic fatigue, depression, insomnia, poor exercise performance, frequent infections, injuries, and a loss of interest in sustaining high levels of training, is often inappropriately blamed on "the overtraining syndrome."

Any diet that severly limits our intake of carbohydrates will always result in the rapid depletion of muscle glycogen, liver glycogen and water, all essential for our biochemical reactions to operate at peak performance. All of us who have made the Body-For-Life Program a part of our healthy lifestyle depend on glycogen, the master high-performance fuel, for our high-intensity, short-duration exercise, as well as our prolonged high-intensity endurance training. It is through these activities that we are able to create a caloric deficit and tap into our fat stores at a later time to make up this deficit and rid ourselves of body fat while building muscle tissue at the same time - not sacrificing it!

The key to successful training, therefore, is to maintain adequate stores of glycogen in our muscles and liver. This can only be achieved by consuming a carbohydrate-balanced diet. Glycogen depletion will occur over repeated days of heavy training when muscle glycogen breakdown exceeds replacement if we don't consume plenty of carbohydrates on a daily basis between training sessions. Once muscle glycogen has been depleted it can take several days to restore even when a high-carbohydrate diet is resumed. To maintain glycogen stores throughout our Body-For-Life Program, we need to consume a diet consisting of about 3 grams of complex carbohydrates per pound of body weight each day (about 60 percent of total calories) and make sure we get plenty of rest between exercise sessions to give our muscles time to rebuild their stores.

The typical American diet of about 2 grams per pound of body weight each day (300 grams daily for a 150 pound person) just doesn't supply enough carbohydrates for active individuals.
The Atkins Diet, consisting of 0.13 grams per pound of body weight each day (20 grams daily) the first two weeks and then increasing to 0.27 grams per pound of body weight each day thereafter (40 grams daily) doesn't even come close!

My advice - stay away from the Atkins Diet and stick with 6 meals a day with each one consisting of a portion of lean protein and a portion of complex carbohydrates. You won't go wrong because you will not only gain muscle mass and strength while you shed body fat, you will also improve your overall mental and physical health and prevent many serious diseases.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 15:44

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
The result - Atkin's dieters achieve weight loss mostly through a loss of water and muscle, not fat, leaving them with a higher percentage of body fat and considerably less muscle tissue.

Strange...my body fat percentage has decreased since going on Atkins.

Quote:
Carbohydrates, the most important energy source for the brain and exercising muscles, is the only food that can be used for anabolic energy production (like weight training). It is also the most efficient fuel for aerobic exercise (cardio) since it is able to produce energy 3 times faster than fat and requires less oxygen to do so.

How'd the world ever get along before Carbohydrates ???

Quote:
Low liver and muscle glycogen stores (the storage form of glucose), combined with the slower rates we are able to convert fat and protein to glucose, produce a feeling of sluggishness or staleness. This state, which is characterized by increased difficulty recovering from workouts, chronic fatigue, depression, insomnia, poor exercise performance, frequent infections, injuries, and a loss of interest in sustaining high levels of training, is often inappropriately blamed on "the overtraining syndrome."

Now that is hillarious. I had all the problems he claims are caused by Atkins when I was eating 3 pounds of refined carbs a day...But, since going on Atkins...they've disappeared.

Quote:
To maintain glycogen stores throughout our Body-For-Life Program, we need to consume a diet consisting of about 3 grams of complex carbohydrates per pound of body weight each day (about 60 percent of total calories) and make sure we get plenty of rest between exercise sessions to give our muscles time to rebuild their stores.

The typical American diet of about 2 grams per pound of body weight each day (300 grams daily for a 150 pound person) just doesn't supply enough carbohydrates for active individuals.

This guy thinks the AHA diet is too low in Carbs ??? 3g per pound would be 750g a day of Carbs for me. Imagine, what would happen as you began putting on weight and upping your carbs to follow his sugesstions. Can you say heart disease and diabetes ???

Quote:
My advice - stay away from the Atkins Diet and stick with 6 meals a day with each one consisting of a portion of lean protein and a portion of complex carbohydrates. You won't go wrong because you will not only gain muscle mass and strength while you shed body fat, you will also improve your overall mental and physical health and prevent many serious diseases.

Oh yeah...carbs really help you lose weight and stay healthy. That is why eating obscene amounts of carbs, I managed to become 140 pounds overweight, developed an Ulcer, couldn't sleep, etc...
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-03, 16:34
Registered Member

Stats: 269/232/190
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Selling bars?

I found the article on Bo Jackson's site (http://www.betterbar.com/) where he selling his "Betterbars". I had quite a chuckle when I read the ingredients:

28g Carbohydrates (18g sugar)
0g fiber
10g Protein

The first item on the ingredient listing is corn syrup! Sheesh!

Looks to me like your basic candy bar with a little protein thrown in. Blech!

Jeffery's assertions are quite bizarre and I am curious where he got his degrees.

The site has another silly article by David Kennedy http://www.betterbar.com/hiddendangers.html