Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 142/117.5/115 Female 5.4
BF:waist 32/28/27
Progress: 91%
Exclamation I am extremely thirsty all day, worse at nights!

Hi, everyone. I started on the atkins diet a week ago and all seems to be going well except that I am so thirsty all the time. I am drinking plenty of water, I'd say a bit more more than a gallon a day, though tomorrow I will make sure I measure the exact amount I am drinking per day to be sure.
The problem is that I have bouts of extreme thirst and dryness in my mouth, and though I drink and drink it only disappears somewhat...it is much worse at night, when I find myself waking up parched, to drink water I have placed on my nightstand, several times a night.
Is this unusual or a cause for concern? Has anyone else experienced this?
I have looked at many posts that emphasize drinking lots of water, but have not see extreme thirst discussed anywhere.
Besides wanting to lose fifteen more pounds, I am a healthy woman with no physical problems that I know about. Thanks for your response!
Hiding Fox
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 17:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/197/162 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

hang in there. i had bouts of extreme thirst in the beginning too. it does subside a little bit but i find myself dry mouthed pretty often. just keep water handy and drink, drink, drink. good luck on your journey.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 10:57
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Sometimes nighttime thirst is a signal that you're losing rapidly and flushing a lot of toxins out of your system and it's becoming cleaner. The body does most of it's cleaning at night. It takes a lot of cleaning and a lot of water to get rid of years of accumulation, lol!!!

Last edited by Zuleikaa : Thu, Feb-12-04 at 11:03.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 19:49
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 142/117.5/115 Female 5.4
BF:waist 32/28/27
Progress: 91%

Thank you both for your replies. Reading them, I feel better about it, now. I also drank lots of water last night and lots today...my usual arthritis pain in my wrist seems gone, and I've lost another pound and a half, so all seems well but for the thirst! best wishes to you both! hidingfox
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-12-04, 22:40

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%

Something else could contribute to this thirst too. Cutting back carbs, the usual sweets, pastas etc. often means increasing "salty" foods. (Meat, cheese, etc.) Your body reacts either by retaining water or by demanding more water.

Drinking plenty of water have many advantage - as you already saw - for example easing arthritis pain:-)

Cheers:
Eva
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 01:36

Stats: 260/245/150 Female 5'8"
BF:A Little LESS!
Progress: 14%

Thirst is a funny thing to me. On most days I drink lots of water, and it seems the more I drink, the more I want.
BUT, on a day when I am busy, and don't drink as much as I should, I don't seem to get very thirsty. You'd think the opposite would be true. Go figure.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 07:21
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Talking dry mouth has recently

been a major source of irritation and I thought last week it must be due to the NSAIDs I was taking for a recently injured back.
I stopped the NSAIDs, my mouth was better for a few days, then it came back.
It seems to be mostly at night. I wake a lot to pee and my mouth feels like it has been almost blow-torched dry when I awake. During the day, I don't notice it as much but that may be because I have easy access to fluids and can drink a bit of water or other liquid whenever I feel like it.
I hope the above poster is right and it means I am losing lts of weight. That would be a nice trade-off for the unpleasantness of the extremely dry mouth at times.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 01:41
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 199/204/110 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: -6%
Default About your thirst

I read your post about your extreme thirst. Have you had your blood sugar tested? Extreme thirst is a possible symptom of diabetes. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor? Good luck.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 11:21

Stats: 208/186.2/140 Male 64 inches
BF:les/sen/ing
Progress: 32%

I find eating bacon makes me really thirsty for hours after.